Vogue Paris April 2021 : Nora Attal by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Why??? It’s Vogue Paris— not Vogue Mexico. Just because they’re shooting in Mexico, doesn’t mean they have to turn everything over to Mexican creatives/models and pull only from native brands.
i did not say turning everything over to mexican creatives nor to just pull from mexican brands. however it must be said that there are plenty of amazing brands and designers they are missing out on. the styling in the production clearly tries to mimic a "mexican style" with all the colors they use, but some pieces feel out of place. the sarape and the mariachis at this point feel like relying on stereotypes and zimmerman (who was featured in nora's editorial) just recently had to pull one of its blouses because it was a stolen design from a mazatecan huipil design. presenting mexico as nothing more than a paradisiac heaven where foreigners can leave their concerns behind is not only not creative but it's also reductive of the comunities that live in these places. they are reduced to props like the luchadores in the other editorial (see @museodemoda on ig for more info on that).
the thing is not to fully ban foreigners and VP's own talent but that they take care in fully dive into the culture and open their eyes for the new talent. wasn't vogue meant to be a platform to discover the newest talents?
on an economic perspective im sure it is much cheaper to book flights from mexico city to guadalajara than from any place in europe to mexico.
some ideas come to mind of what could have been great. dorian in photography, nayeli de alba styling it, maybe featuring models sara esparza or marsella rea featuring gladys tamez's hats (like the ones she makes for gaga, florence or megan thee stalion). instyle usa for example did a story shot by khristio in mexico city starring andrea carrazco where nayeli mixed international and local brands quite incredibly.
by refusing to include anything mexican but the setting and the obvious sarapes, mariachis and luchadores it feels like sightseeing, not a fully realized apreciation.
the places look beautiful, anyway.
i really hope i don't come off as rude or as if o attacked your opinion, i just felt like this topic was overlooked in this thread.

i did not say turning everything over to mexican creatives nor to just pull from mexican brands. however it must be said that there are plenty of amazing brands and designers they are missing out on. the styling in the production clearly tries to mimic a "mexican style" with all the colors they use, but some pieces feel out of place. the sarape and the mariachis at this point feel like relying on stereotypes and zimmerman (who was featured in nora's editorial) just recently had to pull one of its blouses because it was a stolen design from a mazatecan huipil design. presenting mexico as nothing more than a paradisiac heaven where foreigners can leave their concerns behind is not only not creative but it's also reductive of the comunities that live in these places. they are reduced to props like the luchadores in the other editorial (see @museodemoda on ig for more info on that).
the thing is not to fully ban foreigners and VP's own talent but that they take care in fully dive into the culture and open their eyes for the new talent. wasn't vogue meant to be a platform to discover the newest talents?
on an economic perspective im sure it is much cheaper to book flights from mexico city to guadalajara than from any place in europe to mexico.
some ideas come to mind of what could have been great. dorian in photography, nayeli de alba styling it, maybe featuring models sara esparza or marsella rea featuring gladys tamez's hats (like the ones she makes for gaga, florence or megan thee stalion). instyle usa for example did a story shot by khristio in mexico city starring andrea carrazco where nayeli mixed international and local brands quite incredibly.
by refusing to include anything mexican but the setting and the obvious sarapes, mariachis and luchadores it feels like sightseeing, not a fully realized apreciation.
i really hope i don't come off as rude or as if o attacked your opinion, i just felt like this topic was overlooked in this thread.
TL;DR: it would be nicer if it was a colaboration between mexican creatives and vogue paris's own. and that they hadn't feature that zimmerman collection

The lesson is: Hire Mexican Talent and mexican brands

I agree with this to a point. Especially today, I think a collaboration between the teams would've been beneficial. An interesting Mexican designer, Mexican photographer, Mexican model; something to make it a bit more authentic.

I didn't bother to say anything before because it's always met with "things are too PC these days" but had she gone to China and done an entire issue on China and not featured anything Chinese, it would be the same.

I think the issue here, for me anyway, is that a lot of these cultures and the people are overlooked and reduced to someone's idea of what it is (the Mariachi's and Mexican wrestlers). My sentiments extend to the latest issue of Holiday, as well.

A wasted opportunity to push the boundaries and actually really celebrate a place, its culture and its people.

LOL Not rude at all. I just thought what is the point of having a Mexican POV--- as your post had suggested , when there is already a Vogue Mexico. A Parisian POV of Mexico within the context of Vogue Paris, is more interesting-- just as a Mexican POV of France would be more interesting within the context of Vogue Mexico.

