What to wear when you're a student

Reaction score
I just love this dress!

vansm.jpg

I like wearing dresses to school, do you think I could wear this one as well?

I don't this type of dress is appropriate for school, with the open chest, and A-line hem in the front, I almost see this as a party or dinner dress, would be cute for valentine's day....

i dont think shcool wd be appropriate.
heres my version of the 50 s which can go from church to cocktail to dinner to awards show. :wink:

Attachments

• cissy_yello_cpgn.jpg
    cissy_yello_cpgn.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 17
Way too sexy for school, though you might be able to pull it off for prom.

I think that is an adorable dress, but I can't imagine where one would wear it. It simply screams, "Rip this dress of my body and take me now!"

If I were still in school, I would definitely wear a vintage shirtwaister to school. I do wear vintage shirt-waist dresses to my day job on occasion, and while I may have to endure Lucy Ricardo and June Cleaver wisecracks from my co-workers, it is not an inappropriate look for daywear. A 1950s suit would be cute for school, too, especially one of the ones with a boxy little waist-length jacket with 3/4 sleeves and a very full, wide, pleated skirt (with a petticoat under, naturally!)

hollyslookingdry,

That dress seems a bit to "racy" for school, but its an awesome dress to wear out with your boyfriend for an anniversay dinner or something of that sort. Who designs that? Its seriously nice, I love the black with red buttons and the little opening in the chest area!

I think this would be a nice dress for a night out on the town!

hi, yeh i like the dress wear it if u like it. i design my own clothes and have a designed a cute fifites dress, its only a design still but wat do u think of the colour? please tell me, thanx
soph

Attachments

• gdress.psf
    52.8 KB · Views: 25
Originally posted by As You Like It@Jan 30th, 2004 - 5:58 am
I think that is an adorable dress, but I can't imagine where one would wear it. It simply screams, "Rip this dress of my body and take me now!"
:lol:
Being the person that I am, I also wear vintage dresses to school when the mood hits me, but I agree that this dress is a trifle too.... :innocent:
Perhaps something along these lines would be more appropriate for a school day... :flower:

Attachments

• yellowdress.jpg
    yellowdress.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 10
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm really surprised by all of the racy comments...the girlies at my school wear much worse on a regular basis that is almost bordering p*rn star (when actually our principal gave a talk on CNN a few years back about the importance of a strict dress code :P ) I meant more of whether it was too formal for school. Oh well. I think I will ask for this for my birthday.

As You Like It- I wasn't sure what you meant by shirtwaister but I did some googling and ebaying and figured it out. I actually bought two shirtwaister dresses recently it turns out :smile: Fifties suit sounds like a good idea as well...

BabyJ- I'm pretty sure that this dress is by Stop Staring. You can find it at daddyos.com a great site for fifties rockabilly swing type stuff.

Alas...if only I had a boyfriend to take me out to dinner to wear this :( And prom... probably won't be invited to one for two years when its my junior year and I'm actually in the right grade to go.

if u dress it down it could work well in school...
opaque tights , flat shoes and a cardigan should do...

dunno bout you but i went to a catholic nuns school and these things werent allowed.... so if you are allowed, go for it :innocent:

I had midterms these past two days and I was tempted to go to school in my tracks but I made the extra effort of putting on jeans and a nice blouse. My question is what do you or people at your school wear during exam time?

Back in high school because we would have half days on exams days people would come to school with the pj's on. I dont think I have ever seen so much plaid fannel in my life than I did in grades 10-12.

During college, everyone would wear whatever all the time. *College grunge* but my school people tend to think is a fashion show. You have the brand new to college kids who wake up at 5:30am to have their hair and makeup done for their 9:00am class. Come to school with their heels on and their clubbing clothes.

Then at university, everyone was basically jeans and t-shirts/sweater type of people. No matter weather it be exam time or not.

You?

..this is not really related to your question..but its a funny story so I thought I'd share it.

A teacher I had way back told me of this oral exam where he, an examiner and a female student was present.
The female student was extremely nervous and during the examination she unconsciously and manically unbuttoned and rebuttoned her shirt several times. The teacher and examinator didn't want to ruin the examination by mentioning this and throwing her off track because academically what she was saying was very smart...but quess how she felt afterwards when being told...

I guess the lesson from that story is..don't wear a shirt to an oral examination if you're nervous and have weird ticks involving your clothes :lol:

I dress it down to be very comfortable.

The more comfortable you are during your tests.. the lest distractions you have.

if i'm too comfortable, like PJs and sweats, i fall asleep...i'm almost always jeans and a top kinda girl...sometimes i dont get up in time so i just dash out in yoga pants and a casual top or something. sometimes i feel if i'm TOO casual, ii'll get uncomfortable...

I go in my usual clothes...I can never wear Pjs to school...it doesnt feel comfy to me to be in sleepware in public.

Plus if I wake up and get ready..my mind is awake for the test...my mind takes a bit until its ready to process all that testing....I dont take forever and make myself all fab because its nothing special...but I make my self decent.

I don't dress down any more than usual for exams.

I wear jeans 75% of the time anyway, though. But never PJs. Not even when I lived in the dorms last year and could literally roll out of bed and cross the street to class. Though I did occasionally do sweats.

I'm sure I'd wear sweats sometimes if it weren't for the fact that I go straight from classes to work.

Originally posted by BabyJ@Oct 20 2004, 10:45 AM
I had midterms these past two days and I was tempted to go to school in my tracks but I made the extra effort of putting on jeans and a nice blouse. My question is what do you or people at your school wear during exam time?

Back in high school because we would have half days on exams days people would come to school with the pj's on. I dont think I have ever seen so much plaid fannel in my life than I did in grades 10-12.

During college, everyone would wear whatever all the time. *College grunge* but my school people tend to think is a fashion show. You have the brand new to college kids who wake up at 5:30am to have their hair and makeup done for their 9:00am class. Come to school with their heels on and their clubbing clothes.

Then at university, everyone was basically jeans and t-shirts/sweater type of people. No matter weather it be exam time or not.

You?
[snapback]402678[/snapback]​

I have this theory: Dress smart, feel smart, be smart. Simple, non? Although there are days I'm tempted to go in sweat pants and a shirt, I do my best to avoid it. [But I sure won't deny that there WERE instances where this has happened.] I usually go for a smart V-neck sweater [Argyle, if on hand], and a pair of black slacks, or chinos. Loafers if I feel European, Chuck Taylors if I'm feeling indie-rock. I mean, it's just as simple to throw this stuff on as it is a pair of sweats and a hoodie. At least you've made an effort to present yourself well, and evoke a sense of professionalism.

Now all you need to do is make sure you studied the night before.
I seem to ignore this fact 99% of the time.
Oh well, at least I'm sizzlin'.

:ninja:

I normally don't sleep at all when studying for finals or midterms, so if I don't have to present a board or something, which requires me to dress up, I just go on my pj pants and a sweatshirt.. normally I just wear my finals uniform which is a black Juicy tracksuit, and im good to go B)

Oh, and big glasses to cover up everything :glare: :lol:

I alwayswore a big, comfy sweater and jeans during winter exams, and tee-shirt and jeans during spring exams. Back when I was in high-school and college, I didn't own any pants that weren't jeans. Now, I hardly own any jeans!

I usually wear light gray pants with pressed folds/lines (how do you call them?) light colored button up shirt (and a jacket). Or some decent looking skirt.

I would NEVER EVER go to school in PJs!!!!! :shock: It's not done here. You Americans are crazy!! :lol:

Here it's NORMAL to dress up for exams etc. I don't know about uni yet though, my first exams are yet to come :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apriloneil1987
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->