Vogue Arabia March 2017 : Gigi Hadid by Inez van Lamweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Well, they're right. Why use Gigi for anything other than her fame? It's not like she's muslim or she sees herself as Arabic. It's just stupid.

Should have gone for a celeb.

You just answered your own question. Gigi was used to garner attention. What brand new magazine doesn't want that kind of exposure?

As far as cultural appropriation, would the same people object to Selena Gomez or Jessica Alba (both half-Mexican) on the cover of Latina?

Kendall has more range than Yasmin. :lol: Gigi is appropriate for the debut issue (huge social media following, high fashion credibility, Palestinian roots) and that image is sublime. Strong debut cover for Vogue Arabia.

Anais Mali has a ed in this issue:woot:. Here's a preview^_^.

Photographer #TerryTsiolis
Stylist #PaulCavaco
Hair #KaylaMichele
Nails #GinaViv
MakeUp by Frankie

[

Last edited by a moderator:
My goodness such beautiful shots

Wow, stunned by the last two edits! Imaan's little HB filler edit is much better than I&V's. But Anais Mali looks amazing! She's getting better and better each time I see her in print.

The princess (no pun, apparently she really IS a princess) pulled together a great set of edits so far. But we shall see for how long she'll be able to keep this up. There's a huge difference between 'liking' fashion imagery and having a thorough understanding of how it is created. Somehow she managed to secure the top job with zero journalistic or actual styling background (a first for a Vogue editor, tbh!), only retail.

Edit: I see it's not Imaan! Still, love this Kadel's edit.

Truly stunning covers :heart: Vogue Arabia is off to a great start, hope they can keep it up!

She's partially Middle Eastern so its not.

I was being ironic. Almost everybody has roots from somewhere... If your grand-grand-grand dad comes from Japan you have the right to wear Geisha inspired clothes but Karlie doesn't... If Gigi has someone coming from Palestina, she has the right to wear the Shayla/Hijab... I don't buy it.

This girl is as arabic as me = nothing. And I don't really care. In fact, I have nothing against anyone using whatever if it's done in a respectful/artistic way, or if they want it to express something.

AS for the magazine itself, it looks like at least the tried. That's something.

AS for the magazine itself, it looks like at least the tried. That's something.

The real test for this magazine is next year, or at the very least, latter 2017 (When they're up against realtime deadlines, last minute changes, and actual criticism from readers). They had since 2016 to plan for editorials and what not for the premiere issue and at least some other issues (case in point Vogue Ukraine, Vogue Thailand).

The real test for this magazine is next year, or at the very least, latter 2017 (When they're up against realtime deadlines, last minute changes, and actual criticism from readers). They had since 2016 to plan for editorials and what not for the premiere issue and at least some other issues (case in point Vogue Ukraine, Vogue Thailand).

You're right! Also, Cortina and Cavaco? These are top contributors which we are already familiar with. So there's no distinct identity yet. I&V's edit may as well be an exceptionally good VP one, and Kadel's wouldn't look out of place in HB.

These starter Vogues should really look to Ukraine (or even the Netherlands) to see how to develop their identity. Some hate VU, some love it, but right now they're beating on their own drum. And the key here was to localise and draw candidates from their own country to develop an aesthetic which will appeal to the aiduence. To line-up photographers and stylists from the region to take global fashion and present it with a local twist.

I was being ironic. Almost everybody has roots from somewhere... If your grand-grand-grand dad comes from Japan you have the right to wear Geisha inspired clothes but Karlie doesn't... If Gigi has someone coming from Palestina, she has the right to wear the Shayla/Hijab... I don't buy it.

This girl is as arabic as me = nothing. And I don't really care. In fact, I have nothing against anyone using whatever if it's done in a respectful/artistic way, or if they want it to express something.

Isn´t her father palestinian? that´s a lot more closer than a grand grand father. Do you have to be a practicing muslim in order to wear the clothes?

J-Lo, Alba, Longoria they´re all american with latin parents, if they´d wear a mexican or cuban traditional outfit, would people scream CA?

Anais Mali's shots are beautiful, this girl is really underrated

The more I look at the cover, the more magical it becomes for me. I’m sure others are dismissing it as gaudy, ostentatious, loud etc and that’s all good— and I hope VA embraces all these qualities in all their vibrant flashiness proudly; it’s very much a part of the wealthy ME aesthetic.

Besides Gigi being the perfect, achingly gorgeous figurehead to launch Vogue Arabia like some siren heroine from an Arabian Nights fable, just the sound of “Vogue Arabia” is so deliciously, wickedly decadent, like YSL’s Opium, or Calvin Klein’s Obsession: Everything that is appropriately decadent, indulgent about high fashion.

The shimmering black and gold of the cover’s color-palette— along with the saturated jeweltones of the Yasmine edit, already has me so excited for a Vogue that’s so specific to their readership’s identity and branding. Of course, things can easily, and furiously fall apart by mid-year, and they could just be headed into expensive high-end department-store catalogue aesthetic. I’d like to hope they won’t fall into that pattern like so many other Vogues. The warning sign of mediocrity is already rearing its department-store head in that Kadel edit. Not good.

As for SWJ finger-wagging at the supposed culture appropriation… Give it a rest. These people should realize they’re further segregating rather than uniting people and cultures. The sheer ignorance is so overwhelming. Go criticize, protest the ME’s treatment of gays, women and immigrant labourers rather than such petty, non-issue.

......protest the ME’s treatment of gays, women and immigrant labourers rather than such petty, non-issue.

Well, the very idea of Vogue in the ME makes for an odd pair of bedfellows, to say the least. Because they now have a magazine flaunting merchandise conceived predominantly by gays, packed with content geared to empower women, and whose aim is to showcase creativity from people in every corner of the world. How's that for blasphemy.

We've been warned that this edition will present fashion in it's most simplistic form. Nothing too pronounced or excessive (remember, they'll have submit to censorship just like Vogue China and Russia). I'm sure this issue is just window-dressing, I'm not hoping for even more of the same, tbh.

The ME jet set has been unabashedly gaudy for well over decades. And yet I do think Vogue's entry into that region will be both a gift (for the ones who have standing custom Elie Saab orders) and a curse (for those working overtime to keep the ME's public image squeaky clean).

I cannot believe how underrated Anais is... it is annoying!

Just saw Malaika Firth's instagram that she's fronting the beauty cover

"Beauty"

Photographer: Regan Cameron
Model: Malaika Firth @ Marilyn Agency NYC
Stylist: Anya Ziourova
Make-up: Fulvia Farolfi
Hair: Ben Skervin
Casting directors: Christian Meshesha, Steven Williams

models.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads