What Magazines Have You Bought/Received Recently?

Originally posted by Spacemiu+Apr 19th, 2004 - 3:19 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Apr 19th, 2004 - 3:19 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-chickonspeed@Apr 18th, 2004 - 9:19 pm

The spring issue of selfservice was a little boring to me. Scott, space, anyone else...what did you think?

And I agree that the spring issue of Another is very good. Except for the cover. Kate Moss really needs a break right now.
I ahvent seen self service yet.

I'ms o sick of kate moss, althought ed in another was pritty cool, i don't care if she is a sledged or whatever she is not that great

Crash is very cool :heart:

I-D is always good to i think [/b][/quote]
The Gaultier coat Kate is wearing in the i-D editorial is SEXYNESS...

us vogue and glamour subscribed.Us vogue usually has interesting stuff to read and some fashion whereas other vogues have only fashion and very little more so you only get to look thru once. Glamour is mainly meant for females but can be quirky at times

Originally posted by Scott@Apr 19th, 2004 - 4:05 pm
I haven't seen it yet,Chicks*? Is it even worth buying? Seeing it beforehand is the only problem with ordering off the web...and they haven't updated their site in ages.
It's just ok. I flipped through it at work and didn't like it enough to actually buy it myself on the newsstand. The cover is a blurred image of Isabeli with bronze foil text.

Inside, there is a HUGE segment of those polaroids they did in the fall issue. You know, Parisian hotshots or whatever. I enjoyed it last time because the people were actually interesting. But this time around the section is twice as long and much less entertaining!

There is an pretty good editorial with Hannelore and a great one with Madeleine Blomberg styled by Suzanne Koller. But the rest doesn't stick out enough for me to remember it.

If I were you, I'd definitely check it out before purchasing it.

Actually I bought Another Magazine though it has been some time it came out. Well, since it's biannual I don't rush out to get. But I must admit I love this magazine. It's a piece of art and there're so many interesting articles as well. My favourite magazine for sure ...

Forgot ... I bought DANSK too. Biannual as well. Very interesting magazine, I will strongly recommend it to all of you ..

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Apr 18th, 2004 - 2:19 pm
Another mag this season is amaizng
Another Magazine is always fantastic. I'm a huge Jefferson fan. :blush:
This picture is great.

Attachments

• kate_moss_hollywood.jpg
    kate_moss_hollywood.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 67
Lately I have bought:
Vogue Australia May - This mag's not too cutting-edge :lol: but I'm in a bit of a habit of buying it. There's been a few good Gemma eds lately too. This month's has a fairly good hair special but was somewhat lacking in the fashion department.
Cover features Australian model Annika from Chic Model Management.
cover.jpg

Yen (Australian publication) - I really like this magazine. The articles are interesting and informing and the art features are great. The editor (Jess) is fantastic too.
Cover - model wears sass and bide dress:
covers78.jpg

Another Magazine with Kate - stand-out yet again. Tilda Swinton, Samantha Morton and Liv Tyler talk about the performances that inspire them. Editorials featuring Kate, Karon Elson, Maria Carla, Lily Cole, Jessica Miller, Marija, Polina, zuzanna, natasa V and Hana plus a suprisingly touching story about Ethiopia's running culture. Centerfold by Viktor and Rolf. A Terry Richarson ed (need I say more, they are always typically Terry). Another Document features ZZ Packer among others.
Cover - Kate photographed by Craig McDean wearing Dolce and Gabanna.
covers77.jpg

I've also bought the Cate Blanchet issue of UK Vogue. The Daria ed well and truly won me over.
The April edition of Harper's Bazaar Australia and the Galliano/Gisele issue of The Face. :smile:
Am I the only one who thinks V magazine is great? :unsure: I think it's the large size that makes me love it. B)

Where do you guys find all these magazines? :o I've never seen like half of them before. Other than maybe Indigo I really don't know where to go...

