US Vogue ‘Digital Cover’ October 2024 : Kamala Harris by Annie Leibovitz

When it comes to Annie, it might be an interesting experiment for people to go through the more recent years of her work, and to identify when they think she last took a decent portrait of anyone.

The exacting effort that used to go into photographers lighting their shoots has been discarded as a waste of time - people think that digital post-processing can compensate for all of that.

I remember watching the retouching portion of her masterclass and laughing because the before image looked so much better than the finished product

on Annie allegedly being an evil mastermind Karen who intentionally makes black subjects look bad.... that's just her style. it's how she shoots/lights/edits everyone. it just may so happen that some people think darker complexions fare worse under that style, but it's not like she treats her black subjects any different. her style is just kinda ugly, simple as that.

on Annie allegedly being an evil mastermind Karen who intentionally makes black subjects look bad.... that's just her style. it's how she shoots/lights/edits everyone. it just may so happen that some people think darker complexions fare worse under that style, but it's not like she treats her black subjects any different. her style is just kinda ugly, simple as that.
Absolutely nobody said she was an evil mastermind Karen who treats black subjects differently. They are simply saying her white gaze and aesthetic prevents her from adequately portraying the beauty of black talent.

Is it really that “her white gaze and aesthetic prevents her from adequately portraying the beauty of black talent” or do internet critics just not have taste?

The same people who think the below photo of Beyoncé is a triumph likely think the below photo (by Annie) of Viola is horrible. It’s a matter of (lack of) taste.

IMG_7183.jpeg
IMG_7181.jpeg

Is it really that “her white gaze and aesthetic prevents her from adequately portraying the beauty of black talent” or do internet critics just not have taste?

The same people who think the below photo of Beyoncé is a triumph likely think the below photo (by Annie) of Viola is horrible. It’s a matter of (lack of) taste.
I don't think its about taste or lack of. Each photo has its own place and time but I do think that Annie needs to develop her lighting and editing to accommodate more skin tones. i dont think she's a Karen that's intentionally making black women look bad, she just hasn't expanded her skills and I do blame the editors for handing her high profile work despite her proving multiple times that she cant handle it. Many of us had to learn how to capture and edit Caucasian tones to avoid washing them out or over exposure because we mostly have a clientele with darker skin tones.
This is Beyonce and her mother by Annie W and Viola by a black photographer in Vanity Fair. Then that is Misty Copeland by Annie looking like a completely different person and Misty Copeland in a random event photo. There's nothing tasteful about making Misty Copeland look like concrete.

GKzxrOBWoAARlkK
GKzxrOMWAAAxBln
Screen-Shot-2020-07-15-at-11.12.40-AM-1024x754.png
7l9jdcorajnc1.jpeg
Misty-Copeland-at-Breitling1_Getty-for-Breitling.jpg

ph motherofmost/twitter
ebony.com
rangefinderonline
reddit

Last edited:
^^^ You’re talking about consumer-end, department-store, catalogue and generally a mainstream aesthetics where a more natural skintone is preferred and preserved. That’s your personal taste and preference.

Your criticism that the true skintone of Black individuals aren't “properly”/correctly" showcased in these very stylized fashion shoots is your own very conservative preference of how Black skintone should be presented. Is that the “White gaze” in question? Which is more of a current-era “fashion gaze”, really. Because looking back at Annie’s better days in the 2000s, she photographed Black individuals beautifully— even with the “unnatural” skintones of her imagery. And in this case with Annie, it’s just her being way way way passed her prime since her efforts have been a hack these days— whether she’s shooting Black subjects, or White subjects. It’s not a deliberate sabotage nor ignorance of Black skintones— and not some nefarious, malicious, hateful act that some are convinced Annie (and others with their "White gaze") are inflicting onto dark skintones when someone like Rafael does worse when producing shoots with all-Black casts, and is utterly clueless with how he lights them or enhances them in post LMFAO I couldn’t roll my eyes far back enough at Western casting for Asian models— especially the men, that often resemble eunuchs in their appearance. But it’s just a Western preference for a certain(beta male) look in male models these days, and not some insidious ploy to denigrate Asian “beauty”. But the low standards in models is applied to Asian, Black, Brown and White models equally these days. Eh.

BTW If the forever tacky and soulless conglomerate Beyonce were not used as some ideal standard for anything creative (never mind her shady ethics that people seem to casually overlook), then that would be a great start to any discussion. But I’m sure somebody somewhere is going to interpret criticizing her as racism/anti-Black/misogyny etc etc when the reality is this person is creepily worshipped like some deity (…Let’s ask Jaguar Wright about her LMFAO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OhHellMel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->