Vogue UK March 2008 : Kate Moss by Craig McDean

^And I believe that the january issue also had more, at least in eds.

Leaving aside those figures, I can see they think Kate Moss sells, but that's still one boring cover, because I feel like I've seen it before, six times over.

And why send a team all the way to the Andes to produce the main editorial - the most vibrant part of the entire issue - and not use that to create an interesting cover. Daria & Lily D are both classically beautiful girls with universal appeal, they could have make a knock-out cover. When I think that a few years ago, UK Vogue were daring to put Gemma and Lily Cole on important covers, long before they were accepted as being mainstream models, what happened to that desire to go forward with something new?

Also, I'd have liked to have seen that Andes edit expanded to say more - more glimpses of the colour, the flavour, the texture of somewhere so foreign to most of us. A sense of incredible fashion in an incredible place, rather than two supermodel tourists. Perhaps even a supplementary article about the making of the editorial would have been another aspect - we do get a 1 pg overview of Peru earlier in the issue, but that's basically a bunch of footnotes.

The Kate edit - personally I cannot take any more of her, despite how good she is at her job, because of overexposure, and cutting herself a fringe doesn't change things enough to bring back my interest.

Malgosia's lovely edit could have been a brilliant 'quiet moment' between different editorials, but standing alone as it does, as one of only three edits, it's not strong enough to make you think you're looking at something amazing and special - which is what you expect of a March issue. You expect more, both in content and sheer amazement.

The articles I did enjoy, but saying that, I can read articles online, words on a screen. What the paper format of a magazine uniquely provides is luscious fashion on the printed page, and February's issue gave us more content. Yes, there are a lot of ads, but you can get those out of any March issue - I'd already got mine from March UK Elle, HB and Tatler, so there's nothing special to be had, even on that front.

As an ordinary issue, this would be nice. As a March issue - what the hell happened? No wonder they have to boast about their page count - they can hardly trumpet the amount of content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's talk maths. This March issue appears to have FEWER editorial pages than the February issue. I sat last night and counted pages:

Feb issue edit pgs: 46
Spring Forward: 16
Light and Fantastic: 16
Anarchy in the UK: 14

March issue edit pgs: 44
Trail Blazers: 18
Heavenly Creature: 14
Soft Touch: 12
Hahah i love that you did that,and how wrong is that?They hype it as one of the biggest issues done by UK Vogue and thats the final product?

This issue left me cold,aside from Kate Moss(hey i know she is everywhere,but i dont read tabloids or watch entertainment shows,so i am not exposed to it all)and few good articles,but this was just not good enough to be called March issue!

i love moss as a model but it seems they are using her not for her modeling skills but for her hype...therefore i found the moss bit and the cover quite uninspired and dull

^ i agree, i count a kate moss cover as a 'celebrity' cover. that said i think she looks great on this months cover, way better than some others of her more recent uk vogue efforts.

wow,craig mcdean did one awesome job. anyone know how to create those light rays (k.moss ed)? and don't you come up w/ photoshop :lol:

I just bought it and it seems ok. The cover isn't anything special.
They didn't charge me extra lol

Going through issues of UK Vogue from ten years ago, there's a world of difference between the magazine then and now, both in terms of range of content, but also in how committed it was to being exciting - in those days, we got covers with Kate Moss cheekily almost-nude and cracking a huge grin, but in 2008 we get Kate looking comatose behind a fringe.

Going through issues of UK Vogue from ten years ago, there's a world of difference between the magazine then and now, both in terms of range of content, but also in how committed it was to being exciting - in those days, we got covers with Kate Moss cheekily almost-nude and cracking a huge grin, but in 2008 we get Kate looking comatose behind a fringe.

lol - and yet that was the time of h****n chic.

I just saw this at Borders today and flipped through it. True, there are a lot of ads but I loved the Lily and Daria ed so much after viewing on here that I'm going back tomorrow to get it :smile:

A postscript to this issue - today I got a letter from Conde Nast, telling me that this issue "completely sold out".

The background to this is that I subscribed well before the March issue was due to come out, and received a letter telling me that my subscription would commence with that issue, but the month came and went and no magazine appeared. I was always meaning to get round to calling them up to complain, but it seems they were on the case regardless. Blah, blah, blah.

I've never heard of an issue selling out before, and I am a little sceptical, seeing as there are always a few issues kicking around the newsstand at the very end of each month's "cycle". But it seems this issue has been immensely popular, regardless of how we might feel about Kate becoming boring.

Though it does also suggest that subscribers come a low second to every other means of distributing the magazine. Good job I bought an issue anyway.

^^That is awful,that you didnt get it!There is no excuse for that, and as for the issue being sold out i dont have hard time beliving that since Kate always sells (a fact)and thats why they use her so many times.

At least I got Victoria's UK Vogue cover on time, that was the one I was really waiting for - and they adjusted it so that I get an extra month at the end, so a happy ending for everyone.

Now I just have to get on to them about the Lily Allen issue of UK Glamour that never arrived...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->