UK Vogue June 2019 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Could have been the perfect time to work with Meisel instead of his expected studio shots...
I kinda like her new song...
Bravo to her for getting another VUK.

Vogue Uk, despite being underwhelming seems like the place to be now...

I love the image but it’s ruined by everything else.

I think Whitney and Madonna were fine. Actually, Whitney spoke in her defence few time. I think during Erotica and BTS times.

Janet shaded Madonna several times. On one occasion, she basically said that unlike Madonna, her music had class which made me laugh. That was in the 80ies. Then in mid-90ies Madonna was asked by MTV the reason she thought Janet was coming after her to which she replied that she never met Janet or smth like that and she basically then hinted in a jokey way that the reason was obvious which implied that Janet was jealous... okay, I am slightly hangover and can’t be held responsible for accurately retelling the story... take it a large pinch of salt cos for what I know I might just be playing chinese whispers :-D

Yeah I’m going to need you to sober up cause that story is highly false. Madonna shaded Janet FIRST on her Truth or Dare documentary as well as on a dinner date with MJ for their Oscar red carpet together.

Janet has absolutely no reason to be jealous of Madonna in any format considering both artist extensive amount of accolades. So please keep Janet out of this!

Also, that Whitney joke was tasteless but I expect no less from Madonna fans.

It’s an OK cover, but, mega LOL at the fact that they’re featuring a Michael Kors dress—which was likely paid by the brand itself—and yet they decided to drown it in a water-filled bathtub and shoot it in black and white. The shade is very rich with this cover :lol:.

It’s an OK cover, but, mega LOL at the fact that they’re featuring a Michael Kors dress—which was likely paid by the brand itself—and yet they decided to drown it in a bathtub and shoot it in black and white. The shade is very rich with this cover :lol:.

Naturally! As a stylist I'd be wary of shooting Kors for the cover. Especially for this magazine. Last time it resulted in Lucinda going rogue......and we all know how that ended.

LMAO! Like the sun rising in the sky, I can always count on reading the most ridiculous, receipts free comments about Madonna on this forum. This cover is instantly iconic, and getting universal praise. Mert and Marcus are genius at what they do, and I'm pretty sure this issue will sell well for British Vogue. The ball is in your court Emmanuelle..:heart:

Naturally! As a stylist I'd be wary of shooting Kors for the cover. Especially for this magazine. Last time it resulted in Lucinda going rogue......and we all know how that ended.

Yeah I immediately thought of that Lucinda debacle when I saw Michael Kors being given a credit for this cover. Not that Michael Kors’ design is remarkable to begin with, but how is one supposed to identify the dress when it was shot that way? Let alone sell it? LOL

Yeah I’m going to need you to sober up cause that story is highly false. Madonna shaded Janet FIRST on her Truth or Dare documentary as well as on a dinner date with MJ for their Oscar red carpet together.

Janet has absolutely no reason to be jealous of Madonna in any format considering both artist extensive amount of accolades. So please keep Janet out of this!

Also, that Whitney joke was tasteless but I expect no less from Madonna fans.

Honestly, it’s just a recollection... I really don’t care to be perfectly honest... I’d rather they all got along. However, I think the Janet’s interview I was referring to was from the Control era which I believe was before Truth or Dare. Honestly, I am sure you know it better.

I really love the cover far more than I would expect!

It has a Saudade feel to it. It reminds me a of Portugal style during our Dictatorship period. A lot! All of it does.

Anyone who sees some old photos from that period you see resemblance in a lot Portuguese houses, how they dress and presence. You see it in this shot although it had some British trades on it.

During Billboard we had set inspired in Portuguese Houses, and now this shoot. Her new music has inspired from Portugal from she has been saying in interviews, so I think from now we will see more of it.

I got in a mood of buying it...

The only problem I have is the horrendous mix of baby blue and pink on the cover lines, but I’m quite sure subscribers won’t see those on their copies so I’m actually good with this.

I'm hoping this will be the case, because eradicating most of the text on the cover will allow the mood of the image to come across.

But nearly every month, we get this type of sub-par art direction from Edward and his team. If you have to remove most of the coverlines for your cover to work, then you're probably not tremendously good at creating covers - certainly not in the traditional (commercial) sense.

The color shot is very captivating! The lighting is so flattering and just the right amount of soft, making the fabrics even more expensive looking and ultimately selling them, as a fashion magazine photograph should. Makes me wonder what would have happened if the cover and the entire spread were printed in color instead of B&W.

Madonna On Motherhood And Fighting Ageism: “I'm Being Punished For Turning 60”

When Decca Aitkenhead meets Madonna for the June cover interview of Vogue, she is not sure which iteration of the pop powerhouse will receive her – and the impeccable Georgian façade of her central London townhouse betrays no clue. The mother of reinvention, Madonna has variously been a singer, actor, dancer, filmmaker, activist, author and philanthropist. She has been a Kabbalah spiritualist, a punk club kid, an English country lady, a dominatrix; she has played Eva Perón and Breathless Mahoney, and channelled Marilyn Monroe. But, even now, aged 60, and with her 14th studio album, Madame X, due for release on June 14, her career still feels like a battle.

“People have always been trying to silence me for one reason or another, whether it’s that I’m not pretty enough, I don’t sing well enough, I’m not talented enough, I’m not married enough, and now it’s that I’m not young enough,” she tells Aitkenhead. “So they just keep trying to find a hook to hang their beef about me being alive on. Now I’m fighting ageism, now I’m being punished for turning 60.”

