Vogue Paris December 2017/January 2018 : Rihanna

Seeing those covers again, i must say that the biggest letdown of it is the fact that she hasn't received the VP treatment. From Sofia Coppola to Ines, from the Beckhams to Paradis, every celeb on the cover of VP were the ultra-glamorized version of themselves. Even Charlotte Gainsbourg was the vamp, seductive woman she doesn' t seems to be when you first think of her.

This feels very "branded". Rihanna just look like Rihanna and in a way, she is using her power and influence to make sure it is "Rihanna" enough. She has her own personal stylist styling her on the cover of VP!

I wonder how much of it was personal decision of Alt or something suggested by LVMH/Dior. I know Alt is very close to Dior's PR and a lot of people at Dior so...
I'm sure it was a part of the deal to make it "guest-edited" because they know she doesn't have any loyalty when it comes to business (except when it is for Anna W).

I mean, she is wearing Pucci and Dior (LVMH) and i'm sure Fenty Beauty (done in collab with Sephora which is owned by LVMH) is also part of the deal. It's fair game as Chanel had last year December issue.

I just wish she looked like the usual VP woman, not just Rihanna playing the fashionista game...

I mean, i wanted to see her with windy hair, a long gown in Monaco or even jeans in a salon of an Hotel Particulier:lol:

Like someone about said... these covers look like a minor Vogue edition. Also, Rihanna needs to take a break between albums. SheÂ’s exhausting.

It's been almost two years since her last album. I think people forget that outside of music, fashion is Rihanna's biggest outlet. Puma, Dior, Fenty Makeup..... since she's so big in France, i'm shocked Alt hasn't put her on the cover sooner.

It's been almost two years since her last album. I think people forget that outside of music, fashion is Rihanna's biggest outlet. Puma, Dior, Fenty Makeup..... since she's so big in France, i'm shocked Alt hasn't put her on the cover sooner.

She is big in France but French Vogue is a different magazine. It only speak to a small range of fashion people. Yes, she is loved in the parisian fashion scene but part of being on the cover of VP is to have a relationship with Emmanuelle. It's not like a business deal like at UK Vogue because celebrity culture is not that important here.

She did Elle which has a wider audience.
This will bring a wider audience to VP...An audience that doesn't necessarly read/care for the magazine.

And yes, I find Rihanna's masterful hoodwinking very interesting. People are so blinded by her cool factor that they don't see she's really all about the money, much more than her peers. Luckily I got her number ages ago. I mean I suppose when you're not musically strong, you need to compensate it with something else.

Jesus Christ, is she cool? It’s at times like this i feel really old, in my neck of the woods you would lose your reputation if you listened to whatever was the equivalent of Rihanna at the time . No one worth knowing at school would listen to the type of **** she makes. I was brainwashed to have a natural aversion to the Rihannas of this world.

I was not expecting to see Rihanna on the Dec/Jan cover so I'm disappointed. Not excited by it all. Where's the year-end festive vibe? I see none.
I like the color scheme on the Juergen Teller cover but she looks like she just woke up and the cover just doesn't scream Vogue Paris. The I&V one is too pretty for my taste, nothing special. I like the Jean-Paul Goude one a lot better, nicer and more interesting but that's about it.

I like the I&V cover, but I’m so tired of her already.

Gotta love all the bitter, Rihanna-haters on here. Haha. Woman is slaying the game once again, I mean it's pretty damn amazing how she keeps getting cover after cover. She has more Vogue covers compared to most high-fashion models.

And ofcourse, you do not have to like her or her music, but saying 'she is only doing it for the money' is a pretty stupid comment to make. You ever heard about all her charity work and her foundation? She is one of the hardest working women in the business, came from nowhere and has become one of the most successfull women in music and fashion. She is a smart businesswomen and have a lot of respect for her.

