The Vegetarian & Vegan Thread #2

I have this brown rice cereal, I put dried blueberries and cranberries in it...yum!

@parisia i love dal, need to get some red lentils. i would like your brownie recipe, i've tried a few recipes with varying success. also care to share your muffin recipe?

just made pasta with chickpeas/chilli/garlic/mushrooms/parsely yum.

Parisia: I would love your brownie recipe aswell!! I made Vegan brownies a few years ago and they were amazing! I have tried to make them again on several occasions but they have been nowhere near as good!

EXOskeleton: That sounds so yummy! I need to stop being so lazy with making vegan food!

What is you guys favorite vegan breakfast food? I like to make smoothies but sometimes i'm way too lazy!

one of my all time faves is a chickpea-coconutmilk-curry. it's so easy and so yummy.
here's a recipe I found online http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Creamy-Chickpea-Curry-205289 I just don't use any soy sauce in it. and actually I prefer not to buy ready made curry paste, but put it together myself, unless I am feeling lazy, which happens quite often lately hehe

for breakfast I usually eat some muesli or toast/bread with some vegan spread and some vegetables. I love smoothies though! there is this super simple mix of soymilk and a banana which I always make when I have a hangover.

oh and my favorite muffin recipe comes from http://www.vegalicious.org - which is my favourite vegan recipe site, let alone for their beautiful pics of the food! anyway that's the recipe
http://www.vegalicious.org/2007/08/18/raspberry-lemon-muffins/

What is you guys favorite vegan breakfast food? I like to make smoothies but sometimes i'm way too lazy!

I don't eat a lot in the morning so usually just a quite bite of something is fine, like peanut butter or fruit (esp. frozen dark sweet cherries :crush:).

I made 'overnight oatmeal' for the first time last night, and could be a good vegan option for breakfast. Basically you soak your oats in liquid (I used almond milk because it's lovely and sweet) overnight, and then serve in the morning with your topping of choice. I had mine with a sliced banana and a small amount of agave nectar (vegan alternative to honey) - super delicious!

I love vegan food and find really great recipes, the only thing that bothers me is the majority of them don't show the calorie content i.e fat, sodium, sugar, carb grams. I know this food is healthier for me but I would still like to see the calorie content. Does anyone else have this problem?

to be honest, no. just as long it's a balanced meal (ie: vegetables/protein/carbs)

The breakfast suggestions sound great! Belowen I'm going to try overnight oatmeal, and I have heard amazing things about almond milk!

Do you guys have any suggestions about Vegan cafes/restaurants in Paris? Or just somewhere that could cater for Vegans! I'm visiting for a week at the end of July and am a little worried about finding great places

The breakfast suggestions sound great! Belowen I'm going to try overnight oatmeal, and I have heard amazing things about almond milk!

Do you guys have any suggestions about Vegan cafes/restaurants in Paris? Or just somewhere that could cater for Vegans! I'm visiting for a week at the end of July and am a little worried about finding great places

I used this website before I went in February:

http://www.happycow.net/europe/france/paris/

Really useful, great key and loads of restaurants. I'm only vegetarian though, but most of those listed are vegan-friendly ^_^

Has anyone here ever tried WildWood sprouted tofu? It's amazing! :woot: I get the superfirm kind and it's absolutely perfect for stir-fries and marinades-- good and dense and doesn't fall apart. And the flavor is miles better than Nasoya or even the Whole Foods brand. :heart:

So I bought Alicia Silverstone's book the Kind Diet and I must say at first, I was really scared about going vegan but so far I have made (and tried) her Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, Artichoke Dip and Sauteed Collard Greens with Pine Nuts and Raisins. And all I have to say is...YUM!

If going vegan is going to taste this good then I'm switching teams right now and even if it means giving up my Swedish Fish candies for now...You all have to try Alicia's recipes, they're fantastic!

^ :clap: That sounds lovely!

It has taken my body some getting used to when I became vegan, but I think it's starting to get into the swing of things. Six months have passed, and I feel awesome! My diet is filled with more fruits and veggies, and it makes me very aware of what I'm eating and it feels rejuvenating! :bounce:

^ :clap: That sounds lovely!

It has taken my body some getting used to when I became vegan, but I think it's starting to get into the swing of things. Six months have passed, and I feel awesome! My diet is filled with more fruits and veggies, and it makes me very aware of what I'm eating and it feels rejuvenating! :bounce:

Thanks :blush: I was practically vegetarian before, except for the occasional sushi dinner...but now tasting Alicia's recipes, I don't think I will miss sushi all that much. Plus she's not super strict about it, she says she even slips sometimes and has a piece of cheese. But I'm trying all this great new stuff and it's just so good!

I am happy to hear you are feeling good on the plan, I already feel pretty good too but if it gets better than this and tastes just as great I will be in heaven. Oh and if you only try one thing, try the peanut butter cups, they're delicious!

she says she even slips sometimes and has a piece of cheese.

I suppose I can excuse a slip-up, but I was under the impression that it was the principle of the matter: that we do not support the unethical treatment of animals and their products to produce our foods. I have slipped up twice so far: (1) eating gelatin, but I was drunk so I wasn't thinking, and (2) having a car bomb. (I didn't put two and two together before I chugged the car bomb.) :lol:

Thoughts? :flower:

I suppose I can excuse a slip-up, but I was under the impression that it was the principle of the matter: that we do not support the unethical treatment of animals and their products to produce our foods. I have slipped up twice so far: (1) eating gelatin, but I was drunk so I wasn't thinking, and (2) having a car bomb. (I didn't put two and two together before I chugged the car bomb.) :lol:

Thoughts? :flower:

I know I was also shocked about hearing her say this, because she goes on and on about how the "nasty" foods are inhumane and horrible to our environment and bodies. But she said she does do it without thinking at times and instead of beating herself up about it she makes a plan to be more careful next time. We all have slip ups on things we're trying to quit and although I know it's the principal, I don't think we should torture ourselves or other people over it.

Life is about making mistakes and learning from them...we're learning new things and trying to be better people everyday, that's what life is about to me so if I make a mistake then so be it, the important thing is you learn from it and try not to do it again. Some people may not share this opinion but it's just my 2 cents.:wink:

Thank you for your 2 cents! ^_^:flower:

I really respect those that respect where our food comes from. I have a friend who isn't vegetarian, but he always makes a conscious effort to be thankful for his food and how it happened to end up on his plate. :lol: Sure, kinda silly but I'd like to see that more often.

Chipotle is really stepping forward with their "Food With Integrity" direction. I wish there was more of that around. :ermm:

Thank you for your 2 cents! ^_^:flower:

I really respect those that respect where our food comes from. I have a friend who isn't vegetarian, but he always makes a conscious effort to be thankful for his food and how it happened to end up on his plate. :lol: Sure, kinda silly but I'd like to see that more often.

Chipotle is really stepping forward with their "Food With Integrity" direction. I wish there was more of that around. :ermm:

I agree, we shouldn't take others being killed for our own purposes "lightly" either. That's why I first stopped with red meat about 4 years ago. I couldn't handle how the cows were treated and killed. I soon dropped all meat (except fish) a couple years after.

I think your friend has a great attitude toward his food. I think more people should be like that too.

What exactly is Chipolte doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->