A thoughtful collab between the Paris team and certain Mexican artisans would be great. In another time— perhaps a decade ago, Vogue Paris would likely be more open to such an investment. These days, it’s a basic shoot, even with once great visionaries as I&V— this is the pedetrian result. I’ve already mentioned the styling looks subpar and very junior range— and that even I&V can’t be bothered to coax something, anything, from Nora and Lea… These are the days, where “good enough” is the standard.

(BTW, many designers may have been pulled for a shoot, but for whatever reasons, their pieces may not be styled, or even shot. More so in these extremely cutthroat corporate demands where they insist on total looks. So other design(era) don’t get teh chance to be included. It’s so much more political these days than ever before.)

Last edited:
Malika’s editorial is the strongest one. Nora’s despite all the colour and garish backgrounds still misses some energy...

another so-so issue from Alt.

I dont like these eds...the expression on face and body are two extreme sides, either too weak or too hard.

A really missed opportunity. The main editorial is very weak. Even Riane would have killed that editorial.

Not the strongest of destination shoots I've seen inside the pages of Vogue Paris, and not a patch on Edie Campbell in Mauritius, Gisele Bundchen on the island of Nevis or Anna Ewers and Natasha Poly in St. Barts.

However, one a positive note, the clothing selection is second to none and perfectly compliments the surroundings. One thing I can appreciate about Emmanuelle Alt is that the majority of clothing featured is always wearable. The colours of the story undeniably gorgeous (love the vivid orange and pink), and while I wouldn't necessarily say I&V's photography is weak here... I just cannot pinpoint as to why the story feels uneventful.

@[B]Benn98[/B], as per usual, a million thanks for uploading the content for us!

But what will be the added value?
VP is the only Vogue centered around a city and if we wants to be specific, it’s centered around the Triangle d’Or. it’s about an idea of a particular woman and when that woman travel, she usually goes to those exact places.

The idea of a collaboration sounds good but totally kill the nature of the magazine itself. Shoot VP in République (a Parisian neighborhood) and you have another magazine that does not go at all with the editorial line of the magazine.

If the goal is to have a Mexican POV in VP...So something totally detached from the core audience, it’s better to buy Vogue Mexico.

In a way, you have described what ELLE France can do for a special issue or even what M le Monde can do. But in France, those magazines don’t seat at the same level as in the US.

VP is the only Vogue centered around a city and if we wants to be specific, it’s centered around the Triangle d’Or. it’s about an idea of a particular woman and when that woman travel, she usually goes to those exact places.

The idea of a collaboration sounds good but totally kill the nature of the magazine itself. Shoot VP in République (a Parisian neighborhood) and you have another magazine that does not go at all with the editorial line of the magazine.

If the goal is to have a Mexican POV in VP...So something totally detached from the core audience, it’s better to buy Vogue Mexico.

In a way, you have described what ELLE France can do for a special issue or even what M le Monde can do. But in France, those magazines don’t seat at the same level as in the US.

Exactly, maybe if they were doing the Mexico issue, which is NOT the case, ideas likes this could work...like when they did the Peru special issue in 2013, almost all editorials had something to do with Peruvian culture, of course under Alt’s perspective and with the help of Mario Testino who shoot all editorials.

The example of Vogue British and Vogue Mexico it’s different bc they worked together and produce shared content for both magazines.

I'm still waiting for Alt to brave enough to show her readers the "wild side" like Belleville or 14th arrondissement. :P

This is precisely why I don't think VP should be regarded as one of the top, influential Vogues because they don't represent a French market or industry, they represent as you say this moneyed woman. It has actually become more pronounced under Emmanuelle Alt - flipping through Carine's issues, I don't get the same feeling.
Of course that's totally fine for them to do so and in a way you should admire the fact that she's so staunch about it, but VP's output shouldn't be compared to the UK, US and Italian editions nor should it be used as an indication of what French creative talent is capable of. It's not. It's a niche magazine. It's a glorified version of UK Harper's Bazaar under Justine Picardie (yes, I'm still going on about that! :lol:). And if Edward has grander plans for VP, and at this stage I'm sure he does because CN has made it clear countless times through their hires that it's all about the bottom line, then the first part that will be stripped away from VP would be the exclusivity. If they want to engage a broader demographic, they'll have to make the magazine more accessible will also mean going head to head with Elle and Marie Claire who already command that audience.

