UK Vogue August 2019 : Karlie Kloss by Steven Meisel

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Jul 1, 2019.

1. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

If she did, she was just recycling an old industry adage about green never selling on a cover - "poison on the newsstand" - although I wonder if that's ever been proven. They used to say black didn't sell either...

2. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

so much green :wacko:

3. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

I love green, but this green is too green. :sick: Karlie looks okay on the other hand, but it's very forgettable.

4. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

I for one LOVE the green in the cover. Really energetic and fresh. Love the cover, great picture of Karlie.

The editorial preview looks like a disappointment tho. Again plain studio shoot with Meisel? Come on, give us more..

ivano likes this.
  5. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

To be completely honest, almost every other magazine out there is devoid of glamour these days, so if I have to get my monthly glam fix via a white backdrop cover and a gray backdrop editorial, hell - so be it! It’ll probably get boring soon, just like Glenda’s Bazaar but I am enjoying it for now. And Edward is actually giving us models on covers.

6. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

Easily one of the best covers under the current EIC - might actually be their best, even if that's not saying much. Either way, this is a beautiful cover. Karlie looks gorgeous.

ivano likes this.
  7. bluebanter

bluebanter Well-Known Member

There is something about that lime green text that makes me feel like the cover was made in MS Paint.

8. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

What have we done to deserve two Meisel covers in a row? You won’t hear me complain.

That said... this isn’t my most favourite of the British Vogue x Meisel covers. The green masthead irritates me, absolutely hate green on covers (except on Kate Moss’ Vogue Paris cover from 2008) but having a hard time figuring out which colour would’ve worked better?

Once again, the makeup on Meisel’s cover speaks volumes, so major kudos to Pat McGrath and I also cannot hate on the fact we have a model cover this month.

ivano and djowodjo30 like this.
  9. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Carlyne should have trademark the « Styled by Moi » :lol::lol:

Love Meisel but bored by the execution. Ok he is not doing outdoors but can we have a set at least...
    i don’t know, a house, a castle...Something!

ivano and anlabe32 like this.
  10. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

I know right!? What's up with Meisel. First Joan for Moschino and now Karlie. What is it, 2012?

Anyway, the cover is boring but the ed looks promising. Too bad it's mainly grey studio shots from Meisel nowadays.

11. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

This isn't a bad cover/story, but Meisel is just phoning it in these days.
    Like I said about the Zoe cover last month, this one could have been done by anyone....and I mean anyone. There's nothing here to see.

I'd still love to see him collaborate with Madonna. I think she's one of the few who could make him bring something special again. They created so much legendary magic in the past.

12. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

Karlie still very much feels ‘relevant’ despite the fact I despise that term and the constant conversations that are had about people’s relevance.

She’s transitioned from landing covers for being a model to landing them for being a celebrity in her own right I’d say. She has Project Runway and several other projects up coming that move her further into that realm. She is also very, very good friends with Alec and Edward so it makes sense they’d use her.

The colours aren’t for me but happy to see Karlie back on a cover.

Bertrando3, GreyVetiver and ivano like this.
  13. Sensation

Sensation V.I.P.

It's nice to see her on the cover again and shot by Steven...

14. miyawaki

miyawaki Member

Love this. Karlie looks gorgeous.
    Although repetitive, I still find it attractive as Meisel covers for Vogue UK.

15. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

It’s as fake as she is.

dior_couture1245 likes this.
  16. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

Can’t believe people are complaining about Karlie on a cover of Vogue.
    Who do you want? Adwoa Aboah? 284838th Rianne Van Rompaey shoot?

17. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Two months in a row for Meisel, so I'm guessing no September blockbuster? Especially with Meghan Markle editing...something tells me that whole issue is going to be pedestrian as hell.

This is fine, but I'm bored as hell with Meisel's copy/paste editorial work for Edward. Penn worked in the studio for the vast majority of his career and his work was always shocking, thought-provoking and beautiful. Steven's latter works have been anything but :innocent:.

thiago:), MON and TheoG like this.
  18. darri

darri Member

Edward's editorial vision and styling is soo dated and brings nothing fresh or creative to the table.

In spite of her supermodel body, I find Karlie her face just pretty meets pedestrian, and not elevating things..I don't know..

Benn98 and kasper! like this.
  19. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

I get that he wanted something fresh,relax and casual, but Edward c'mon...this is Vogue...Lift it up....the previews looks very Meisel.....

20. luchang732

luchang732 Member

with hair by guido makeup by pat and photographed by steven, and you're still givin' me a cover like this sh*t? HOW?