US Vogue October 2024 : Lady Gaga by Ethan James Green

What I find very odd is, why launching it so early? ok they premiered the movie yesterday in Venice, but why then not using this for the September Issue, instead of that totally forgettable Blake cover?

The movie is released less than 1 month from now, so it’s the perfect time to release and try to contribute to the pre-release buzz (which isn’t that great lol, but that’s not Vogue or Gaga’s fault) while also having the physical issue in newsstands during the first week or two of the movie’s release.

This is extremely anecdotal, but I think Blake’s cover sold very well. I’ve seen it sold out at 2 newsstands that rarely if ever sell out of titles, and low stock at a couple other places (contrast to seeing literally dozens of copies of HB and ELLE still available)

I share the same feeling as @aracic, something is missing... I don't know if it's this makeup that looks unfinished or if maybe it's Gaga who isn't able to convince me with her expressions! But somehow I appreciate the effort for something different and more artistic.

Most celebrity covers rely on you being a fan of the person and therefore inclined to 'fill in the gaps' with your own enthusiasm.

About the only celebrity cover I can recall in recent times that really made an effort to do something radically different with the person's image was Billie Eilish's June 2021 UK Vogue cover in the vintage-style lingerie.

A lesser example might be Maisie William's March 2024 cover of UK Bazaar, but she was starring in a TV series about Dior, so it was 'in character'.

Not even sure why that first cover even made it to print, when that second full-length cover is far more superior. Absolutely love it, and love the fact Ethan James Green was commissioned to photograph Lady Gaga. This feels very... fashion and so perfectly executed. I'm a fan!

It's all very sloppy, from the make up to the photography. The ed looks like a selection of random bts shots. EJG has potential but it's painfully obvious that his eye is not trained enough for such high profile job. Simple studio photography is the most difficult to get right. Every detail is equally important.

I think she photographs beautifully and I'm also happy to see some skin texture on the cover. However, the fashion editing is way too obvious. If they'd pushed her à la "glam-folie" like the Dior look she wore yesterday paired with the Philip Treacy headpiece, that would've been great.

More light and the first cover would have been more cool. I guess is darker because the movie. Always nice to see her back at Vogue. It's crazy some celebs have more covers than her, while she's not often there. I expect Joaquin for GQ if CN is making the same move as Barbie's movie.

I really liked the editorial, the styling works so well for the persona of Gaga, just can't stop thinking that the newsstands cover was deliberately chosen to tie in with the marketing of Folie a Deux, because the full body cover is miles better.

I love her editorials now cause it's just an excuse to showcase her archive. Her wearing Givenchy couture by McQueen (AW99)
Long Live McQueen | Alexander McQueen for Givenchy Haute Couture AW99

LOVE the Margiella cover and the editorial! everything works, it’s relatable to Gaga and the movie promotion. will definitely get this issue as it will look stunning!

I love her editorials now cause it's just an excuse to showcase her archive. Her wearing Givenchy couture by McQueen (AW99)
Long Live McQueen | Alexander McQueen for Givenchy Haute Couture AW99
Sorry to break your fantasy, but the jacket is credited as Dries Van Noten's one. :(

Written by Jonathan Van Meter
Photography by Ethan James Green
Fashion Editor Alex Jordan Harrington
Hair by Frederic Aspiras
Make-up by Sarah Tanno
Nails by Kim Truong
Tailoring by Hailey Desjardins & Egle Paulauskaite
Produced by Connect The Dots
Set Design by Marla Weinhoff
Global Entertainment Director Sergio Kletnoy

View attachment 1303666 View attachment 1303667 View attachment 1303668 View attachment 1303669 View attachment 1303670 View attachment 1303671 View attachment 1303672 View attachment 1303673 View attachment 1303674 View attachment 1303675
Anyone who says EJG is Meisel's heir should take a good look at these pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->