I agree with what Felipe is trying to get at because the world has changed, even the way people travel have changed. I don't know anybody who just vacation in some country without immersing themselves beyond the usual 'Top 10 Things to See in XYZ'.
VP knows this as well because, in their defense, there is a lengthy feature in this issue (I think 10+ pages?) highlighting up and coming Mexican artists, actors etc etc we've not heard about. To be honest I truly believe this feature only happened thanks to the rumoured cross-collaboration with Vogue Mexico because they also did the same with the UK Vogue collab, but it happened either way. Say what you will about Vogue Mexico, at least they leverage exposure for their talent with all these collabs.

In the end, maybe getting a Mexican stylist or photographer would be a bit of a stretch, but not spotlighting a Mexican fashion brand, models or talent. That should be a given imo. I recall in the late 2000s there used to be constant outcries when editors sent mostly blonde models to an exotic location. And often those models were styled in native garb which made the situation more complex. Thankfully VP is not an artistic magazine so the styling we are seeing in Nora's edit is not specific to Mexico, it could have been shot in St Barths and wouldn't look any different.

This is precisely why I don't think VP should be regarded as one of the top, influential Vogues because they don't represent a French market or industry, they represent as you say this moneyed woman. It has actually become more pronounced under Emmanuelle Alt - flipping through Carine's issues, I don't get the same feeling.
Of course that's totally fine for them to do so and in a way you should admire the fact that she's so staunch about it, but VP's output shouldn't be compared to the UK, US and Italian editions nor should it be used as an indication of what French creative talent is capable of. It's not. It's a niche magazine. It's a glorified version of UK Harper's Bazaar under Justine Picardie (yes, I'm still going on about that! :lol:). And if Edward has grander plans for VP, and at this stage I'm sure he does because CN has made it clear countless times through their hires that it's all about the bottom line, then the first part that will be stripped away from VP would be the exclusivity. If they want to engage a broader demographic, they'll have to make the magazine more accessible will also mean going head to head with Elle and Marie Claire who already command that audience.

I agree with what Felipe is trying to get at because the world has changed, even the way people travel have changed. I don't know anybody who just vacation in some country without immersing themselves beyond the usual 'Top 10 Things to See in XYZ'.
VP knows this as well because, in their defense, there is a lengthy feature in this issue (I think 10+ pages?) highlighting up and coming Mexican artists, actors etc etc we've not heard about. To be honest I truly believe this feature only happened thanks to the rumoured cross-collaboration with Vogue Mexico because they also did the same with the UK Vogue collab, but it happened either way. Say what you will about Vogue Mexico, at least they leverage exposure for their talent with all these collabs.

In the end, maybe getting a Mexican stylist or photographer would be a bit of a stretch, but not spotlighting a Mexican fashion brand, models or talent. That should be a given imo. I recall in the late 2000s there used to be constant outcries when editors sent mostly blonde models to an exotic location. And often those models were styled in native garb which made the situation more complex. Thankfully VP is not an artistic magazine so the styling we are seeing in Nora's edit is not specific to Mexico, it could have been shot in St Barths and wouldn't look any different.
yes and i must insist that i mean both points of view could collaborate. i don't agree with the fact that hiring a mexican stylist, photographer or makeup artist since we do have the talent like luis torres (frecuent fashion week makeup artist and local to jalisco) ossiel ramos abarca doing the makeup for dior or zara worldwide campaigns. but i also agree that not highlighting mexican brands IS weird. i mean, if you go on vacation i think it's most natural that you buy clothes here to, right? and guadalajara (capital of jalisco, where the shoot was done) is one of the biggest cities when it comes to mexican designers like julia y renata, benito santos or alfredo martinez. in mérida yucatán for example it's really common to see a lot of shops that sell huipiles to visitors and americans that live their retirements there. in paseo montejo (the main avenue downtown you can find casa t'ho which sells a lot of upscale brands that could be resortwear like daniela bustos maya or caralarga jewelry (their pieces are so so so beautiful)
i didn't know that VP is as exclusive and seemingly elitist, and not reflective of france in general but it makes sense and it's sad.
it's fine that they bring their crew but i think it's worth giving local talents a chance

