Vogue Japan May 2021 : Imaan Hammam by Luigi & Iango

not really, I live in tokyo and I can quite safely tell you japanese are very receptive to all sorts of tastes and ideas, some may wear like this, while others may copy an idea and blend it into their own style...plus, if they want something really local local tastes, there are loads of other local fashion magazines to choose from...Vogue Japan offers a different perspective..

That said, this is a great issue! Love Imaan, more the dramatic editorial than cover.

I was shocked recently when I saw a documentary where Japanese have developed a technique where they can turn their hair into a texture that resembles an Afro and it did actually look quite nice.

^^^My friend’s daughter, who is Black/Japanese biracial, has that gorgeous natural Asian-afro puff. It’s actually not hard for some asian hair— which can be very thick and naturally wavy, when permed to the right texture and propped with the right styling aid, easily transform into an afro.

not really, I live in tokyo and I can quite safely tell you japanese are very receptive to all sorts of tastes and ideas, some may wear like this, while others may copy an idea and blend it into their own style...plus, if they want something really local local tastes, there are loads of other local fashion magazines to choose from...Vogue Japan offers a different perspective..

That said, this is a great issue! Love Imaan, more the dramatic editorial than cover.

That may be— and I suppose that their readers support this direction is enough proof of a successful formula. Still, for Vogue (… which is such a titanic, undisputed brand for fashion presentation) to be the only international publication brand in Japan, it’s a shame that its native models and culture remain as only a secondary supporting cast to the main fashion stories that are predominately-- if not always, lead by Western cast majority. Is it really necessary for a “western” POV when access to Western Vogues are so easy these days?

Anyway, I prefer the campy, colourful joy of the cover (as much of a digital-composite as it may be) to the edit. As an editorial, Imaan is gorgeous, of course, just that her story is very basic and generic. The disconnect between the covershot and the editorial is such a WTF... It only has an impact as a selection of separate images (and even then, some images aren’t good if we’re actually giving a damn about high standards.)

Blame it all on Anna’s heinously non-existent styling— to obey the brand’s demands for total looks, I guess. It reads as one of those Neiman Marcus advertorials that ran in the Sept issue back in the day; where every shot was a total look from the (paid) designers that’s featured in the department store, with absolutely no concept as a singular fashion direction. (And nothing and no one can make the imposter-Givenchy look anything but cheap here.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->