[Piece Of Me];14035153 said:
Gotta love all the bitter, Rihanna-haters on here. Haha. Woman is slaying the game once again, I mean it's pretty damn amazing how she keeps getting cover after cover. She has more Vogue covers compared to most high-fashion models.

And ofcourse, you do not have to like her or her music, but saying 'she is only doing it for the money' is a pretty stupid comment to make. You ever heard about all her charity work and her foundation? She is one of the hardest working women in the business, came from nowhere and has become one of the most successfull women in music and fashion. She is a smart businesswomen and have a lot of respect for her.

I'm sorry but you have a typical fan reaction. Nobody is judging or diminishing her accomplishments or her success. We are judging a cover, simple as that. We are not going to stop judging someone on the cover of a magazine just for the fear of being labelled as a hater. No it's not about hate.

I love Rihanna, i'm happy for her but this cover is a business move. She is a businesswoman and she is doing business. The bad thing about it is that it's so obvious. It's Christmas season, she has make-up to sell and luckily (thanks to her business-savy mind), she is attached to the biggest conglomerate of the industry.

And on the low, she will help VP selling more issues because this year wasn't that great.

Should we be happy that a celebrity (no matter how much we love her) gets more cover than a model? I'm not sure.
I would love for a black model to have that much opportunity...

Do we still have the right to criticize the overexposure of someone without being labelled as a hater?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but you have a typical fan reaction. Nobody is judging or diminishing her accomplishments or her success. We are judging a cover, simple as that. We are not going to stop judging someone on the cover of a magazine just for the fear of being labelled as a hater. No it's not about hate.

I love Rihanna, i'm happy for her but this cover is a business move. She is a businesswoman and she is doing business. The bad thing about it is that it's so obvious. It's Christmas season, she has make-up to sell and luckily (thanks to her business-savy mind), she is attached to the biggest conglomerate of the industry.

And on the low, she will help VP selling more issues because this year wasn't that great.

Should we be happy that a celebrity (no matter how much we love her) gets more cover than a model? I'm not sure.
I would love for a black model to have that much opportunity...

Do we still have the right to criticize the overexposure of someone without being labelled as a hater?

Nope and I was most definitely not talking about your, or some others, constructive comments. I was refering to some of the other comments like 'she only does it for the money' or 'the have a natural aeversion to people like Rihanna'.

You can certainly say you don't like a cover, most definitely. And nobody should like everything someone does, I mean I love Rihanna but will be the first one to say if I don't like something from her. Be it music, a cover or something else (and believe me, I have done it loads). It's just sad to see some people dissing a successfull women without any reason. Like I said, you don't have to like her, ofcourse not. But everyone can see how well she is doing. I don't like Taylor Swift, at all, but will always say how incredibly well she is doing for herself.

And yes, I would love to see more black models, or women, in general getting this kind of exposure. But I do think Rihanna is an incredible model herself and photographs a lot better than most of the 16 year old girls we see on covers these days. And it is amazing to see a woman, a black woman, in this case get so much exposure and opportunities. Sadly, it is still rare.

If I don't want to purchase a magazine on sale in a store because I don't find it appealing, that's a consumer decision rather than a personal insult.

Jesus Christ, is she cool? It’s at times like this i feel really old, in my neck of the woods you would lose your reputation if you listened to whatever was the equivalent of Rihanna at the time . No one worth knowing at school would listen to the type of **** she makes. I was brainwashed to have a natural aversion to the Rihannas of this world.

Yes, she's definitively viewed by pretty much the entire general public (at least here in North America) as not just cool, but the coolest.

people, magazines are business and if Rihanna helps VP to sell more copies of course they are gonna do an alliance with her....
i get that we love and respect fashion and magazines but reality its that everything has changed, specially now that magazines are trying to survive.
Let's thank VP is not doing this kind of alliances more often like others edition of Vogue.

Regarding the covers, her image was so overused that im not amuse by that covers,but i guess the jean Paul Goude is cute...

