The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the Porsellis eizhowa! :woot: At such a great price too! I find I'm the same with ballet flats, I prefer as thin soles and thin leather as possible otherwise I just get blisters.

I've also never thought about wearing a blazer underneath my winter coats, but that's actually a great idea... my current coats are all too fitted to accommodate a blazer, but it's something to keep in mind for my next one.

I'm finding myself a little stuck in between seasons right now. Not sure if I should keep looking for those last items on my f/w wishlist, or call it a day and focus all my energy on planning for spring. I'm still thinking about a black bag, though I still haven't found anything that's just right...

^ Around the turn of the year, I call it a day if I haven't already :wink: But, my spring comes sooner than yours. Did you change your mind about the black bag you got for Christmas?

I'm not sure I really need to break Lanvin ballets in (the elastic may be a bit tight at first), but I do a bit with Anyi Lu. If I start off wearing them with tights, I'm fine.

To me, calluses on your feet are just completely necessary :wink: You may have noticed that when you get a pedicure, they don't take them off completely. You need them to protect your feet ...

Another approach is to wear shoes for just a few hours to start, rather than all day long.

I find as I get older that I want some support for my feet. Actual ballet slippers have zero support ... Lanvin are very nice in this respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ No, I've really been enjoying the bag I got for Christmas, but back in autumn I was searching for a black work/school-bag, something a bit larger and structured (to fit a couple of folders, notebook/tablet, etc.). Lately I've been using the tan tote bag I got last summer, I like it a lot but it's more of a summer bag for me. It kind of bothers me that it's unlined and doesn't close, it doesn't feel polished enough for work. On the other hand I have a black crocodile work tote that I love, but which feels a little too fancy for when I have classes. I need something that works for both, as I often go straight from work to class.

I was also looking for a pair of mid-heel ankle boots, and I've come across a pair of second-hand Acne Pistols in my size that I'm kind of considering...

For spring/summer I have some specific items that I'll be looking for, but right now I'm trying to figure out what type of skirts/dresses to look for. I was searching for a good summer dress last year too but gave up in the end and wore a shorts/loose fitting blouse combo for the warmest days here, which, after seeing the photographs I will never ever be seen in again! :doh: Definitely not my most flattering look. I realize I need my waist defined and not wear anything too loose on top, but I'm having a hard time really visualizing what I want in a dress...For colours I am thinking white/black/pale grey/navy, fabric any kind of cotton/linen/silk combo (no jersey). It's too early to find anything in shops obviously, but I need some ideas early on this year I think!

@Caramel: I am "done" with my winter wardrobe - but I really have everything I need at this point. I don't think I would be looking for more winter clothes even if I had things left on my shopping list - unless it was something urgent (like having no good wintercoat/boots/good knitwear).

Have you checked out Milli Millu? They make really nice bags - in a perfect world I would get a dusty pink Zürich. Also they are somewhat structered and have a seperate room for your computer, one for your folders, a small pocket for your cellphone, one for your little knick-knacks and a bigger room for everything else. It is really easy to organize.

Also I will give the ACNE pistols my best recommendations :smile:

In regards of skirts/dresses, I really like my black full-skirt from Malene Birger - it works great with both a casual outfit like a tee and sneakers, but also with a shirt and heels - and for both every day and fancier occasions. (and with a white blouse and ballet flats in your case :wink:) Maybe that would be an idea?

Regarding dresses I think I would go for something similar - I don't think I would like anything tight-fitting non-jersey on warm days.

I noticed that I am moving away from all black all the time, and actually, that is nice. Last winter I wore black almost exclusively (that is how I remember it, anyhow). These days I often wear black/white/grey at the same time. Generally I really like grey these days - I find it suits my complexion better than black as well. Also I feel like I might be ready to add a little colour - maybe something dusty pink - I am still considering that though, nothing final.

For bags, I am currently stucked on Coccinelle. The prices are between 200 and 300 € on sale, which I find reasonable for a leather bag of excellent quality. I have pinned some models and really have one in mind as my next every day bag. My last black one has been Alexa, which will be 5 yo this Sept. Still looking very sharp though.

