US Vogue Summer 2024 : Kendall Jenner by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

But do you really think comparing her with Linda, Kendall as a "fashion model" is above all the rest of the girls? Kendall is better than Raquel? That's the biggest lie ever. She does a little effort to take pictures, and after 10 years, is alarming. The other girls like Gigi, Bella and Kaia they will never be like the supers, but they make an effort while working, and their pictures can be stunning. Kendall is a gorgeous girl, her beauty is natural, and this cover makes her shine like the diamond she is, but is sad that she can't pull a model with it most of the time. Maybe she does it only for the money or likes (and good for her), but not for the passion of being a model. The next issue will have and actor, singer or athlete again. To the older readers that miss models and glamour, this cover is such a let down. To seeing her and not other on the (maybe) only cover dedicated to a fashion model doesn't feel good.

Who said Kendall is better than Linda or Raquel? 💀

Do people really expect Vogue to serve high fashion fantasy starring women like Raquel or Daria or Carmen? In 2024? When they can barely keep their business afloat? 💀

Pretty sure Anna and her team would rather cast Kendall or Gigi for the engagements and a quick cash grab because of their mass following. Print is dead and whether we like it or not modelbrities like Kendall and Gigi have hundreds of millions of followers in the digital space.

At this point I’ve accepted the fact that she’s not going anywhere anytime soon (for my mental health’s sake because grudge and resentment are not good, forgiveness and acceptance are). However…I just wish they stop trying to make her high fashion because she is just not- no matter how hard you try, she’s always gonna look commercial. So why not just do a commercial cover and editorial?!! Her, in a white t-shirt, on a beach, with a horse, hair let loose, maybe jeans (like Bella’s last US vogue cover/ her recent tommy Hilfiger ads). I would tolerate that a lot more than this so called high fashion image they’re so desperately wanting her to evoke. It just doesn’t and will never happen. And that’s periodttt

Has it really been 10 years already? Time sure flies at this age.

It's a double month issue. Hope there's more eds inside. Last month was a shocker.

00020_VG_409_F17.jpg
This is a HORRIBLE image. It's so uncomfortable and you know damn well she doesn't work out at all in this kind of capacity.

The cover is fine, and so are the other potential cover options in the edit. The rest is passable to poor. The smiling portrait shot has her looking drunk or greened out of her damn mind and has got the munchies but someone just brought over a huge stack of pizzas to the beach frat party and all is now good.

It's an attempt at Herb Ritts, Hans Feurerm, Bruce Weber and maybe with a touch of Peter Beard. None of it clicks, and Kendall doesn't really exude much life or chemistry with her surroundings. She's just there, surplus to her own existence and modelling capacity.

Nobody should be dismissed or dissed at who still believes in the lie they taught as as kids called 'meritocracy', simply because it's what's fair and that will never, ever get old. To hope for an industry that values true talent instead of social status, wealth, connections, family ties, Instagram followers, etc. will never be in vain. And there's a general overall discontent due to this (not only on TFS), but even Vogue released a survey about this last year.

Is Kendall beautiful? No doubt about it. Is the editorial bad? No, it isn't, but that is not the point. The fact that there are countless extremely talented models who could've filled her shoes and are more deserving of this cover is what is outrageous and upsetting. I am talking about the models who got where they are due to their hard work, skills, not their family ties, not their followers, not their wealth, not their connections, social status. And I respect models, especially the ones who come from nowhere, they have to go through so much crap, crap that someone like Kendall knows nothing about, because she has the privilege to skip it.

If Kendall, the Kardashians, and all of these influencer/socialite/reality TV stars are considered 'culture', this just talks about the deplorable state of the world. Nobody should conform to what industries shove in your face all the time, and certainly, nobody should ever accept unfairness.

^I totally get what you mean, but covers are not something to be deserved. It’s a private company, run by somebody with personal tastes and with a vision of what could work in terms of image and business.

Kendall is way more relevant than any other model. She is a celebrity. It doesn’t matter if she’s “sister of”, she is more interesting to the general public than my beloved Raquel Z, for instance. And it’s normal. Fashion is a entertaining industry at this point. Although nepotism has been there since the very beginning, it’s not something new at all.

All the business are full of nepotism and connections. It is life. If you want a fair job you can be a civil servant. Otherwise, it’s impossible.

And they always say Vogue and fashion is a reflection of times. Kendall is “now”. She is relevant. She is part of the fashion as entertainment era.

In 2004 fashion was something more private, more elitist, more deep let’s say. It changed. We can’t expect the same outcomes when the context is different.

Btw, I’m so lost. Vogue doesn’t do June, July, August issues anymore?

And M&M are back? When was the last time they shot something relevant together?

I can’t keep up with fashion these days anymore.

Last edited:
And it’s normal. Fashion is a entertaining industry at this point. Although nepotism has been there since the very beginning, it’s not something new at all.
Thank you for your 'enlightening' explanation. If you didn't spell it out for me, I would have never guessed it.

Do you know racism used to be 'normal' as well and that it's also not 'new'? Just because it's 'normal' doesn't make it right and everyone is absolutely entitled to not accept this. Conformism and cynicism are why things never change for the better in this world. And I believe it's a significant part of people who are sick of the current state of things. Nepotism is the real enemy of creativity besides suppressing ideas just for the sakes of sales and you will just get mediocre results if you endorse this. The fact that anyone can accept this is just beyond me. It's not about how things are and why, it's about the much better (and fairer) possibilities of what could be. Since when have conformists changed the world for good? Being reactionary is the enemy of progress.