Yes, she's definitively viewed by pretty much the entire general public (at least here in North America) as not just cool, but the coolest.

A very bold statement you're making there. Maybe 'the entire North American general public' should save their dollars and actually go out and buy her much rumoured US Vogue cover, because they certainly didn't the last time she got it. Likes and shares won't keep magazines alive.

people, magazines are business and if Rihanna helps VP to sell more copies of course they are gonna do an alliance with her....
i get that we love and respect fashion and magazines but reality its that everything has changed, specially now that magazines are trying to survive.
Let's thank VP is not doing this kind of alliances more often like others edition of Vogue.

Regarding the covers, her image was so overused that im not amuse by that covers,but i guess the jean Paul Goude is cute...

No one is really complaining about her on the cover. It’s the quality of them. A beautiful cover would also help sell a magazine but who knows maybe that’s just me.

No one is really complaining about her on the cover. It’s the quality of them. A beautiful cover would also help sell a magazine but who knows maybe that’s just me.

well, i read some comments about it...."her again?" "why not a model",etc....that was my comment referring to.

Of course a beautiful cover helps to sell magazines too but maybe not much as with her.

i'm not defending VP's choice, i would prefer a model over a celebrity anytime....

A very bold statement you're making there. Maybe 'the entire North American general public' should save their dollars and actually go out and buy her much rumoured US Vogue cover, because they certainly didn't the last time she got it. Likes and shares won't keep magazines alive.
Also let's not forget that even when she was on the "sure to sell" issue like the March one, it turned out to be the worst selling Power issue in US Vogue's last 15 years! :shock: And her first two covers were also worst, or second worst sellers of the year. So some members in this forum trying to present her as this ultimate force at the newsstands is just false!

Her fame gives her a pass at horrible results with magazine sales, because Wintour.etc obviously still get global PR over having her on the cover. That said, i like her, i think she is smart, beautiful, has fun with fashion, and is good at what she does, fashion or music. I will buy this issue gladly, but i do think she and her team are overdoing it, and at one point the tide might turn against her, and she will have no one else to blame. The "she will always be susccessful, and famous" argument is astounding to me, and such a fan fantasy!

Yikes!

Besides the fact i think she’s a pretty woman, hate her music, hate her style and couldn’t care a jot about what she has to say, so unless Alt provided a stunning cover on a purely visual level, i will never spend a cent on her brand. They could put her 20 times on the cover, it wouldn’t bother me, she’s harmless enough, it would just be 20 times i would not buy a magazine. I find it funny that a lot of people presume that absolutely everyone measures success by popularity and money, and are really surprised when they find out that for some people they are not indicators of any particular talent. I can clearly see that Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Katy Perry etc etc, are rich and have a wide audience, and...?

Also let's not forget that even when she was on the "sure to sell" issue like the March one, it turned out to be the worst selling Power issue in US Vogue's last 15 years! :shock: And her first two covers were also worst, or second worst sellers of the year. So some members in this forum trying to present her as this ultimate force at the newsstands is just false!

Her fame gives her a pass at horrible results with magazine sales, because Wintour.etc obviously still get global PR over having her on the cover. That said, i like her, i think she is smart, beautiful, has fun with fashion, and is good at what she does, fashion or music. I will buy this issue gladly, but i do think she and her team are overdoing it, and at one point the tide might turn against her, and she will have no one else to blame. The "she will always be susccessful, and famous" argument is astounding to me, and such a fan fantasy!

What’s astounding is that you believe it’s a “fan fantasy.” She’s a vet, she’s done this for 12 years now. She didn’t just have a few hot songs with The Chainsmokers and disappear lol

Haters are really trying to get me kicked off this forum, keep talkin ish on God

Wow... I did not know Rihanna was so polarized. I cant with the snobs comments... :lol:

Nice choice of subject, not that great outcome. I´ll wait for the content to judge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yaseminnnn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->