In the other news, Hudson brogues arrived yesterday and are so beautiful. :buzz: Almost too sturdy but the fit is perfect for me. Being quite narrow they are looking very elegant I think. Mind the waxed laces. -_-

0pBkedh.png

my pic

^Love your brogues, so elegant! :heart: Congrats!
Coccinelle looks a lot like Prada, great prices and designs.

Glad you're happy with your purchase, jinadaze! Will have to check out your pins. I like the contrast between the patent and the waxed laces ...

PS Which board do you have the bags pinned on, jinadaze? I looked at recent pins where I thought they might be, and didn't find them ...

@Betina: I really like the Zürich bag from Milli Millu, the only thing is perhaps it looks a little heavy? Have you seen it/tried it in real life?

Re. skirts and dresses, I definitely do suit full skirts best, but like I've talked about before I always worry a bit about looking too 'cute', since I already have a bit of that sweet and innocent look going on by default. :rolleyes: I'm still experimenting with how to avoid that. I've been wondering about trying out more of a 70's silhouette, more a-lined than very full skirt...

Your Malene Birger skirt is lovely, I used to have one quite similar which I wore to death (with white shirts/blouses and ballet flats :P ). Perhaps it's time to get a replacement for that...

I've also been obsessing about little white dresses since last year, but since I am trying to look less sweet and innocent I probably ought to get over that. :lol:

This dress is like my perfect summer dress, I would love to find something similar...(from sewstylist.wordpress.com)

Attachments

• summer dress.jpg
    summer dress.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 9
^So you are looking for something knee length, maybe to wear heels with? In my experience, the lower the heel, the shorter the skirt you need (unless you have mile long legs...).

@Caramel: I am not sure if I have seen the Zürich IRL but I have another bag from Milli Millu (the Copenhagen bag), and it is not light-weight but not heavy either. Definetly lighter than my Bayswater.

I can see why you would feel like that. Another idea could be thinking about how you combine things. Like adding your new Tiger og Sweden bag when you wear outfits with full skirts. But I know the problem - it is an issue that I have to deal with myself as well - I look my best in full skirts too IMO. Maybe you should go for seperates, like a full skirt, that might be easier?

I like the dress you posted though. I agree with Eizhowa btw. I would probably need heels for a dress like that as well.

I take back what I said regarding having nothing left on my AW wishlist - I think I need to make a black, classic wool coat a priority next winter. Most days my down jacket or my parkacoat is fine in combination with what I am wearing, but when I am wearing more classic/dressy outfits, a classic coat would be nice.

@eizhowa: I would probably prefer it shorter (just above knee) to avoid having to wear heels (definitely no mile long legs here!). :P Consequently also slightly less full skirted...But I love the overall feel/idea of that dress. I feel like the fabric and colour combination makes it less cutesy, if you know what I mean? So something in a light but slightly textured and drapey fabric (linen, light chambray, etc.) in a neutral colour...I guess that's what I am looking for. I really don't have a clear image of what I want, and I obviously haven't seen it yet either. :lol: Just thinking out loud here...

I have a spring/summer board on pinterest too, but it's definitely more general inspiration and ideas than specific pieces.

@Betina: I agree, combination is definitely key! I'll be looking for both a skirt and a dress I think.
Re. bags, that sounds good, the Bayswater is not too heavy imo. :flower:

What kind of coat are you looking for? Something sharp/tailored? I'm guessing nothing oversized? :wink:

@eizhowa: I would probably prefer it shorter (just above knee) to avoid having to wear heels (definitely no mile long legs here!). :P Consequently also slightly less full skirted...But I love the overall feel/idea of that dress. I feel like the fabric and colour combination makes it less cutesy, if you know what I mean? So something in a light but slightly textured and drapey fabric (linen, light chambray, etc.) in a neutral colour...I guess that's what I am looking for. I really don't have a clear image of what I want, and I obviously haven't seen it yet either. :lol: Just thinking out loud here...

I have a spring/summer board on pinterest too, but it's definitely more general inspiration and ideas than specific pieces.

