The Leg Thread - Toning, Firming and Questions

Running. Jogging. Walking. Jumproping and yes skipping all fall into aerobics. You will not get bulky doing aerobics...In fact the fatest way to lose weight is to weight train, since muscles require more energy to build, done properly you will not get big.

Let me break it down.

In order for someone to get like Arnold, you must train a certain way. The way muscles get bigger is by lifting a heavy weight, one you can only lift about 6-8 times. Lifting of these heavy weights cause tears in your muscles. Tiny tears. It's when these tears heal that muscles grow bigger. This is why weight trainers who want to get big often train every other day and load up on protein, which help rebuild muscle.

Now, for toning, you don't want to make these tears. You want to work your muscles just enough. This is done by lifting a weight you can lift about 12-15 times. You will not get bulky this way, but your muscles will work just enough to require energy to burn.

I recommend you do aerobics in general everyday. Whatever you can. You will not get bulky doing any type of aerobics, with an exception of swimming (since there is a lot of resistance), but it will be more of a toning than a chunky, bodybuilder look. Running in place burns about 700 calories an hour :smile:

If you're looking to get toned, 30-60 mins of aerobics everyday + light weight training every other day is the best way to go.

i think i remember someone posting this about skipping before...

attractive legs

I am a very fit person; I have toned muscles and I like my body a lot, but I have very muscular thighs. Not like a bodybuilder or anything, but they almost make my calves look too skinny for them. Are muscular thighs in the majority considered unattractive? I like skirts and I want to know if I can wear shorter ones without looking like weirdo. :unsure:

If you want to wear a shorter skirt, go ahead! Whether people pefer muscles or leaner legs, fit is always better than not fit. :smile:

Maybe you can work out your calves.. they'll get a big bigger and it will look more proportional. I don't know what your workout is like but maybe you can take it easy on any exercises that really work out your thighs for a while and see what happens.
FInally, I don't want to make any assumptions about you, but I had a similar problem. I was generally toned, but there was a bit more fat on my thighs than my calves (my calves never get fat on them for some reason) so I looked unproportional too. I increased my cardio to lose weight and it came off my thighs and now they're even. Experiment and see what happens. :smile:

beyonce has larger thighs and her legs are stunning!:woot: i have larger thighs in preportion to my claves but still wear minis. although i do wear quite dark black tights/leggins to give that slimming effect but mainly because its winter and i like that look!

be proud of what you have:flower:

I don't want to sound snobby, but I am very pleased with my legs. They're very long, thin and toned. Which is quite surprising since I don't exercise that often. :blink: But what I do when I have time is I lay one side on the floor, and lift up the leg, put it down.... At least 50 times for each leg. And keep the leg straight.

kimkhuu its not snobby at all i truly believe more people should be pleased with what they have. and if they have confidence in it all the better. remember confidence brings beauty theres nothing more attractive than a confident woman so im told!:flower:

^EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So hot, as long as it doesn't turn into arrogance. :bunny:

skipping is good exercise, it'll give you sexy sexy calves and that's a good thing

don't worry bout getting bulky legs, it won't happen

Really and truly, one of the best workouts for any person who wants to slim down and get lean muscle is running long distances. I swear by it and jump ropping is also a fantastic way to burn calories and trim and tone your legs. Good for your forearms too!

thankyou everyone:D
i shall skip and run:D
and strecth which i already do neway:D
:flower:

hahah finally a reason to skip other than cos i really want to...

Kimkhuu that exercise you do is seriously good:D we do that in pilates:smile:

Firming legs...

My legs are quite skinny but the skin on my legs is not firm (mainly because I don't really exercise......).

Any tips on how I can achieve a firmer leg look, and how long does it take before I can see a significant change?

Squats and lunges... running... you'll see results in a week or two, and with consistent exercise, you'll be really pleased :smile:

Hi i have a problem a little like it i show jump horses aswell so i have well toned thighs but flabby calves any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->