UK Vogue June 2019 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, May 3, 2019.

1. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

What a perfect cover! I love EVERYTHING about this, especially since this kinda beautiful melancholy cover is the last thing i would have expected from UK Vogue or Madonna!

Can't wait to get it in print!!

mepps and aracic like this.
  2. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I scrolled down the image as far as her face and thought we were getting an atmospheric shot - but then I saw all the clothes, books and jewellery, and I don't get it.

It's almost unsettling, because the only people who get into the bath with that much on are the people who don't see themselves getting out of it. Clutching your old Bible to your heart as you drift away... I know it's meant to look vintage, but the monochrome only adds to that impression, because it feels like all the colour has drained from this person's life.

3. KissMiss

KissMiss Well-Known Member

I love it... it’s a beautiful image... I think maybe more suitable for Vogue Italia... it definitely is a little strange as a cover but I think Madonna has starved us for something that doesn’t involve fishnets and a whip and I guess I am grateful:-D

mepps likes this.
  4. fluxxx

fluxxx Well-Known Member

Thankfully it's not the BDSM Madonna. The edit is giving me her Dolce & Gabbana campaign which I kinda like. Hate the pink and blue but I might getting this just because Madonna looks great and I like the mood from the editorial

5. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

Madonna doing an homage to Whitney?! I live!!

6. happycanadian

happycanadian Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? I LIIIIVE for Whitney, but I don't see the homage

7. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

She drowned in her bathtub, so..

I like the image, but the blue and pink text is hilarious. The art direction and graphic design is amateur hour as with every other cover under Edward.

8. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Well she was found... anyway that’s a tasteless joke.

ivano likes this.
  9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Well I must say above all else, this was not what I expected, and I say that in a good way. I'd like to see the full edit because it looks like there's a storyline of sorts.

:rofl: STOP!
    It was Lorde who started the bathtub joke, which is indeed rather tasteless. I believe Madonna could not abide Whitney and Janet. Or was it the other way around?

10. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Pretty much awful. Plus if you want an unconventional image, you can't mix it with ordinary text placement.

samoanceleb, bonnevie, MON and 3 others like this.
  11. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

I love it. She doesn't look too bloated or too airbrushed to death, and I'm thankful.

12. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Not what I was expecting. Like that its different and unconventional for UK Vogue. Very Italian Vogue with text.

Although, I rarely appreciate cover shots with a zoomed out subject as these are not newsstand friendly.

13. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Dead again.

Benn98 likes this.
  14. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

You know, I looked at this cover for couple of times and I realize that each time I look at it, it grows on me.
    At the end of the day, this is a classical Madonna look, classical Madonna vibe from this cover. Really tasteful coming from her and M&M.

vogue28 and Valentine27 like this.
  15. zacatecas570

zacatecas570 Well-Known Member

Hideous!

Blayne266 likes this.
  16. [Piece Of Me]

[Piece Of Me] Well-Known Member

This is absolutely stunning and suits the Madame X era so well. In general I am just very glad to see her on the cover without a bondage theme. Yes Madonna!

And I do have to applaud the fact that Elle US, In Style US and now British Vogue are all featuring women above their 50's on their covers this month.

17. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

It's her Dolce & Gabana campaign all over again, they even shot her with pasta!

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

You think these two would be clever enough to cover their tracks if they copied another, please!

19. KissMiss

KissMiss Well-Known Member

I think Whitney and Madonna were fine. Actually, Whitney spoke in her defence few time. I think during Erotica and BTS times.

Janet shaded Madonna several times. On one occasion, she basically said that unlike Madonna, her music had class which made me laugh. That was in the 80ies. Then in mid-90ies Madonna was asked by MTV the reason she thought Janet was coming after her to which she replied that she never met Janet or smth like that and she basically then hinted in a jokey way that the reason was obvious which implied that Janet was jealous... okay, I am slightly hangover and can’t be held responsible for accurately retelling the story... take it a large pinch of salt cos for what I know I might just be playing chinese whispers :-D

Benn98 likes this.
  20. sweetpop

sweetpop Active Member

Why did Madonna have to do the book dirty like that, drowning it in water? What did it ever do to her? :cry: