Vogue Paris April 2016 : Cindy Crawford & Kaia Gerber by Mario Testino

^and Kaia only got this cover because she´s Cindy´s daughter. Chicken or the egg? :Pink:

Hahaha, touché! Had me stuttering there for a brief moment. Kaia is trending more than her mum right now. You can't build a feature around endless 80's reminiscences and 'double dates with George and Amal'.

^but she´s also in the new Balmain campaign, they could have gone the "Supermodel" comeback route :unsure:
Anyway, I have no problem with Kaia being on the cover. They probably wanted her alone but is she famous enough to have a cover/feature all by herself? She doesn´t even have the Crawford last name.

^but she´s also in the new Balmain campaign, they could have gone the "Supermodel" comeback route :unsure:
Anyway, I have no problem with Kaia being on the cover. They probably wanted her alone but is she famous enough to have a cover/feature all by herself? She doesn´t even have the Crawford last name.

But that makes me question. Does Vogue Paris actually need to put Crawford and daughter on the cover? If it is a question of saleability, France has a million actresses connected to fashion that could shift much more magazines than Cindy. The covers with French actresses always outsell the ones with models. Clearly if itdoesn't do it more often it's because VP does not want to be that kind of magazine. So why beat around the bush? This middle of the road approach is becoming intensely annoying.

I wish to see a decent Vogue Paris cover, next please !

Chef, you're on fire, right? :lol:

Same feeling here too, though. And I'm happy someone came up with the word nepotism because I got tired seeing it when it comes to the Clevelands (and Pat isn't as closlely famous as Cindy, here at least) while this cover seemed at first time to receive only good comments. I'd love to have a nice word to say about this picture but my tongue feels dry as Kalahari. Let's put Katie Grand at Vogue Paris and at least we'll have some fun for our run.

Okay, is there an editorial in this issue? I am kind of getting tired of this discussion... ;-)

^my thoughts exactly. The "Alt-is-following-Carine's-footsteps" discussion is tiring tbh. Last month it was Gigi, now people found a way to attribute Kaia with Carine, thus resting their "well-founded" argument that Alt is using the Carine "stars" again. It's the same old discussion but only the cover star name changed from Gigi to Kaia.

there is a HUGE difference between Carine and Alt. Carine, today, is as free to do whatever it is she desires. There are no restraints on her part. She can even make someone's dog into a supermodel by putting it on her CR cover and all the brands she styles the campaign for. While Alt, she's restricted with what the powers that be want. If the theme sells - stick with it. If the person is huge - put her in the cover. She needs to sell. Alt has so much to lose than Carine. So I do understand the cover star choices.

And if she puts someone new... "Why her" "is she relevant?" If it's someone relevant .... "Oh Carine made that girl. Shame on you."

^MON, I think people who have written those sort of comments have said that, obviously, Alt can choose whoever she wants.

What is sort of 'funny' for many of us is that Carine, from her little magazine, is still bringing something to the table, good or bad (more bad than good :lol:); while Alt, from one of the most prestigious magazines on Earth, hasn't been capable of creating a supermodel, a photographer or a stylist in more than half a decade.

But, at the same time, it's obvious that being a follower is her nature and she can't help it. She prefers to be in her comfort zone, she doesn't have that eye for the new. But that's something people can criticize too. Of course we should be use to it by now, but thanks to people like her fashion is as stale as it is.

And then, you remember the incredible past of this magazine and feel sad for what it has become. Because it's not just the covers, it's everything else. There is no spark, no fashion, no energy. And Vogue Paris has always been about that.

And then, you remember the incredible past of this magazine and feel sad for what it has become. Because it's not just the covers, it's everything else. There is no spark, no fashion, no energy. And Vogue Paris has always been about that.

Totally! Actually, the best things about Vogue Paris these days are the covers.
The same uninspired "jeans, 80's/90's throwbacks, Helmut Newton by Testino with heavy make-up, cliché bourgeoise, crazy fashion in St Barth beach" editorials...

Vogue Paris is still attached to a vision of coolness but the magazine is totally powerless these days. Numero has won the battle of creativity...

It's really sad to believe that this is the vision of Emmanuelle Alt. I was a real fan of what she did at Chanel and Balmain (i don't count what she did at Gucci...the fashion wasn't good anyway) and she did some great things for Vogue Paris. Now, it's...there.

All the major Vogue are in trouble now...

Gotta kinda agree with you both, Creative and MON. This being written, Roitfeld has to sell too otherwise her torchon is over.

And then have to agree with you Creative on what Vogue Paris has become. Totally lackluster. As much as I like Emma-nu-manu-elle Alt, she hasn't left any mark (yet) as EIC of the mag.

^MON, I think people who have written those sort of comments have said that, obviously, Alt can choose whoever she wants.

What is sort of 'funny' for many of us is that Carine, from her little magazine, is still bringing something to the table, good or bad (more bad than good :lol:); while Alt, from one of the most prestigious magazines on Earth, hasn't been capable of creating a supermodel, a photographer or a stylist in more than half a decade.

But, at the same time, it's obvious that being a follower is her nature and she can't help it. She prefers to be in her comfort zone, she doesn't have that eye for the new. But that's something people can criticize too. Of course we should be use to it by now, but thanks to people like her fashion is as stale as it is.

Shade. lol

I have to 100% agree with you on this though. I don't dislike VP for who they choose for the cover or how the cover turns out (because I'm rarely disappointed by it) however, with regards to the content... I have tons to say. I agree, the spark, the energy.. has been missing for quite some time now. The only editorials I remember nowadays from VP are the main ones, the rest, I don't recall. I really believe that Alt has it in here. She's an amazing stylist. But, I think it's time for her to surround herself with new stylists. Because like i've said, no matter how repetitive her editorials are at times, hers is the only one that feels VP.. the rest fees like I've entered in a different thread.

There should be a thread about this Vogue Paris under Alt. Being said that...Alt gets interesting with one or maybe two issues a year,the rest is like she's remixing herself. And she's very different from Carine, their biggest difference is that Carine under Vogue did everything she wanted,of course at the end it didn't work out with Condenast conservative approach.

How do you think Alt could revamp VP? names?

Don't hate me guys, but I've never liked Cindy. She has always paled in comparison to the goddesses that are Naomi, Eva, Nadja, Christie, and I've never found her particularly interesting.

Plus the mother- daughter cover thing has gotten old so this is an off cover for me.

The cover looks like a type of Red or Tatler, not of Vogue. Nice to see Cindy, but Kaia is too young to follow her mother's steps to become a supermodel, i mean, she's has a babyface yet.

Almost like the good old days at the Fashion Spot.

:lol:

So true. Reminds me of some endless nights talking about these oh-so long, long threads with Mariemaud while just having seen the cover!

This being said I'm curious for the contents.

Shade. lol

I have to 100% agree with you on this though. I don't dislike VP for who they choose for the cover or how the cover turns out (because I'm rarely disappointed by it) however, with regards to the content... I have tons to say. I agree, the spark, the energy.. has been missing for quite some time now. The only editorials I remember nowadays from VP are the main ones, the rest, I don't recall. I really believe that Alt has it in here. She's an amazing stylist. But, I think it's time for her to surround herself with new stylists. Because like i've said, no matter how repetitive her editorials are at times, hers is the only one that feels VP.. the rest fees like I've entered in a different thread.

Well, not only new stylists, but also maybe update the roster of photographers! Anyway, I don't think we should be so quick to absolve her of any guilt. It's her responsibility as EIC to scrutinise the entire fashion content, so when we continually see these half-baked features, it may be the stylist's fault for conceiving it, but mostly the EIC's for actually sending it to print. For all we know they might actually be coming up with new or different angles, but maybe she's the one killing it. To me, it doesn't look as though there's that push from her team to present something new. That lack of progress must trickle down from the top. And maybe that's why her contributions for VP was so good, if not better at times, under Carine.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first saw the cover I thought it was for American Vogue. Then I saw the photographer credit and of course the overrated testino. How is he still in the business? Mario testino = death kiss for everything. Vogue Paris has no hope under Alt.

