UK Vogue June 2019 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

As we wait for the subscription copies to turn up, I was having some random thoughts earlier... so this is Madonna's first UK Vogue cover since her 1989 one, thirty years ago... but was she ever a popular cover girl for UK fashion magazines in general?

I can recall three or four UK Elle covers during the 2000s (generally reprints from a US Elle cover story) but I don't seem to remember any from before or after. UK Tatler seems to have been more consistent over the decades in giving her a cover at different times in her career! I see a few from Harper's & Queen as well.

Not that Madonna ever needed the support of UK fashion magazines, she was busy racking up hundreds of covers elsewhere, from Vanity Fair to Rolling Stone.

And then I was generally thinking about the age of the faces Edward has been putting on the cover this year... Naomi (48) on March, Kate (45) on last month's, along with the L'Oreal age supplement, and now Madonna (60) on this one... sure, we could argue (for one reason or another) that they don't look their age, but it's not bad going as a representation of a greater age range of cover stars.

I wonder if Madonna or her people got something to do in the editing process...

You don't have to wonder, she does! Generally. I'm certainly prepared to bet that she chose the cover image as it simply doesn't fall in line with his direction.
In comparison to her other cover shoots though, it does seem as that with this specific one she may have had less creative control. And that's purely going by the presence of actual industry professionals such as Benjamin Bruno and Isamaya Ffrench - slots which would normally have been filled by Madonna's own team. These two are very much respected in the sense that their creative input would have been a nonnegotiable, and not just robots kowtowing to a queen. I also think Edward is making a statement that he's not just going to hand full creative control to have her on the cover. On the other hand it does put Madonna in a somewhat precarious position because the next time she heads over to American Harper's, she may find that the magazine won't just roll over and let her have her way. That's if Glenda had guts.

I really loathe the idea of ceding creative control to higher tier editions like Vogue. Whether it's Madonna, Beyonce or Adele. If I want to see images curated by their teams I'd follow them on Instagram, not see it on the cover of Vogue. And also, editors lose credibility by giving in to these kind of demands.

Madonna did not pick this cover shot, but she did have to give green light to what Benjamin proposed.

Tigerrouge I said a similar thing about Edward's cover stars from last year. It is amazing how much he practices what he preaches, because he does not always have it easy. CN suits are not going for his every idea. He does not have Anna's power, yet.

I like it. Probably the best Madonna cover and edit I've seen in years. And it's a relief that she is not in in some SM get up.

Said that i think she just sprouts an insane amount of nonsense and I particularly take issue with her view on ageism and why she's a victim of it. Yes no one can deny a lot of critics want her to be on an age appropriate box but she forgets that a lot of criticism also comes from the fact that someone of her stature is constantly demeaning herself by chasing a youth ideal that is bellow her. It's not that she shouldn't be doing certain things because she's older but simply because she's better.

I was expecting (in my imagination) Irina by Meisel. That's the reason I dislike this. But well Ed, it's your magazine bro, not mine.

Madonna did not pick this cover shot, but she did have to give green light to what Benjamin proposed.

Tigerrouge I said a similar thing about Edward's cover stars from last year. It is amazing how much he practices what he preaches, because he does not always have it easy. CN suits are not going for his every idea. He does not have Anna's power, yet.
Strange because he seems to be getting it right a lot more often than Anna. His covers seem like they would look good on a newsstand for the impulse buyer, memorable for the collector and satisfactory for the subscriber. Also, the covers are in fact VERY well received on Instagram/social media too - something that Anna craves for sure.

Yikes, that digital cover is utterly embarrassing and all sorts of naff. Now I really couldn't care less about Madonna on the cover of British Vogue.... and hope to the fashion gods above that there's some serious Steven Meisel within the issue to compensate (which I highly doubt).

Review - 220 Pages.

M IS FOR...
Cover Star: Madonna
Photographers: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Stylist: Benjamin Bruno
7 Photos

BLUE CRUSH
Models: Ruth Akele. Martina Boaretto, Byul, Florence Clapcott, Kristin Drab, Sean Fender,
Lola G, Hope Morgan, Licett Morillo & Kerolyn Soares
Photographer: David Sims
Stylist: Alastair McKimm
12 Photos

THE EXPLORER
Model: Fran Summers
Photographer: Lachlan Bailey
Stylist: Clare Richardson
10 Photos

COMMAND PERFORMANCE
Model: Rianne van Rompaey
Photographer: Theo Sion
Stylist: Venetia Scott
10 Photos

+ Unseen photographs of Whitney Houston by Steven Meisel (@[B]happycanadian[/B]), Vogue Designer Fashion Fund finalists by Nadine Ijewere and a Haute Couture article!

HAHAHA VOGUE28! That caveat!!!

Anyway, yikes! The utter laziness of that subs cover!

M is for.... Major let down

There is apparently another cover with the photo where she is sitting at the desk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->