Your Wardrobe Essentials

Right now, I have to agree with a lot of you - my skinny jeans are key in my wardrobe. Them, and my Fiorentini + Baker Motorcycle Boots, usually worn together.

But I would also have to say that my buffalo check wool dress from Rogan is pretty essential. It's my winter go-to dress. In the summer I have a jersey dress from Loomstate that's my linchpin. I can't imagine not having either one of them in my closet...

Great thread!

Cardigans! I haven't done my laundry in a while and have no more cardigans left to wear. I was late for work today because I just couldn't find the right piece to wear. :(

LOL! I also had a short sleeved black knit cardigan that I wore to death. I loved it, it really added some balance and texture to me. (Balance because I'm much smaller on top).

Right now I'd have to save my black cashmere v-neck sweater, my black cashmere beret, and my black high heeled rounded toe boots. These are all very important basics in my wardrobe that also keep me warm!

This glorious red cashmere cardigan with pearl buttons. The dry cleaners destroyed it and I haven't had the heart to dress up these days. I have no idea what to do with my wardrobe. Also a pair of meli melo jeans. Which are slowly falling apart. I need to find a replacement soon.

Probably skinny jeans and a black and a grey cardigan.
Flared jeans look odd on me, so skinny or at least straight leg jeans are the way to go for me. Cardigans are so versatile and go with almost everything in my wardrobe - I wear them all year round, but especially when it's too cold to wear my favourite tees on their own.

My Miu Miu booties, any of my scarves, and my Wolford leggings. All are central and inexpendable at the moment.

in the winter
my sheer white tees - i layer them under everything
and my colored C&C extra long sleeved tees - in shades of grey and yellow
sturdy doc martens sneakers - for moving through slush
knit beret from anthropologie

Okay i've a few more lynch pins i've thought of:

Winter
-grey beret for every bad hair day
-a red vintage long-sleeved dress i wear for any semi dressy events when i have nothing to wear
-pair of black flat boots
-skinny jeans

Summer
-a wide thick black belt that i can add to anything and make it look good e.g. tee dresses, skirts as dresses etc.
-thongs

I have just purchase a tuxedo jacket and have worn it pretty much every time i go out so i think its my new lynch pin.

i have been trying to come up with an answer...
but i've got nothing...:ermm:...

maybe my linchpin is missing...?
maybe that is why i am having a wardrobe crisis lately....

i think i go through phases...
and while i think my wardrobe is consistent...
i think it is consistently all over the place...

:P

tata, thanks for the word 'linchpin' - i was just thinking about this and didn't have the right name for the concept! sometimes it takes a word to be able to really grasp something, now i am all about the linchpin.

i took some shoes to the cobbler the other day and he pointed out that my favorite boots have some water damage!!! it gave me a little scare and made me realize how much i depend on certain things, those 'linchpins', and hate it when they leave my wardrobe.

these are just a pair of frye boots, but they're a 'one-off' style from a few years ago that have a higher heel than the usual engineers, so they are much more flattering on me. and, not too easy to replace. i wear them with everything.

my others are - skinny jeans that i wear with those boots (the 1/100 that actually fit and look good on me), a perfect dark denim mini, perfect wool/cashmere black turtleneck, black silk chiffon blouse (the most flattering cut ever and goes with everything), leather jacket (beautiful simple cut, plain and chic - but on its last legs unfortunately).

past linchpins of note (r.i.p.) - red flats with a 1/2 inch stacked heel (holy grail - cute and extremely walkable), caramel colored suede jacket (a million-dollar thrift store find, people openly lusted after that jacket, sigh...), fur-lined army jacket (my coolest, warmest winter jacket ever), leather satchel with buckles.

and, in fact, when those things died so did my wardrobe... for awhile, until i regrouped. now, i think i shop more consistently and keep reconfiguring things so my entire 'look' doesn't get wiped out when something important dies, i hope anyway.

i have been trying to come up with an answer...
but i've got nothing...:ermm:...

maybe my linchpin is missing...?
maybe that is why i am having a wardrobe crisis lately....

i think i go through phases...
and while i think my wardrobe is consistent...
i think it is consistently all over the place...

:P

softgrey, what comes to mind from WAYWT (awhile ago) - barney's co-op boots and some black cropped pants (vanessa bruno??), they seemed like core shapes for you. :flower:

past linchpins of note (r.i.p.) - red flats with a 1/2 inch stacked heel (holy grail - cute and extremely walkable), caramel colored suede jacket (a million-dollar thrift store find, people openly lusted after that jacket, sigh...), fur-lined army jacket (my coolest, warmest winter jacket ever), leather satchel with buckles.

:P I love the RIP!

My past linchpins...black leather motorcycle jacket and army issued combat boots, used to love to wear them with baby doll dresses (the first time they were in style!), sparkely wool beret (now I've upgraded to a new black cashmere one and a cashmere sequined one), Tory Burch Reva flats in silver, yeah I know BUT I never got so many compliments, oh all the black v-neck sweaters that I've loved and worn out, a swiss army termal with a big white star, I wore it till it had holes, a beloved Ann D. sweater, again with holes....

tata, thanks for the word 'linchpin' - i was just thinking about this and didn't have the right name for the concept! sometimes it takes a word to be able to really grasp something, now i am all about the linchpin.

:D You are most welcome :wink:

You know, I remembered something while I was thinking about this ... I actually did manage to replace that black cardigan, it was with a 3/4 sleeve black raw silk Ralph Lauren shirt bought oversize & worn as a jacket. Then the dry cleaners destroyed that :innocent: and it was that shirt that I couldn't properly replace & thus had to reinvent my wardrobe.

And I suppose I should admit the truth about how I finally came to grips with the fact that my black cardigan had to go ... it was crocheted, and when it started to develop a hole in a rather obvious location :innocent: it was such a linchpin that I actually ignored it for a day or two, I suppose telling myself that it had lots of other "openings," until one of my coworkers started to stare at the hole & I absolutely had to face the truth ...

You do have a point & I'm a bit ambivalent about linchpins too ... they are wonderful when you have them :heart:, but when they die it is rather cataclysmic & it often forces you to reinvent your wardrobe--no bad thing, I hasten to add :P The uniform is addictive & seductive, but ultimately not truly fashionable I suppose :wink:

This season I have really been missing my black suede Victorian style ankle boots, so I suppose they must have been a linchpin. There are things in my closet I can't wear without them ...

Another was my Marc by Marc coral polka dot chiffon skirt (also RIP).

But I do agree ... if you deliberately shift a bit each season, deliberately add new key things, you're in a much better position than if you just coast along ... until one day: :shock:

I have to admit i try not too rely on a lynch pin because when they RIP its absolutely devastating.

Past RIP's for me would have to be my jeans. I used to wear one pair until they wore out. Now i have a few pairs so that i don't have a complete wardrobe meltdown when they finally die.

I think often pieces of jewelery or accessory's such as hats, belts or shoes become a lynch pin for me too but usually i get sick of them before they wear out.

there seems to be a lot of emotion in this topic... quite tragic in fact!

...and the thing about holes seems to be another theme. ta-ta that is so funny about your holey sweater. all of the r.i.p.'s i mentioned earlier went out with holes... or rips - the denial...!

For me, probably skinny jeans (preferably dark wash) and cardigans (in any colour)

there seems to be a lot of emotion in this topic... quite tragic in fact!

...and the thing about holes seems to be another theme. ta-ta that is so funny about your holey sweater. all of the r.i.p.'s i mentioned earlier went out with holes... or rips - the denial...!

Denial is exactly right :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->