She’s motivated by the thought of paving the way for women to come, but Madonna’s duty of care to younger generations is often overlooked by the celebrity gossip narrative. “People got very excited about [the thought of Lady Gaga and myself as] enemies, when we never were enemies,” she sighs of society’s tendency to pit women against each other.

That said, Madonna has not felt particularly supported by women throughout her career. She is grateful for the artists who worked against all odds and defied convention before her, such as Frida Kahlo. “There are no living role models for me,” she concedes. “Because nobody does what I do. And that’s kind of scary. I can look back at women who I think were great and amazing – freedom fighters, like Simone de Beauvoir or Angela Davis – but they didn’t have kids. Being a single parent of six children, I continue to be creative and be an artist and be politically active, to have a voice, to do all the things that I do. So I mean, there isn’t anybody in my position.”

When most families expand, the parents tend to relax their rules, but Madonna says she feels the need to protect her children more than ever. She hasn’t allowed her 13-year-old son David to have a phone yet. “I’m going to stick that one out for as long as possible, because I made a mistake when I gave my older children phones when they were 13,” she shares. “It ended my relationship with them, really. Not completely, but it became a very, very big part of their lives. They became too inundated with imagery and started to compare themselves to other people, and that’s really bad for self-growth.”

She sees her own work ethic most reflected in David. “What he has more than anything is focus and determination,” Madonna continues. “I’m pretty sure he got it from me. He’s the one I have the most in common with. I feel like he gets me; he has more of my DNA than any of my children so far. Let’s see what happens – it’s still early days for everyone.”

Her daughter Lola, she goes on, “is insanely talented. I’m green with envy because she’s incredible at everything she does – she’s an incredible dancer, she’s a great actress, she plays the piano beautifully, she’s way better than me in the talent department. But she doesn’t have the same drive, and again, I feel social media plagues her and makes her feel like, ‘People are going to give me things because I’m her daughter.’ I try to give her examples of other children of celebrities like Zoë Kravitz, for instance, who have to work through that ‘Oh yeah, you’re the daughter of…’ – and then eventually you are taken seriously for what you do. You just have to keep going. But does she have the same drive that I have? No. But she also has a mother, and I didn’t. She grew up with money, and I didn’t. So everything is going to be different. But what can I do? I can’t fixate on it. I just have to do my best.”
vogue.co.uk

I know it's only an extract of the full feature, but this reads like an US Weekly writeup. Often wondered where her fans get that 'Queen of the World' thing, and here we see it firsthand from her. Pass me the smallest violin, please!

It's also funny that she's saying people pit women against one another, yet she's doing that with her own kids. 'David is the one I have the most in common with. He has more of my DNA than any of my children so far." Great parenting right there. The rest of the kids won't feel a certain way once they read this interview.

I know it's only an extract of the full feature, but this reads like an US Weekly writeup. Often wondered where her fans get that 'Queen of the World' thing, and here we see it firsthand from her. Pass me the smallest violin, please!

It's also funny that she's saying people pit women against one another, yet she's doing that with her own kids. 'David is the one I have the most in common with. He has more of my DNA than any of my children so far." Great parenting right there. The rest of the kids won't feel a certain way once they read this interview.

I was confused by that. She almost shaded Lola:-) She did, however, say she was more talented than her, etc. but still.
I think she is a wonderful parent but this reads a bit strange.
I don’t actually disagree with any of her claims and yes, maybe we need a violin as a background accompaniment but sadly, most of them are true.
I did find her statement about Gaga a bit weak too. I almost felt she should have said that 10 years ago. Having said that I don’t think she ever said anything really bad about Gaga (was always blown out of proportion) and the reductive comment will forever be my favourite:-D It’s my guilty pleasure:-)

That photograph ^ would have been a stunning cover with the proper lighting, with her facing the camera. Perfect. Glamorous.

However, some of the photos barely resemble her. I don’t know if its the hair or the makeup, but when I look at it at first glance, I don’t see Madonna.

Also, she really needs to shake things up creativity wise. So far, Madame X is gearing up to be one and the same as the others (imo). We can’t criticize the likes of Nicki, Ariana +++ for doing the same thing again and again, while giving the likes of Madonna, Beyoncé, Mariah ++ a free pass. Legendary status is not a license for laziness.

I love this shot of Madonna, it's graceful and vulnerable but not weak. However, I don't like it for a Vogue cover at all; there are too many distracting elements: the bath tube, the glass of wine, the fact that she does not look into the camera, the balck and white, the baby blue and pink together.. If this is going to sell it is probably just because it's Madonna.
Take Vogue Italia July 2007 : this has different theme I know, but it's an example of how a bath shot should be made to use it as a cover, it's centered, it captures your attention, you can see the model, the dress.

Take Vogue Italia July 2007 : this has different theme I know, but it's an example of how a bath shot should be made to use it as a cover, it's centered, it captures your attention, you can see the model, the dress.

I think the difference is the purpose of the shot. Vogue Italia wanted to show the clothes. It didn't forget the fact that it was a fashion magazine advertising clothes. Meanwhile, this month's UK Vogue focused on what Madonna wanted and her narrative. This plays to her Madame X kitschy multiple personality schtick that she's going for. The clothes are barely seen, and all eyes on her.

I don't think there is only ONE way to do a cover properly...sometimes it's the picture and the subject and not the dress...it depends on the material they edit....It's what they wanted to say, their intention. I wonder if Madonna or her people got something to do in the editing process...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisy123455
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->