Don't flip when I say UK Vogue is the fashion Bible--that's just my opinion. I am sure to many others, the "fashion insiders" especially, Vogue Italia still holds more weight. But I can't take US Vogue that seriously now that it has become a showcase/promotion platform for overexposed and over-stylized actresses. While I am not always a fan, I like how Vogue Italia features actresses--the setting is serene, the photographer is dignified, and the stars look like they are telling a story through the photographer's lens and not just posing for a catalog (albiet in the fanciest clothes). But I do give US Vogue credit for being the most informative--it is often the first to feature up-and-coming designers and even new brands of designer jeans. It is a trend-setter in that way. But the writing is often awful. {{shrug}} It's more a personal piece/writer's critique than a honest presentation of the designer's voice. I don't necessarily consider that good journalism.

Then there was a period when the editorials were very boring. Too much Steven Klein, too much Carmen Kass (who's only good when Testino shoots her), too much Carolyn Murphy, too much Karolina Kurkova, and 2003's Natalia Vodianova-Liya Kebede monopoly was awful too. I don't consider the stylists US Vogue uses strong at all.

w_main.jpg

The May issue of W (cv: Uma Thurman) is fairly dismal aside from the Kate Moss/Mario Sorrenti editorial. That was fantastic! Kate is made to be a lost visitor in, well, Africa? There is a lot of anger in her expression. Steven Klein shoots Naomi Campbell in another editorial, but that was instantly forgettable.

Originally posted by keepsmiling@Apr 20th, 2004 - 2:07 am
Am I the only one who thinks V magazine is great? :unsure: I think it's the large size that makes me love it. B)
I don't think anyone here hates V, keepsmiling. I think most people here, like myself, have been longtime readers (since it's inception in '99) and feel that in the past year, the publication's quality has gone downhill. I think 2003 was just a bad year for them and that they are on the rebound with what I've seen recently. Apparently the May/June issue is a double cover with Missy Elliott and Laila Ali! :heart: Very exciting!

And yes, its size is truly what makes it unique. It's big and it's glossy and it packs a punch. That's why, even when it's lacking, the images still really strike you. Despite it all, V is still one of my favorite fashion publications and I hope that things do change soon for the better.

Originally posted by chickonspeed+Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:22 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:22 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-keepsmiling@Apr 20th, 2004 - 2:07 am
I don't think anyone here hates V, keepsmiling. I think most people here, like myself, have been longtime readers (since it's inception in '99) and feel that in the past year, the publication's quality has gone downhill. I think 2003 was just a bad year for them and that they are on the rebound with what I've seen recently. Apparently the May/June issue is a double cover with Missy Elliott and Laila Ali! :heart: Very exciting!

And yes, its size is truly what makes it unique. It's big and it's glossy and it packs a punch. That's why, even when it's lacking, the images still really strike you. Despite it all, V is still one of my favorite fashion publications and I hope that things do change soon for the better. [/b][/quote]
Exactly.

Although I can't say that it's my favorite anymore. I think Stephen Gan is becoming very annoying with his little Testino>Tabitha>Hedi clique. I still flip through it once in a while - just because it's still way better than most american publications.

Is V-man any good?

Originally posted by faust@Apr 21st, 2004 - 12:24 pm
Although I can't say that it's my favorite anymore. I think Stephen Gan is becoming very annoying with his little Testino>Tabitha>Hedi clique. I still flip through it once in a while - just because it's still way better than most american publications.

Is V-man any good?
I understand Stephen/Alix working with Tabitha and Testino again and again. It's hard in this business to find people that absolutely share your vision and they have clearly found theirs in that little clique. My issue is that the designers featured in V are the same month after month. What I always loved about V in the past is that you'd see Chanel, Margiela, Vuitton, and Junya ALL ON ONE LOOK! It really mixed things up nicely but lately they do a lot of total looks from the usual suspects--Gucci, Prada, Dior, Dolce, etc. I'd liked to see more up-and-comers featured in their pages alongside the typical big names.

