The Business of Magazines

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Cicciolina, Mar 7, 2008.

1. axiomatic

axiomatic Well-Known Member

It's definitely a risk when subscribing to a magazine from a one-title publisher. The big publishers have been good about replacing a magazine subscription when one stops publishing. I still have subscriptions to New Yorker and VF that I got 7-8 years ago because a CN golf magazine closed that I had a (free, never read) 10 year subscription to

Benn98 likes this.
  2. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Porter did state in the email back in 2019 that subscribers could receive the first two issues free of charge, to compensate for the cancellation (and lack of refund). However, given the global pandemic, I very much doubt we will be witnessing Porter's return in the near future.

3. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Can anyone post the WWD article of Anne Marie Curtis' new magazine/platform? Thank you

4. axiomatic

5. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Thank You.

6. axiomatic

Are Brand Magazines Still in Print? – WWD

Benn98 likes this.
  7. Blayne266

Blayne266 Well-Known Member

PamBoy on Twitter “The word of the street is that Conde Nast is about to close Vogue Paris”.

I’m not the biggest PamBoy fan but they sometimes do leak things that are often true.

I’m utterly shocked that out of all the Vogues that Vogue Paris is rumoured to be closing, before smaller lesser editions like the Ukraine, Portugal, Hong Kong, Czech, Greece maybe even Italian.

It will be a sad sad day if this turns out true, the first of the big four to fold being Vogue Paris, especially with the state of Italian Vogue.

gunsnroses and Benn98 like this.
  8. vogue28

Huh? Close Vogue Paris? The major senior fashion magazine to the city in which the world considers to be the most fashionable? I've never heard anything so ludicrous. Vogue Scandinavia hasn't even debuted, and there's talk of Vogue Paris closing? I'm refusing to believe this.

9. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

I doubt CN would ever close Vogue Paris. There's too much brand value there. Not just with "Vogue" but also "Paris". At worst, I can see them outsourcing it by licensing the rights to another publisher. Licensing seems to be the biggest source of revenue at Conde these days, hence why there's so many insignificant Vogues out there. VP could command a higher premium than them all.

gunsnroses, Blayne266 and vogue28 like this.
  10. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt CN will close one of their big 4 Vogues. If they can't even keep that alive then may as well cease the whole CN altogether. VP always have a healthy amount of ads page even more than the "crown jewel" VUS. Can you believe the capital of fashion have no Vogue. How embarrassing is that. The Vogue that should be pull the plug VHK

I feel like the likes of PamBoy, BryanBoy, Louis and my absolute fashion nightmare Luke Haute le mode tend to pull this kinda clickbaits for their 15 minutes of fame. So people think they're some important people in the industry.

gunsnroses, vogue28, Benn98 and 2 others like this.
  11. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

that overpriced waste of paper Vogue Paris Collections maybe

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Don't let Vogue28 hear you say this aloud, lol. He loves Vogue Collections.

It seems absurd that they'd close VP, but PamBoy has been right and wrong about rumours. I mean, Tisci is still at Burberry when according to Pamboy he was supposed to have been gone by now. What does he actually do other than sit and gossip all day on Twitter? LOL.

Although, and this will likely ruffle a few feathers, can we honestly say that Vogue Paris is the commanding force in fashion right now. As in, does the world, the fashion industry at large still look at VP to lead the way each season trend-wise? That's not even the case with American or British Vogue anymore. Everything has been diluted by brands running their own platforms, influencers, anti-fashion fashion sites like Hypebeast etc. These are the ones that command the attention of consumers. At least, the type of consumers that all the brands chase after.

Vogue Paris under Emmanuelle Alt is a niche magazine. It appeals only to a specific type of person, with a specific type of style? And if you don't care for it there's nothing else in the magazine that will cater to you. It's not VP under Carine which despite its edginess still had a neutral appeal fashion-wise, where the world waited in bated breath for each issue to drop and see how Carine interpreted the season's trends. Because her vision wasnt as singular and set in stone as Alt's. And that's why I say Alt's VP is niche.

13. vogue28

I came to my senses about two/three years ago and stopped buying Vogue Paris Collections all together. I hated that they took out the accessories section toward the back of the magazine, which was the best part for me. It seemed like a complete waste of money, for something I can easily access online within a second, in HQ.

I must admit that I've thought of Vogue Paris and nothing else over the past few hours - all the pleasurable covers and content throughout the years. I would be absolutely devastated if the magazine folded - or if even Alt was to depart after the 100th anniversary which is set to be unveiled with the May/June issue. For me, Vogue Paris is the one magazine I truly look forward to each and every month. Despite the March issue being a non-event, it's still the best of the bunch and umpteen magazines emulate the magazine's art direction. There is NO other!

14. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Vogue Paris closing? Is it April Fools’ already?

15. MON

MON Well-Known Member

My theory: Vogue Paris is ‘closing’ because it will be rebranded as Vogue France. The same way Vogue Nippon rebranded as Vogue Japan.

Nevertheless, I don’t think CN is that dumb to close a legacy edition. There MUST be a Vogue that will cater to French Fashion. Trust me, ‘The Big 4’ doesn’t refer to the ‘biggest’ Vogue editions. It refers to New York, London, Milan, and Paris. As long as these cities remain to be the pillars of Fashion, there will always be a Vogue edition attached to it.

And if Vogue Paris is closing, Alt wouldn’t allow that she’s the editor when it was shut down. At a time when European editors left, Alt stayed. So I highly doubt it.

Collapsed to 6 issues? I’d believe.
    Collapsed to quarterly issues? I’d believe.
    Entire shut down? Ludicrous. April fools at best.

16. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Vogue Hommes is Vogue Paris adjacent. Perhaps they will close? So GQ France can get bigger?

Blayne266 likes this.
  17. MON

MON Well-Known Member

This is the most plausible scenario. The same way Details gave way for GQ. Second is Vogue Paris Collections.

Blayne266 likes this.
  18. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

If they don’t close VI they are not gonna close VP...maybe it’s what MON says...

Why Pam boy is verified? His accounts should be closed.

19. SophiaVB

SophiaVB Well-Known Member

He is the most ANNOYING "insider" on Twitter - like what is his actual job??

danawokarrr, Xone and Blayne266 like this.
  20. axiomatic

Leyna Bloom Breaks a Modeling Barrier