US Vogue September 2020 by Jordan Casteel & Kerry James Marshall

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by kokurox, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Thechief46

Thechief46 New Member

Worst issue ever!

2. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Active Member

The cover is so much better in high-res quality. I think sometimes we need to wait for better quality pictures because that first picture did nothing for the artwork, which I find quite beautiful actually, and I love the fact that they made her afrocentric features more prominently.

slayage likes this.
  3. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

I received my copy in the mail a few days ago, with Kerry James Marshall as the primary cover. Jordan Casteel's cover is the on the first page inside, same quality paper as the cover, which is to say awful awful quality. I really wish, at least for the cover, they'd go for a better quality paper. Ever since they stopped sending issues wrapped in plastic, the cover is always scratched up and slightly torn, to the extent that if I really like an issue, I have to go and purchase an additional copy on a newstand, and then bin the subscription one. I'll probably pick up another copy with KJM's cover to keep long term, because I love his painting and because this issue feels very specific and of-the-moment and I think it will be interesting to look back on it in coming years.

Jordan Casteel's cover is growing on me. Though I never hated it, I wasn't a big fan and now I'm starting to think it's quite nice. Just looks better on paper. Even though neither artist is profiled in this issue, there is a "making of the covers" feature included in the magazine. I know Jordan has been profiled in Vogue at least twice before, in recent years. Further proof Anna isn't merely jumping on a bandwagon and tokenizing these artists, since she has been giving them space in her magazine. I recall reading a long piece on Amy Sherald in American Vogue, who everyone is praising Vanity Fair for commissioning, within the last year or so.

Overall I can't say I enjoyed the issue. I know the obstacles the team was up against, working from the city hit hardest by Covid, during the height of the pandemic. But the fact is, that really only excuses a lack of content. If you have a photographer and their team, stylists, and models all assembled together, Covid can't be blamed for the lackluster results. So many of the photos are drab and uninspiring. There's a horribly grainy shot by Annie Leibovitz that had absolutely no business being printed in a magazine. The mask editorial is just not visually appealing. The only editorial I really enjoyed was The Custom of the Country.

#243 KINGofVERSAILLES, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  4. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Overall very uninspired issue...you can be inclusive and political but the images so weak..

And also where is the fashion?

5. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I saw the Kerry James cover at Giant and decided to get it since its an unusual issue for an unusual time. In person it doesnt look as bad though the second cover which is on the second page doesnt look nice even in person. The content is not as exciting especially quality wise which I guess was an effect of lockdown. The picture quality is terrible especially with the very dark skinned subjects. Lupita, Adut and the dark skinned male model in the Salvatore Ferragamo ad look grey ! Some of the images also have a very low resolution I guess they were shot via Zoom.

tigerrouge and avonlea002 like this.
  6. Cute

Cute Well-Known Member

7. PowerDroid

PowerDroid Member

Amen. Agree on everything you wrote.