I think I was the one who brought up the whole Carine vs Emmanuelle topic in this thread, and I get that it can be tiring but like Creative, Lola701 perfectly said we keep going back at it because VP is absolutely nothing like it use to be and yet we still expect it to turn it up every month. So maybe it's another example of all of us, tfsers, expecting great things from Fashion when it is has one of its dullest and most lackluster periods in a very long time. But I still feel like voicing it because : Firstly I'm French so it kills me that my national Vogue sucks so much. And Secondly, and most importantly, because VP really was THE magazine everybody was looking forward to for cutting edge contents

Of course Meisel and VI were the holy grail. A kind of fashion supernova but it was also unrealistic and untouchable in its excessive glamour. Even Meisel has a bit lost his touch and we'll probably never see any new eds to the caliber of "Supermods Enter Rehab" but at least he's still delivering something more thant just a pretty cover. Even when he's Jane Fonda just in front of a grey background.

French Vogue, though, has always been more reliatable while still being fascinating and fabulous. It really was so impossibly cool. Thanks to the photographers, the models, the aesthtic, that effortlessness that even resulted to its fashion editors own streetstyle being glorified and copied by everybody. There really was a French Vogue allure, an attitude that made it stand out from the other editions. Alt was Fashion Director back then and she was delivering amazing stuff. Inside and out of the magazine. I mean she's the woman who initiated the Balmain mania. The real and true Balmain mania, not Kardashian's disneyland. She's th woman who made people feel like it was absolutely normal to spend thousands of euros on ripped t-shirts and go crazy over Isabel Marrant boots. Everybody wanted to dress like her. So clearly she wasn't a follower back then.

Yet when you look at the magazine now there's nothing. And it's like the French Vogue team barely exist during fashion week or on social media. Not that I condone the validation of quality calculated on the number of instagram like but there's one thing certain. Vogue Paris doesn't make people fantasise anymore.

There's no style, no soul, no attitude, nothing ! At first I thought she wanted to calm things down a bit after all the controversies at the end of Roitfeld's reign. But now it really feels like she's just lazy or has completely lost it. Now she's a follower and like it or not ( I know I don't) Roitfeld appears more like a leader than even with her excuse of a magazine and awful HB editorials. She's still a voice.

As I said Alt was not a follower originally , neither was VP and I don't think she was following Carine when Roitfeld was EIC. There was Carine's style and Alt's style , as perfectly showcase in the amazing September issue with Anna S on the cover ( 2008 I think ?) She turned it into this mix match of US-Teen-Spain Vogue. So I agree with Benn98 that she definitely needs new get her sh*t together to install some editorial direction and hire new collaborators.

Roitfeld didn't make VP a cult magazine by herself. she was a great EIC who knew how to stimulate and structure the magazine's creativy. But what she really nailed was creating a dreamteam of contributors which was unequaled in all the other editions. Fabien Baron and then M/M at the art direction, Alt as Fashion Director, MAS as editor at Large, her assitants Benjamin Bruno and Mélanie Huynh + of course the photographers from Testino to David Sims or Mert & Marcus and I&V and all the models she discovered, supported and helped blossom. Each issue of French Vogue was pouring out of talents at the prime of their game.

That's what I want from Alt. I don't want her to recreate the same team. Though I wouldn't mind seeing some of this names back at VP ( MAS and M/M for example), what I really want is for her to to look for new talents and stop following the buzz because frankly I don't think the original reader of VP, and especially in France, is very interested in Cindy Crawford's 14 year old daughter. If there's one Vogue that should bring some new cards to the table it's Vogue Paris. And it's not like there aren't any talents waiting. There is, and as EIC of French Vogue she has the prime position to do so. Probably more than any other editor of Vogue.

Sorry for the long post :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->