@Betina: I agree, combination is definitely key! I'll be looking for both a skirt and a dress I think.
Re. bags, that sounds good, the Bayswater is not too heavy imo. :flower:

What kind of coat are you looking for? Something sharp/tailored? I'm guessing nothing oversized? :wink:

Oh god no :lol:

Something fitted with a high amount of wool and a low amount of synthetic material in the fabric. Ideally something between these two coats:

I like both of them in different ways - I am NOT a fan of the pockets on any of them though, but I feel like the coats would be too simple without them -.-

74a49541ba65a4f6db4c9249cad6d00d.jpg

2ea06853dc92fab68b6bae1a221ee5e8.jpg

pics via zara.com and tigerofsweden.com

PS Which board do you have the bags pinned on, jinadaze? I looked at recent pins where I thought they might be, and didn't find them ...

I moved them to the Bags board Nymphaea created. :flower: You should be able to see them anyway though.
Btw, Caramel, do I have you on Pinterest? I can't recall adding you.

As for the dresses/skirts, I prefer full or A-line ones too, above the knee. Mainly because of my long torso and hourglass figure. But I came across 7/8 dress the other day, thought it would never suit me, tried it on (with flat chelsea boots) and it did. :blink: I am planning to wear it this Friday to a party. With black knitted tights, Tommy Hilfiger heeled ankle boots in combination of leather and suede and a winter coat. I will need another layer just to get there, have to think about that.

zara

Attachments

• GETGLoLl.jpg
    GETGLoLl.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • 8CL5NfKl.jpg
    8CL5NfKl.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1
Is there anyone living in Holland who will go to Paris or London and can buy me the dark navy porselli's in size 41. I went to belgium but they didn't have that size :(

^You go to university right? There is always someone (who knows someone who knows someone) going to Paris or London who can bring a pair home:wink:

My experience is that Porselli is usually poorly stocked in stores. At least in London there are very few shoes avaiable. I think they were about 170 GBP in London, and only APC (and not Toast) had a sale on the Porsellis. Such a shame they didn't have your size in the Toast online sale:(

You could try to phone the APC/Toast store in London and ask if they have your size in stock. They might be able to mail it to you. I called the last time I was in London, because APC is not in the city centre and I didn't feel like going there if they didn't have them in stock. I think it is normal good service to help out like that.

I almost always wear full skirts, but I don't think I ever look cutesey...boots. Wear boots, preferably chunky tough ones, tall or short. I also wear nice biker jackets and chunky bracelets and stuff like that. Blazers. You need masculine foil. I'd wouldn't wear pumps with skirts except for dinners or receptions. Hairstyle also makes a difference.

Jinadaze: Gorgeous brogues btw! Congrats!
Caramel: I love that "perfect summer dress" too, would be mine too <3 not difficult to sew, no?

@Jinadaze: I *think* I just found you/added you on pinterest, so you can follow me too if you'd like. :wink: I forgot to compliment your new brogues too, they are lovely! :flower:

@Melisande: I don't know about boots in summer, though! :wink:
You're right, that dress is probably not too difficult to sew, and actually I did find it on a sewing blog so that lady made it herself, from a 1980's pattern I believe. :wink: I've been in such a sewing funk lately, so I am trying to avoid thinking about the fact that I can just make something myself... :ninja:

@Jinadaze: I *think* I just found you/added you on pinterest, so you can follow me too if you'd like. :wink: I forgot to compliment your new brogues too, they are lovely! :flower:

@Melisande: I don't know about boots in summer, though! :wink:
You're right, that dress is probably not too difficult to sew, and actually I did find it on a sewing blog so that lady made it herself, from a 1980's pattern I believe. :wink: I've been in such a sewing funk lately, so I am trying to avoid thinking about the fact that I can just make something myself... :ninja:

Wha?...Oh I missed the post where you mentioned s/s, sorry!! Although...I used to love wearing my toffee colored Frye Campus boots with feminine sundresses. Still, the same principles apply...I avoid pumps or ballerinas and go for more substantial sandals/shoes when wearing skirts...Yeah I know what you mean re sewing...it takes commitment...though once you start it's quite soothing...

I found my wayfarers! :heart:
They were hiding between the books and magazines in the headboard of my bed..

Jinadaze, amazing brogues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
novaeworld
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->