The Official Harry Potter Thread

i will always love JK for her female characters, it's so important for young girls to have great role models to look up to (maybe i'm just nerdy like that, but when i was a kid i always looked up to girls in books more than real girls/women). there are so many books where girls are depicted as people who need to be protected by guys, when we can be just as tough and smart and whatever as guys. as nerdy as Hermione is, she's a wonderful friend, smart, loyal and brave:heart:

^I agree. I felt the same way when I was growing up. Hermione is a good role model. :smile:

J.K. Rowling thought about killing off Ron. That is interesting. That would've had a major affect of things.

Warner Bros is pushing DH Part 2 hard for Oscar consideration. All the previous films (with the exception of Chamber of Secrets and Order of the Phoenix) received nominations over the years and I'm pretty sure DH Part 2 is a shoe in for technical awards like visual effects, cinematography, etc.

Here's the For Your Consideration website WB launched to promote Deathly Hallows and it's other films.

And WB also sent out a special booklet to certain people in Hollywood to help push DH Part 2 for a nomination. The booklet contains a variety of quotes from all the positive reviews the film received over the summer. It also includes some other content for voters. One of the recipients posted pics of the booklet:

hypable.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! And I remember the days when HP was dismissed as lightweight and insubstantial next to LOTR and now WB can seriously push HP for Oscar consideration and nobody mocks the studio. Not that will ~get~ any major nods, but at least the critics finally caught up with what HP fans have known all along: there is depth and great power to the series. (Of course, it helps that the turdpile known as Twilight came along.)

Although I hope Alan Rickman is at least recognized.

I think the critics have always been positive about it, since none of the films have ever received harsh reviews. And they have gotten Oscar nominations before, but while I'm sure DH Part 2 won't get any acting nominations, it definitely has a chance at all the other awards.

Speaking of Alan Rickman, has he ever been nominated for an Oscar before??

I think the critics have always been positive about it, since none of the films have ever received harsh reviews. And they have gotten Oscar nominations before, but while I'm sure DH Part 2 won't get any acting nominations, it definitely has a chance at all the other awards.

Speaking of Alan Rickman, has he ever been nominated for an Oscar before??

True, none have ever received harsh reviews, but I remember when PS and CoS came out how they are compared to LOTR and critics actually saying "these are for the kids and HP fans only. Go see LOTR to get your fantasy-fill instead." It wasn't until PoA that the series actually got any actual respect but still dismissed as not quite good enough, but since David Yates joined, there has nothing but respect for it. (The LOTR trilogy came out concurrently to the first 3 movies. Hence why the critics said 'go see LOTR instead.')

A quick check of imdb revealed that AR has never been nominated for an Oscar. :(

I'm sincerely shocked that Alan has never been nominated. Blasphemy. I was like 12/13 when the first Potter films came out, so I didn't read reviews back then. lol. I just knew it was good. But I'm not surprised about the LOTR comparison. The media loves to compare.

This isn't really big news, but just in case there's any Potter fans who live in Virginia and would like to attend:
'Harry Potter' Symposium for muggles at James Madison University

James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia, will be hosting A Harry Potter Symposium for Muggle Scholars titled "Replacing Wands with Quills" on November 10 - 12. The schedule for the 3-day Symposium can been seen right here.

The Hogwarts Professor, John Granger, will be the Keynote Speaker at the event. Described by TIME as the "Dean of Harry Potter Scholars," John Granger has been writing and speaking about the artistry and meaning of Joanne Rowling's Hogwarts Adventures since 2002. In all that time, he has consistently been ahead of the pack in understanding and explaining why readers love the 'Potter' Saga. To learn more, you can visit John Granger's website right here.
mugglenet

Ha ha! I'm slightly older than the typical Potterhead. (The only hindrance is crushing on the actors: since I'm 6 years older than most of them, I didn't feel comfortable drooling over them until DH1.)

Pottermore isn't open to non-beta users yet! Ugh!

I'm not a huge fan of Alan Rickman's acting lately. It's got a bit lazy, imo.

To describe his DH2 performance like one of my friends eloquently put it, "He slept through the whole thing."

I finally made myself watch the DH2 press conference, and I loved it. I'm not ready to say goodbye just yet. (Which is why I'm investing in the Bloomsbury books and complete box set next year.)

I think people are on tumblr are gif-ting every single scene in all the movies.

^You've got that right about tumblr and HP. You could probably go onto Tumblr look through the HP tag and see the whole movie without having to watch it via dvd.:lol: I'm so surprised to see that Alan Rickman has never been nominated for an Oscar, he's one of the most respected actors in the industry. Hopefully he get's a nom for HP and The Deathly Hallows 2. Also, I never realized that studio's actually sent out books and stuff about the films they'd like to see be nominated. Makes sense though.

I own none of the dvds at the moment, so the gifs are what are getting me by. (Plus, they are giving me a whole new appreciation for the 'background' moments in the movies.)

Cary Grant never got an Oscar nod, so if Alan Rickman doesn't either it will be fine by me. I think if he does get a nod, it will be Sir Ian McKellan's LOTR nod--a acknowledgement for all the movies he played the role in.

Yeah, studios pull out all the stops get nominations. They've been doing for years too..at least as far back as the 1960s ("The Sound of Music" pay attention Oscar ads were revolutionary because they took 1 1/2 pages vs the usual pay attention Oscar ads which were just the typical page/less than a page size.)

Yeah if it wasn't for the gifs I wouldn't have ever noticed the scene when Harry come's back and George turns to say something to Fred and he isn't there. Now that I've seen that it makes me tear up a bit during that scene. And that's true, if Cary Grant can't get an Oscar nod then Alan Rickman is in good company. All that really matters is that he continues to act well and his legacy is all set (although I have a feeling he will be remember because of Snape if nothing else).

Speaking of tumblr, here's a GIF from one of the BTS features.
image.php

billydarley.tumblr.com

Also, some new videos to rub it in even more. :(

David Yates is unsurprisingly high in demand now that he's finished the Potter films. The author of the book, The Giver, wants him to direct the film adaption. He also mentioned in an interview that he has plans to work with Emma Watson again on a drama about a girl with mental issues...but it looks like his first project will be.....

'Potter' director David Yates signs on to film 'Doctor Who' movie

Variety is reporting that David Yates, the director of the last four Harry Potter films is taking the helm of the even longer-running British pop culture series, Doctor Who.

However, if you are hoping that this movie will be out soon, we are sorry to report it won't be out for several years. David Yates stated, "We're looking at writers now. We're going to spend two to three years to get it right. It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena."

Doctor Who is a British science fiction television that depicts the adventures of a time travelling humanoid alien known as "the Doctor" who explores the universe in a sentient time machine called the TARDIS.

The show starred former Potter actor David Tennant - who portrayed Barty Crouch Jr. in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - from 2005 until 2010.
mugglenet

"Twist and Shout" at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter: James and Matthew, 2010 & Alfred and Devon, 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->