Vogue Italia vs French Vogue

Avant Garde

Reaction score
Both magazines are credited as being one of the best magazines in fashion, but which magazine do you think is better in editorials and photography?

I'm wondering because I'm thinking about subscribing to one of them, because I only can only purchase one or the other. Both seem like great options. Thanks for any opinions :flower:

i think it depends on which language you can read, but if you understand both italian and french, i think you should choose the french one, because i think italian vogue's cover is a bit dull

Between the two, from editorial wise I prefer French Vogue over the Italian version. I think Italian is overhyped, and overall I prefer the layouts and feautures the French verison provides that the Italian does not. For example, French Vogue does occasional feautures on models, profiling them with pictures from early childhood etc. Other than that, French Vogue seems to be the magazine with more variety. Italian Vogue really is Meisel and one other photographer shooting the magazine leaving it to feel monochromatic, while French tends to have the more sensual feel...

Well, thats my take..

Thanks Yourbestfriend :flower:

I can't read Italian or French, but I will be learning french in the fall.

French Vogue has a more current style and better variety of pictures,

but often very slim. Italian Vogue on the other hand feels dated and the editorials are very egocentric and artsy in a bad way. Someone else said it and it's a Meisel's little playground that it may be fun to him but often boring to the readers. Italian Vogue is the painting where someone is pontificating on the significance of the black dot in the middle of a white canvas and the dot flies away.

Vogue Paris works at the cutting edge of fashion and life, while Vogue Italia is all about fashion as a realm of illusions and unrealistic dreams. So Avant Garde, why dont you go through the threads of their back issues and decide on your own?

I can't read either language (Sadly), but there is an aura about Vogue Italia that just draws me to it automatically at my local bookstore (Where the two are often placed side-by-side). And ever since I first perused these two magazines with my more graphical/visual perspective, I've felt that Vogue Italia conveyed a stronger presence with its contents.

It really is down to personal preference, though :smile: A lot of what bringbacksupers mentioned are actually the reasons I like VI more :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
tough choice for me cos i don't understand either and so there's only eds and stuff for me to judge by and that in itself is tough because they both have such great work! But based on the last few months, French Vogue. Vogue IT has been a bit iffy imo

I cannot read French or Italian, either.

Both of them are still not bad, but I will pick Vogue Paris only because I like its aura :D And I really don't like Steven Meisel :(

bored_exhausted said:
I cannot read French or Italian, either.

Both of them are still not bad, but I will pick Vogue Paris only because I like its aura :D And I really don't like Steven Meisel :(

how can you not like meisel?
actually, I can't read french and italian neither. :shock:

I'd say French Vogue:D
I love their layout more than the Italian one.

I've bought both in the past can read both languages but always regretted buying the Italian Vogue.

French vogue is like french fashion, more intellectual. The editorials have more substance, the style is avangarde chic. Sometimes it is plain dull!

Italian vogue is trendier, flashier, more artistic. Sometimes tacky.

amor said:
Vogue Paris works at the cutting edge of fashion and life, while Vogue Italia is all about fashion as a realm of illusions and unrealistic dreams. So Avant Garde, why dont you go through the threads of their back issues and decide on your own?

I have looked through back issues on tfs, but it always helps to have a second opinion. :flower:

Editorial wise I prefer french vogue although this year they haven' t produced that many memorable editorials. Vogue Italia usually has the better covers IMO.

i do not like Meiseil, too. even if He is THE photographer.

to me, they're both the best so I really cannot decide. but i can't read italian so maybe Vogue Paris....oh no! i cannot decide! they are both what i'm looking for.
but a bad point goes to Vogue Italy where there're so much ads.

I love both of them. They are the best indeed...
I buy both every month hehe

If you're learning French this fall, I would take the French

I love them both, but I still think I like Vogue Paris more.. With the Italian Vogue it really depends on the issue, while I think the French has got amazing edits in practically all issues, and also because I can read French, and not Italian^_^ The articles in the French Vogue are great

:flower:

I think I will definetly buy french vogue soon. Vogue Italia seems to be hit and miss and I'd rather buy a magazine thats consistently good. Although its not to say that Vogue Italia doesn't have great edits, but I mostly enjoy the Meisel edits such as the 'Makeover Madness' and 'Organized Robots' in earlier issues. Besides, after a year of french vogue, I could always subscribe to a different magazine. I heard that french vogue has poor delivery and they sometimes lose your issues. Is this true?

I love Italian Vogue, but I daresay I find their method of experimentation rather formulaic at times, and French Vogue certainly beats all in terms of layout...

I like both of them, they are the best vogue mags. But I think I like Vogue Italia more, I think Vogue Italia has better covers, I like the Italian style more

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->