You know Victoire de Castellane? Marisa Berenson? François Henry Pinault? Delphine Arnault? Sofia Coppola? Stella McCartney? Liza Minelli? Jane Fonda? Cordelia de Castellane? And a tousand more... There is no way to fight against nepotism. You can complain as much as you want, but that won't change anything.

Racism is different, because clients could end up not buying. Companies are, in some cases, still very racist, and the fact of adding a black girl to a campaign doesn't make them less racist. Same as when pride month approaches and they place the rainbow in their logo. It is just marketing. Actually, many times they just add black models because they know that if they don't, they could have problems. If you knew the things I've heard inside top corporations...

So, yeah, nepotism is here to stay and will never change. If someone is powerful, they will do whatever they can for their beloved ones to get where they want to be. We can cry as much as we want, but the reality is that.

I totally get what you mean, but covers are not something to be deserved. It’s a private company, run by somebody with personal tastes and with a vision of what could work in terms of image and business.
LOL saying that covers are not deserved is super controversial here, I've noticed. Good luck with this. Certain users act like getting *a cover* (of nearly anything!) is the equivalent of the Nobel Prize in Physics.

I'm really of two minds about nepotism. On one hand, nepotism "opens the door" in a lot of fields it makes it easier to get started... but they still gotta do the work. I think this is less true with fashion models than other industries, sure we can argue about "talent" as a model, but I'm not going to go there. If someone is good at what they do, despite nepotism, meh. Whatever, if there's an HONEST effort to be good at whatever they're doing.

HOWEVER, there's the other side of nepotism and I've noticed this a lot more with fashion (and "acting") where the quote: "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple" applies. Please, going on and on about all the hard work you put in as a mediocre, at best, model and pretending that it was all HaRd EaRnEd is infuriating to read! Having some self-awareness and humility would go a long way, buuut this is the fashion industry...

LOL saying that covers are not deserved is super controversial here, I've noticed. Good luck with this. Certain users act like getting *a cover* (of nearly anything!) is the equivalent of the Nobel Prize in Physics.

I'm really of two minds about nepotism. On one hand, nepotism "opens the door" in a lot of fields it makes it easier to get started... but they still gotta do the work. I think this is less true with fashion models than other industries, sure we can argue about "talent" as a model, but I'm not going to go there. If someone is good at what they do, despite nepotism, meh. Whatever, if there's an HONEST effort to be good at whatever they're doing.

HOWEVER, there's the other side of nepotism and I've noticed this a lot more with fashion (and "acting") where the quote: "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple" applies. Please, going on and on about all the hard work you put in as a mediocre, at best, model and pretending that it was all HaRd EaRnEd is infuriating to read! Having some self-awareness and humility would go a long way, buuut this is the fashion industry...

I appreciate the sophistic attempt at justifying this, but no thanks. It's not the Nobel Price, but certainly better content can definitely be delivered than what it is now, and many people here are complaining about the stagnant state of fashion and the mediocrity delivered by fashion magazines all the time. You are an outlier here, because there is nothing positive about nepotism. And yes, getting a cover for a model is equivalent to getting the Nobel Prize in Physics, the Pritzker Architecture Prize, or the Pulitzer for Journalism. I empathize with them, maybe you don't, but many do. Everybody with true talent in ANY field, as insignificant as you deem it, deserves to get recognition for it and modeling IS an art, after all, whether you like it or not.

Sure, in nepotism, people end up doing the work, but you fail to see the matter of things. The question is, is it the best quality of work possible and does it deliver the same outcome as if you grant someone the opportunity to work on it without the connections, social status, etc? The fashion industry would be a million times more inspiring than it is now, yet you fail to see the core problem.

And it's true, merits are not so simple as one thinks, it's very problematic due to our cognitive biases, plus luck always plays a big role when it comes to success. Yet, being fair is an ideal that has nothing to do with lack of humility and self-awareness (which we all should have no matter what, aside gratefulness), it's the best approach to make life livable we've got so far. If you come up with something better, please let me know, I'd appreciate it.

So, yeah, nepotism is here to stay and will never change. If someone is powerful, they will do whatever they can for their beloved ones to get where they want to be. We can cry as much as we want, but the reality is that.
I never said you were wrong in your prediction of nepotism being here to stay or it being an old fact of life. I simply said, we are all entitled not to accept this and it is only the sign of a healthy mind to do so. Poverty is also normal and it's here to stay, yet I'm still not going to accept social injustice.

If people hadn't "cried" for racial inequality and segregation to end (people like you also said it was there to stay), then we wouldn't have the world we have today.

What I find both hysterical yet ironic is that someone who calls themselves 'Creative' loves to think inside the box. It's the very antithesis of the word. Imagine all the people...................................

If Kendall and models like her were such surefire sellers on the front of US Vogue, there wouldn't be any need to economise with a 'summer' issue, they'd be sticking Kendall on June, Gigi on July, Bella on August, Kaia on September, and so on, churning out a 100-page pamphlet each and every month.

But isn't it more about the media attention they bring rather than actual sales? Print doesn't sell and I don't think anyone can change that. Having Kendall on cover won't generate sales (aside from Kris buying 40 issues to stack them on table) but will definitely impact the digital engagement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->