Vogue Arabia March 2017 : Gigi Hadid by Inez van Lamweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Malaika and Anais are by far the best thing about this issue. Two great models who are sadly underrated.

This debut issue is a disappointment.

Considering the moodboard that’s featured on the editor’s page, the results are so weak— like catalogue-level weak. Sadly, it won’t take a few issues until the catalogue-curse sets in for VA, this debut issue is already mostly catalogue-level fodder.

The cover(s), the Yasmin and Anais edits, along with a gorgeous feature on Byredo founder Ben Gorham, are still magical and has the components of dreammaking, culture-defining personality I had hoped for. It’s just too bad the rest of the contents are such… forgettable filler.

This debut issue is a disappointment.

Considering the moodboard that’s featured on the editor’s page, the results are so weak— like catalogue-level weak. Sadly, it won’t take a few issues until the catalogue-curse sets in for VA, this debut issue is already mostly catalogue-level fodder.

The cover(s), the Yasmin and Anais edits, along with a gorgeous feature on Byredo founder Ben Gorham, are still magical and has the components of dreammaking, culture-defining personality I had hoped for. It’s just too bad the rest of the contents are such… forgettable filler.

I was just thinking the same thing.. While I like the model choices and I really enjoyed Anais edit overall, for being their debut issue it is not all that impressive, especially since the debut is usually when they bring out their A game. This gets about a B- at best from me.

Here's Anais' full editorial^_^

'Curtain Call'
Ph: Terry Tsiolis
Stylist: Paul Cavaco
Hair: Kayla Michele
Makeup: Frankie Boyd
Nails: Gina Viviano

toutiao.com

Regarding Yasmin, I can see where the negative comments come from, and I agree, she doesn't have the usual model skills

but sh'es got that way to hold her head, to look bored and autaine, her ackwareness which work really well together when the direction is aware of it and play with it

This story and the Sassen both play with what I'm talking about and I like the result

Yeah, I liker her even more than Taylor in the ed. Tay is just empty beautiful.

Looks like a very solid first issue, though I'd loved it if they had just employed arabic typography and have that be the only cover.

Apparently Cindy Bruna also has a ed in here:woot:. Here's a preview^_^.

[

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen Hans Feurer in a while, so I'm actually quite taken with the edit above. Thanks for posting, Kate! Perfect casting.

I looks like there will finally be a Vogue edition which will give black models their due. That will at least be a redeeming feature. I like that they've selected girls not because of stature, but suitability.

I can't believe how beautiful this cover is!
Anybody knows where we can buy it online? I NEED THIS :heart:

I was just thinking the same thing.. While I like the model choices and I really enjoyed Anais edit overall, for being their debut issue it is not all that impressive, especially since the debut is usually when they bring out their A game. This gets about a B- at best from me.

You are too generous. The wealth of not only of money, but of culture and of history could have created high fashion magic— at a time in high fashion that’s so desperately needed. And this is the best they can conjure up???? Even as conservative as the ME may be, there’s so much potential for creative, high fashion presentation.

The casting is the strongest aspect for sure, but the presentation of high fashion is much much much more than just casting alone. And I wished— and still hopeful that VA will be a showcase for models from these regions. ME models, along with those of South Asian and Iranian descent, are oftentimes the most overlooked MOC, despite them being some of the most beautiful faces. From experience, I get the impression it’s a combination of the conservative cultures that discourages modelling as a pursuit, along with casting agents going with Black models over ME/Brown models, when there’s enough room for both. Yasmin Lebon and Yasmeen Ghauri are two of my fav Supers back in the day. It’s about time for brown models to claim those top spots again, and VA should be the platform to present them at the best.

I don’t know if they’re able to evolve into something stronger from such a lukewarm debut. I would have gone all-out opulence and jeweltones if I were them: the budget shouldn’t be an issue for VA. Instead, there are not only fillers, but some cheap fillers (the Cindy edit is like something out of an ELLE-template, for example). Sure it’s a strong cast, but the concepts and productions are on the forgettable side for the most part.

Gigi
Photographer: Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin
Models: Gigi Hadid
Stylist: Brandon Maxwell
Hair Stylist: Ward
Make-up: Brandon Maxwell
Nails: Gina Viviano

visualizing.fashion

Brandon Maxwell on styling duties? I thought he left it all behind to focus on Gaga and his brand.

All Eyes On Me
photographer: Nicolas Moore
stylist: Paul Sinclaire

Vogue Arabia digital edition

^What does Imaan have to do with how underrated Anais is though? Is it like there can only be one "it" black model?

I'm a little perplexed as to why this would be considered her "best work yet" or a "stunning cover" but i guess...

I do however think the embellishment on the scarf/headpiece is beautiful.

^What does Imaan have to do with how underrated Anais is though? Is it like there can only be one "it" black model?

Sadly that seems to be the case though... I can't remember a time when there ever was two top black models. It's like one girl gets embraced and the rest are thereafter related to B level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgerdays
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->