yes and i must insist that i mean both points of view could collaborate. i don't agree with the fact that hiring a mexican stylist, photographer or makeup artist since we do have the talent like luis torres (frecuent fashion week makeup artist and local to jalisco) ossiel ramos abarca doing the makeup for dior or zara worldwide campaigns. but i also agree that not highlighting mexican brands IS weird. i mean, if you go on vacation i think it's most natural that you buy clothes here to, right? and guadalajara (capital of jalisco, where the shoot was done) is one of the biggest cities when it comes to mexican designers like julia y renata, benito santos or alfredo martinez. in mérida yucatán for example it's really common to see a lot of shops that sell huipiles to visitors and americans that live their retirements there. in paseo montejo (the main avenue downtown you can find casa t'ho which sells a lot of upscale brands that could be resortwear like daniela bustos maya or caralarga jewelry (their pieces are so so so beautiful)
i didn't know that VP is as exclusive and seemingly elitist, and not reflective of france in general but it makes sense and it's sad.
it's fine that they bring their crew but i think it's worth giving local talents a chance

I wonder if these brands are represented in Vogue Mexico? Should be. Anyway, I agree they should have been spotlighted in this issue. At the very least it will mean that Isabel Marant would no longer need to dig too deep to steal ideas off Mexican artisans, she can do it right from the pages of her favourite magazine.

Understood, but when it comes to the talents that should really be on Vogue Mexico. Maybe instead of them giving Celia Azoulay so many covers, they can give Mexican stylists a chance? What Celia is doing isn't particularly special anyway.

dorian in photography,
kind of lost me here.. his 'photography' is a scam.. it's a great time for scammers in photography, but even in times like this, the lack of sincerity just smacks you in the eye. He's only featured in Vogue because of the Whitney and he was only at the Whitney because of another charlatan who was only there because the Whitney was so desperate to make a statement after the 2016 elections.

This reality vs. fiction confusion seems to be a recurrent thing and I really believe we have reality-show culture to thank for that, and the sub-categories of social media (like instagram and its staged reality and keyboard warrior activism). I've been thinking about this since I saw the amount of backlash (by the French) about Emily in Paris, or the shock at Amanda Gorman being translated to Dutch by a Dutch person who does not have a similar life experience (lol, didn't know I had to wait for WWIII, develop an alcohol problem and become obese in order to translate Hemingway.. :lol:). Now I see it here like 'should be Mexican talent because... they shot this in Mexico'.

Fiction is not insensitivity.. can it be diluted with tasteless marketing? of course, but fiction goes hand in hand with entertainment, which is what this is and what the consumer is willingly looking for. Just like Emily in Paris is not a documentary, fashion stories in fashion magazines are not meant to 'document' and inform you about the state of the fashion scene in each country and definitely have no responsibility in ~sharing their platform~ for charity and granting exposure to local talents. They paid (and hopefully didn't bargain) for the venue they rented for this story, just like Netflix or Columbia or whatever pays Vancouver studios for a story about 'a man and his dog in New York', filmed with their own crew and actors and no Canadian talent. That's all there is. Whether the stories are tacky (and they are) and a reminder that a magazine cultivating the ideal of a very basic French woman who is eternally stuck in being her own parody with her berets and breton shirts will naturally envision her traveling the same way and seeking the most odious clichés and 'dumb tourist' resorts, well.. that's another story and the result of an EIC who is this simple-minded in everything she touches, but the premise of this should perhaps be kept in mind at all times too: this is essentially a catalog, with an identified customer they must target and products they must sell. What was Vogue Paris advertising on the cover of that (amazing) Brazil special under Carine 15 years ago? not Colcci, it was Chanel. What did the models wear when they did that Berlin story some months ago? Louis Vuitton, Chanel, yes channeling Helmut Newton... as popularized by Yves Saint Laurent.

Maybe we should wonder more about the backlash other magazines receive when they are on this level of nationalism, and wonder too why some run from their local talent or only ever support it when it has received the stamp of approval by foreigners. :sideways:

I'm still waiting for Alt to brave enough to show her readers the "wild side" like Belleville or 14th arrondissement. :P
The funny thing is that considering how Real Estate prices have become out of control in Paris for the last few years and how the embourgeoisement has been prevalent all around the city, she can actually do some glamorous content there...

You used the perfect word @Benn98 . VP is a mainstream niche magazine. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

I grew up in an environment where fashion was present in my household. We only had Vogue when it was Haute Couture issues...

ELLE has much more of an important voice in France.

It was created after the war and it was meant for active women. The elitism of Vogue spoke to another type of women.