VMan is very good. The first issue was rather lackluster but the new one with Gael Garcia Bernal on the cover is very well done. Save for the gratuitous coverage of Hedi and Karl but I guess that comes with the territory when you're dealing with Visionaire.

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Apr 18th, 2004 - 11:19 pm
Uk Vogue is the bible? Are these people absolutely blind or are they merely taking bribes? Uk Vogue has been horrible as of late! And the new Scarlett Johanssen issue is even worse!

As much as people hate to admit it, American Vogue is the bible. Whether you like it or not, Anna's Vogue is the only one that truly matters. French and Italian Vogues are ok as of late, but none have the power of their American sister.

V has been steadily getting better after being soooo bad for a long time. The new Janet issue is pretty solid as far as editorial content. i-D is also insanely strong so far this year. Seems like they can't do anything wrong!

The spring issue of selfservice was a little boring to me. Scott, space, anyone else...what did you think?

And I agree that the spring issue of Another is very good. Except for the cover. Kate Moss really needs a break right now. Though I love her Africa editorial in the May Uma issue of W.
i loved your post...agree about american vogue... :flower:

Originally posted by seditionary@Apr 21st, 2004 - 12:28 pm
the FACE (the last ever one btw....)
Is the last one ever the Gisele/Galliano one?
It's so sad to see it go... :cry:

May

Vogue: Nicole Kidman on the cover

vogue0504nicolekidman.jpg

Photographed by Irving Penn, couture dress by Christian Lacrioux. It's been years since their work appears on the cover of US Vogue, but the cover girl herself was featured last September. This has got to be the shortest time for US Vogue to use the same actress on its cover. But Nicole is so lovable. :flower:

Enjoyable read, but the editorials are disappointing:

*Steven Meisel shoots Isabeli Fontana, Daria Werbowy, Karen Elson, Hana S., Lily Cole, and Guniveere in "City of Angels." I like the selection of wardrobe (office chic) very much, but the models themselves look pretty awful (air-brushed + fake tan) except for Isabeli. Daria needs a rest asap.

*Nicole Kidman's couture ed with Irving Penn isn't as great as the cover.

*Raymond Meier shoots Julia Stegner in an accessories ed. I have never seen her look better. My favorite in this issue. :rolleyes:

*Annie Leibowitz shoots Gisele Bundchen, Karen Elson, Gemma Ward, and many others in a group story. Blah.

Bazaar: Courtney Cox on the cover

It's started to introduce a bit of fall fashion with a nice selection of runway pictures. The editorials:

*Patrick Demarchelier's couture ed w/ Gemma Ward is whimsical and has won raves but despite the creativity I don't like it very much. Or maybe I just don't like Gemma.

*Tom Schnek's ed with Eugenia Volodina is chic and excellent. It looks more polished than his work for UK Vogue, but maybe that has to do with adjusted lighting and air-brushing.

*Laurie Bartley's group shoot of Elise Crombez, Karen Elson, and Hannelore and Eva Herzigova is anything but spectacular. We saw exactly the same lighting/shadow work in the March issue.

*Lindbergh shoots Charlotte Gainsbourg and Charlotte Rampling in a trench spread. Dull.

Allure: The Olson [sp] twins on the cover, awful. Michelle Bosworth wins the fashion spread, while Lilliane S. and Tiiu appear in the beauty spread. Consistently sucky. The saving grace is a 2-pg style watch on Charlize Theron.

ukelle0504kylieminogue.jpg

UK May Elle cover goes to Kylie.

I am liking the 'improvements' in UK's magazines. Harper & Queen now has a lot more substance than before, and UK Elle is much better than US Elle. But I still wish they'd do something about their cover design (and cover choices).

UK Glamour and Tater are still pretty boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alksdnfskfgikwjfne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->