UK Vogue June 2019 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, May 3, 2019.

1. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

As we wait for the subscription copies to turn up, I was having some random thoughts earlier... so this is Madonna's first UK Vogue cover since her 1989 one, thirty years ago... but was she ever a popular cover girl for UK fashion magazines in general?

I can recall three or four UK Elle covers during the 2000s (generally reprints from a US Elle cover story) but I don't seem to remember any from before or after. UK Tatler seems to have been more consistent over the decades in giving her a cover at different times in her career! I see a few from Harper's & Queen as well.

Not that Madonna ever needed the support of UK fashion magazines, she was busy racking up hundreds of covers elsewhere, from Vanity Fair to Rolling Stone.

And then I was generally thinking about the age of the faces Edward has been putting on the cover this year... Naomi (48) on March, Kate (45) on last month's, along with the L'Oreal age supplement, and now Madonna (60) on this one... sure, we could argue (for one reason or another) that they don't look their age, but it's not bad going as a representation of a greater age range of cover stars.

TommysBaby, aracic, Velasco and 2 others like this.
  2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

You don't have to wonder, she does! Generally. I'm certainly prepared to bet that she chose the cover image as it simply doesn't fall in line with his direction.
    In comparison to her other cover shoots though, it does seem as that with this specific one she may have had less creative control. And that's purely going by the presence of actual industry professionals such as Benjamin Bruno and Isamaya Ffrench - slots which would normally have been filled by Madonna's own team. These two are very much respected in the sense that their creative input would have been a nonnegotiable, and not just robots kowtowing to a queen. I also think Edward is making a statement that he's not just going to hand full creative control to have her on the cover. On the other hand it does put Madonna in a somewhat precarious position because the next time she heads over to American Harper's, she may find that the magazine won't just roll over and let her have her way. That's if Glenda had guts.

I really loathe the idea of ceding creative control to higher tier editions like Vogue. Whether it's Madonna, Beyonce or Adele. If I want to see images curated by their teams I'd follow them on Instagram, not see it on the cover of Vogue. And also, editors lose credibility by giving in to these kind of demands.

dfl-001, Les_Sucettes and KateIsGr8 like this.
  3. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

Lousy cover and photos.

MON likes this.
  4. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Madonna did not pick this cover shot, but she did have to give green light to what Benjamin proposed.

Tigerrouge I said a similar thing about Edward's cover stars from last year. It is amazing how much he practices what he preaches, because he does not always have it easy. CN suits are not going for his every idea. He does not have Anna's power, yet.

5. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

I like it. Probably the best Madonna cover and edit I've seen in years. And it's a relief that she is not in in some SM get up.

Said that i think she just sprouts an insane amount of nonsense and I particularly take issue with her view on ageism and why she's a victim of it. Yes no one can deny a lot of critics want her to be on an age appropriate box but she forgets that a lot of criticism also comes from the fact that someone of her stature is constantly demeaning herself by chasing a youth ideal that is bellow her. It's not that she shouldn't be doing certain things because she's older but simply because she's better.

A.D.C. and Benn98 like this.
  6. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

I was expecting (in my imagination) Irina by Meisel. That's the reason I dislike this. But well Ed, it's your magazine bro, not mine.

7. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Active Member

Strange because he seems to be getting it right a lot more often than Anna. His covers seem like they would look good on a newsstand for the impulse buyer, memorable for the collector and satisfactory for the subscriber. Also, the covers are in fact VERY well received on Instagram/social media too - something that Anna craves for sure.

8. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Digital Cover.

justaguy likes this.
  9. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Yikes, that digital cover is utterly embarrassing and all sorts of naff. Now I really couldn't care less about Madonna on the cover of British Vogue.... and hope to the fashion gods above that there's some serious Steven Meisel within the issue to compensate (which I highly doubt).

ivano likes this.
  10. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

justaguy likes this.
  11. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

12. slayage

slayage Member

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

tigerrouge likes this.
  14. vogue28

Review - 220 Pages.

M IS FOR...
    Cover Star: Madonna
    Photographers: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
    Stylist: Benjamin Bruno
    7 Photos

BLUE CRUSH
    Models: Ruth Akele. Martina Boaretto, Byul, Florence Clapcott, Kristin Drab, Sean Fender,
    Lola G, Hope Morgan, Licett Morillo & Kerolyn Soares
    Photographer: David Sims
    Stylist: Alastair McKimm
    12 Photos

THE EXPLORER
    Model: Fran Summers
    Photographer: Lachlan Bailey
    Stylist: Clare Richardson
    10 Photos

COMMAND PERFORMANCE
    Model: Rianne van Rompaey
    Photographer: Theo Sion
    Stylist: Venetia Scott
    10 Photos

+ Unseen photographs of Whitney Houston by Steven Meisel (@happycanadian), Vogue Designer Fashion Fund finalists by Nadine Ijewere and a Haute Couture article!

happycanadian, tigerrouge and Benn98 like this.
  15. blusheels

blusheels Member

Excited to see Lachlan Bailey for Vogue UK!

16. vogue28

HQ Subscribers Cover:

[​IMG]

*And don't be throwing shade at my scanner... the cover photograph really is grainy and blurred!

SCAN BY VOGUE28

justaguy, mathiaskatz, ivano and 5 others like this.
  17. MON

MON Well-Known Member

HAHAHA VOGUE28! That caveat!!!

Anyway, yikes! The utter laziness of that subs cover!

M is for.... Major let down

vogue28 likes this.
  18. Tony Fersen

Tony Fersen Active Member

Thank you Vogue28 !

19. KissMiss

KissMiss Well-Known Member

There is apparently another cover with the photo where she is sitting at the desk...

20. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

When was the last time she worked with Meisel?