I think even Carine said that growing up, she did not read Vogue. That niche position of VP has allowed them to feature the very daring work of Bourdin and Newton for example. In the 80’s and 90’s, the magazine became more intellectual while maintaining his elitist approach...Whereas All the others 3 became international forces. Previous EIC wanted their magazine to be taken seriously.

Carine came from ELLE. She used her weaknesses to make it a strength. Her Vogue was maybe less culturally rich but she made it all about fashion and really fashion around styling (when Vogue Italia was really provocative in terms of photography and US was really about lifestyle). It’s not that different from the Carlyne approach (who comes from ELLE too). Suddenly we remembered the clothes too.

My problem with Emmanuelle has always been the narrow POV. The magazine is about fashion? Make it worth it! Add more POV.

I don’t have a problem with exclusivity. I think make everything mainstream turns to banality. There’s nothing that I hate more than banality. And it wouldn’t make sense culturally.

I campaign for more elitism but the idea of elitism can also evolve. That’s where the question of diversity comes to play but diversity in it literal sense.

There’s a new generation of talents. They needs to be featured in Vogue. They needs to have access to top photographers. Paris is a diverse city and you can show and project the idea of elitism in that vain.

The danger will be for VP to blindly follow the US and UK agendas that are motivated by social issues when those issues are hardly conversations here...

Understood, but when it comes to the talents that should really be on Vogue Mexico. Maybe instead of them giving Celia Azoulay so many covers, they can give Mexican stylists a chance? What Celia is doing isn't particularly special anyway.

I think what Felipe is referring is at least, if Vogue Paris is gonna do a “tribute” to México the right thing is to hire a local advisors team. And that’s apply in any case. I saw the issue online and is a little bit dissapointed. As I mentioned before, looks more like a cartoon than anything.

I guess in this forum had the conversation before, I remember the backlash when Vogue dressed Karlie Kloss as a Geisha just for say an example.

@Benn98 Please, Can you post the Editor’s letter and other contents that could lead us to think that this is a Mexico Special? Thanks!

@Benn98 Please, Can you post the Editor’s letter and other contents that could lead us to think that this is a Mexico Special? Thanks!

Sure, and on closer inspection, it seems most of the accessories in Nora's edit are from Mexican brands.

Alt's editor's letter:

Spotlight on Desserto, a Mexican supplier that manufactures and distributes vegan leather made from cactus (they're on everyone's lips at the moment! They've also partnered with H&M for an upcoming sustainable collection)

Front of book section:

Spotlight on Mexican photographers

Spotlight on Mexican beauty brands

Spotlight on Mexican artists, chefs, actors etc

Spotlight on Lea Marcaccini

Vogue Paris Digital Edition

Last edited:
Sure, and on closer inspection, it seems most of the accessories in Nora's edit are from Mexican brands.

Alt's editor's letter:

Spotlight on Desserto, a Mexican supplier that manufactures and distributes vegan leather made from cactus (they're on everyone's lips at the moment! They've also partnered with H&M for an upcoming sustainable collection)

Front of book section:

Spotlight on Mexican photographers

Spotlight on Mexican beauty brands

Spotlight on Mexican artists, chefs, actors etc

Spotlight on Lea Marcaccini

Vogue Paris Digital Edition
well, at least they did the research lol. i did see that mercedes salazar earrings were used throughtout but if im not wrong most of the accesories were from spanish or italian brands you all have made.

i dont know french so i know barely anything that the pages say.

i completely overlooked a lot of talented mexican female photographers which is a mistake on my part but i loved tania franco klein's tribute to grandmas in vogue mexicos may 2020 issue.

about replacing celia with other talented mexican stylists, couldn't agree more. maybe that is related with the fact that the stories she styled are shot in nyc like hailey bieber's or christie's covers. a few months ago vogue mexico hosted a pop up shop of latinamerican brands and they made a lengthy feature about it in their culture and travel section in feb 2021 (a friend was the model for the shoot:heart:)

i dont agree with what was said about dorian. i find his project of mexicanosmx interesting. we see things through different perspectives. i have to ask, what constitutes sincerity in an image to you? i'd like to know your insight on that. i don't know who you are but i am still young and not much of an expert on photography. i just go by feelings.

unrelated but, if you get the chance, buy a xinú perfume, they really are IT.

im glad that my first interaction on the forums created a discussion far beyond boring editorials or dull covers

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->