UK Vogue June 2019 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, May 3, 2019.

1. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Could have been the perfect time to work with Meisel instead of his expected studio shots...
    I kinda like her new song...
    Bravo to her for getting another VUK.

Vogue Uk, despite being underwhelming seems like the place to be now...

ivano likes this.
  2. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

I love the image but it’s ruined by everything else.

jorgepalomo likes this.
  3. Breathless

Breathless Member

Yeah I’m going to need you to sober up cause that story is highly false. Madonna shaded Janet FIRST on her Truth or Dare documentary as well as on a dinner date with MJ for their Oscar red carpet together.

Janet has absolutely no reason to be jealous of Madonna in any format considering both artist extensive amount of accolades. So please keep Janet out of this!

Also, that Whitney joke was tasteless but I expect no less from Madonna fans.

jorgepalomo and AD011620 like this.
  4. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

It’s an OK cover, but, mega LOL at the fact that they’re featuring a Michael Kors dress—which was likely paid by the brand itself—and yet they decided to drown it in a water-filled bathtub and shoot it in black and white. The shade is very rich with this cover :lol:.

ivano likes this.
  5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Naturally! As a stylist I'd be wary of shooting Kors for the cover. Especially for this magazine. Last time it resulted in Lucinda going rogue......and we all know how that ended.

ivano likes this.
  6. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

7. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

LMAO! Like the sun rising in the sky, I can always count on reading the most ridiculous, receipts free comments about Madonna on this forum. This cover is instantly iconic, and getting universal praise. Mert and Marcus are genius at what they do, and I'm pretty sure this issue will sell well for British Vogue. The ball is in your court Emmanuelle..:heart:

KateIsGr8 likes this.
  8. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

Yeah I immediately thought of that Lucinda debacle when I saw Michael Kors being given a credit for this cover. Not that Michael Kors’ design is remarkable to begin with, but how is one supposed to identify the dress when it was shot that way? Let alone sell it? LOL

ivano, dodencebt and Benn98 like this.
  9. AD011620

AD011620 Well-Known Member

Honestly, it’s just a recollection... I really don’t care to be perfectly honest... I’d rather they all got along. However, I think the Janet’s interview I was referring to was from the Control era which I believe was before Truth or Dare. Honestly, I am sure you know it better.

Breathless likes this.
  10. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

I really love the cover far more than I would expect!

It has a Saudade feel to it. It reminds me a of Portugal style during our Dictatorship period. A lot! All of it does.

Anyone who sees some old photos from that period you see resemblance in a lot Portuguese houses, how they dress and presence. You see it in this shot although it had some British trades on it.

During Billboard we had set inspired in Portuguese Houses, and now this shoot. Her new music has inspired from Portugal from she has been saying in interviews, so I think from now we will see more of it.

I got in a mood of buying it...

11. Koibito

Koibito Active Member

Omg why thou!?

12. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I'm hoping this will be the case, because eradicating most of the text on the cover will allow the mood of the image to come across.

But nearly every month, we get this type of sub-par art direction from Edward and his team. If you have to remove most of the coverlines for your cover to work, then you're probably not tremendously good at creating covers - certainly not in the traditional (commercial) sense.

13. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

The color shot is very captivating! The lighting is so flattering and just the right amount of soft, making the fabrics even more expensive looking and ultimately selling them, as a fashion magazine photograph should. Makes me wonder what would have happened if the cover and the entire spread were printed in color instead of B&W.

apple likes this.
  14. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

vogue.co.uk

15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I know it's only an extract of the full feature, but this reads like an US Weekly writeup. Often wondered where her fans get that 'Queen of the World' thing, and here we see it firsthand from her. Pass me the smallest violin, please!

It's also funny that she's saying people pit women against one another, yet she's doing that with her own kids. 'David is the one I have the most in common with. He has more of my DNA than any of my children so far." Great parenting right there. The rest of the kids won't feel a certain way once they read this interview.

16. AD011620

AD011620 Well-Known Member

I was confused by that. She almost shaded Lola:-) She did, however, say she was more talented than her, etc. but still.
    I think she is a wonderful parent but this reads a bit strange.
    I don’t actually disagree with any of her claims and yes, maybe we need a violin as a background accompaniment but sadly, most of them are true.
    I did find her statement about Gaga a bit weak too. I almost felt she should have said that 10 years ago. Having said that I don’t think she ever said anything really bad about Gaga (was always blown out of proportion) and the reductive comment will forever be my favourite:-D It’s my guilty pleasure:-)

17. MON

MON Well-Known Member

That photograph ^ would have been a stunning cover with the proper lighting, with her facing the camera. Perfect. Glamorous.

However, some of the photos barely resemble her. I don’t know if its the hair or the makeup, but when I look at it at first glance, I don’t see Madonna.

Also, she really needs to shake things up creativity wise. So far, Madame X is gearing up to be one and the same as the others (imo). We can’t criticize the likes of Nicki, Ariana +++ for doing the same thing again and again, while giving the likes of Madonna, Beyoncé, Mariah ++ a free pass. Legendary status is not a license for laziness.

apple likes this.
  18. apple

apple Well-Known Member

I love this shot of Madonna, it's graceful and vulnerable but not weak. However, I don't like it for a Vogue cover at all; there are too many distracting elements: the bath tube, the glass of wine, the fact that she does not look into the camera, the balck and white, the baby blue and pink together.. If this is going to sell it is probably just because it's Madonna.
    Take Vogue Italia July 2007 : this has different theme I know, but it's an example of how a bath shot should be made to use it as a cover, it's centered, it captures your attention, you can see the model, the dress.

Benn98 likes this.
  19. MON

MON Well-Known Member

I think the difference is the purpose of the shot. Vogue Italia wanted to show the clothes. It didn't forget the fact that it was a fashion magazine advertising clothes. Meanwhile, this month's UK Vogue focused on what Madonna wanted and her narrative. This plays to her Madame X kitschy multiple personality schtick that she's going for. The clothes are barely seen, and all eyes on her.

ivano and Benn98 like this.
  20. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

I don't think there is only ONE way to do a cover properly...sometimes it's the picture and the subject and not the dress...it depends on the material they edit....It's what they wanted to say, their intention. I wonder if Madonna or her people got something to do in the editing process...