What to wear to a premiere when you're not famous?

Glittery_Bug

Reaction score
I've been invited to the gala premiere of 'Bright Star' in London, but as I've never been to something like this, I'm not sure what counts as appropriate wear. The dress code on the invitation simply says 'smart', but I'm not sure what would be too much - obviously it would be quite gauche for a civilian (such as myself) to turn up in a full-on Oscars dress (which I have no intention of doing, I hasten to add). But really, I was wondering what 'smart' exactly entails for this? As it's quite an elegant and serious period drama perhaps full length wouldn't be out of the question? On the other hand I am only twenty so it might look a little silly to be too OTT.

Please help, I'm absolutely clueless in this area and it's only four days away!

Try going with a cocktail dress with some nice accessories.

You will be dressed up enough but not over-the-top.

Wear something over the top so the press will want to know who you are!
(Hey, worked for Lady Gaga :lol:)

^I agree completely.

But in all seriousness, go ahead and have fun with it. It is a premiere after all, and us civilians aren't often invited.

Oh, how exciting!! I've been looking forward to this movie!!

I would wear what you want to wear ... it's not like you're going to be panned for your choice--the great part about not being famous :D But a cocktail dress or separates seems like a good choice because you'll have plenty of opportunities to wear it again.

If it were me, I might consider it a God-given opportunity to buy that Lanvin black silk satin pencil skirt that the SA assured me was an incredibly practical item to have in my wardrobe :lol:

I agree, a cocktail dress, but include nice accessories to make yourself stand out more than just a "civilian"! :P Have fun at the premiere!

Ah thank you so much everyone! I was thinking of a 1930s evening dress in either silk or chiffon - providing my local vintage shop, which is usually pretty good - has something like this. From the sounds of things this might not be too much?

So glad you all think it will be OK to wear something really special as you're right - it's not like it's something you (or at least I) normally get to go to every day!

an LBD works for any occasion :smile:

PLUS understatement is better than overstatement, yet is still a statement.

:D

Ah thank you so much everyone! I was thinking of a 1930s evening dress in either silk or chiffon - providing my local vintage shop, which is usually pretty good - has something like this. From the sounds of things this might not be too much?

So glad you all think it will be OK to wear something really special as you're right - it's not like it's something you (or at least I) normally get to go to every day!

Sounds good to me ... I think you should please yourself!

In the end I even got papped! But I assume they deleted it as I'm, well, NOT FAMOUS.

I would go for a black outfit! Discreet and always elegant... maybe a middle dress long.

That's funny that you got papped...and pretty cool. To answer the question I would say something simple that is a general expression of who you are without being extremely outlandish.

I just realized that's a pretty darn vague answer, but it's all I've got right now. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->