Which models are the best posers?

Mariann, yes by Frida I mean Frida G.

And yes, I think it's good for models to try and improve their poses and expressions throughout their career.

I grew up with the 90s supers and the 00' supers. Helmut Newton, Richard Avedon and Irving Penn were still alive. So yes, I guess you could say that I've followed models, fashion and photography very closely. Many of the top models today perform poorly compared to previous eras of top models. Less muses, less inspired, less creative girls.

This is definitely something people in the industry notice. It's also something that artists/people who study art would notice. You may see things on the internet of people saying so and so isn't pretty so they shouldn't be a model and "Frida is so pretty. She's the best model." Well, modeling isn't about being pretty. It's about creating a great picture. A picture is worth a thousand words and those thousands of words is what sells. It's not the model's prettiness and there were actually studies with focus groups that prove this. The average person can tell if a model has a blank expression versus an inspired expression but it's subconscious. You're able to tell when you're talking to someone who is not interested in you versus someone who is, right?

I think the ability to have a huge range of posing, emotion, movement, expression goes a long way in a model's career. Those are the girls who become legendary, iconic...photographers' favorites (Kate Moss, Sasha, Lara). If a model can't transform and draw a new character, a new woman, people get sick of her (and maybe that is why there is such a high turnover rate today).

I'd say modeling is like any other form of art and expression. Think of Picasso, you can give him any medium and he did something interesting and new with it. If you look at his span of work, it's all different and always changing. It's the same with modeling and acting!

Last edited by a moderator:
some of them are:
Sasha
Iselin
Malgosia
Coco
Valerija Kelava
Iris Strubegger
Saskia
Guinevere van de seenus
Raquel
Natasa Vojnovic

I've really warmed up to Daria Strokous. I've noticed she's a very cinematic model (it helps that she's an actress on the side).
Needless to say I saw the Secret Garden Dior video the other day (so 2000 & late, I know) and I was in awe. Major goosebumps at 2:30.

Sasha and Coco - Definitely the queens of HF posing! I'm so torn between these two. I enjoy just by watching them do their poses for a certain ed or cover. (I think I saw a couple of videos posted here in TFS.)

Karen Elson and Gisele. They are expressive without going overboard, as well as versatile. Yes Gisele is versatile, can do the full-on laugh, the coy smile, and the blank stare.

^^ Yes, Gisele can do the high fashion full on laugh and the commercial full on laugh. She can look super "where the heck is she from" exotic to corn fed fresh face "girl next door." She has so many nuances up her sleeve.

Daria Strokus? :ninja: :lol: yes i will call you biased.
Let's face it, almost everyone here is biased at least to some extent. Most people post their favorites. Nothing wrong with that, usually they become our favorites because we love what they do, right? I think Daria Strokous is a very elegant poser and walker, I love it a lot.

I care much less about a model's posing skills than I do about how good she's with facial expressions. Most of my favorites aren't extraordinary posers. My favorite Kel Markey pretty much doesn't pose at all, she just stands there and looks stiff :lol: And yet she still manages to transport the message of the editorials she's in and adds something special to every image and I think that's what is important.

Karlie Kloss is a great poser, I'm always impressed by how much control she seems to have over every inch of her body. She's very dynamic. Olga Sherer is another model who's just so elegant that I always notice her poses in editorials and her walk on the runway, too. I always thought Karolina Kurkova was a great poser. I also agree about Sasha, Raquel, Guinevere, Kristen, etc.

Mariacarla Boscono
Kristen Mcmenamy
Iselin Steiro
Natasha Poly

Mariacarla Boscono
Natasha Poly
Freja Beha Erichsen
Kate Moss
Jessica Stam
Coco Rocha
Eniko Mihalik
Anna Selezneva
Marina Perez
Malgosia Bela
Erin Wasson
Magdalena Frackowiack
Chanel Iman
Julia Stegner
Hanne Gaby Odiele
Kinga Razjak
Liya Kebede

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge fan of Natasha. Her poses are so amazing and faultless. It's just that I always relate her to sexy most of the time. Hehe!

Arizona on the other hand has excellent head shots (Her VP cover is my favorite) but full body, not too impressive.

Gisele, excellent on both. I'll always remember her shot where she's doing a karate (not so sure) with her profile so strikingly gorgeous (That was Vogue US with Natalia, Liya, and Anna J. on the cover).

The ones who have huge internet following like Freja, Abbey, Frida, Toni are actually very poor posers and expressers.

Frida is pretty but she doesn't evoke any type of emotion, expression to convey a strong story. She's just pretty. Her hype is really just based on her prettiness than her modeling skills.

Freja is kind of an "anti-model"...that's her schtick. No graceful posing...always the same Freja.

None of the girls I mentioned above are able to transform like some of the internet's most controversial models, who are actually really good models (Karlie, Coco, Lindsey W, Anja). When I see an editorial with Frida, Toni etc, I don't see that they transform into a character as much as it's "Oh it's Frida/Freja/Toni styled as _____ kind of woman." With Karlie, Coco, Lindsey, Anja etc, all of their pictures are different and they look different in separate editorials and you might not recognize them at first. They adapt and transform with their posing, emotions, expressions and general looks.

omg totally agree with the freja n frida thing! In fact I think Frida G is losing her "pretty".and I would call Wixson a good poser.

Natasa Vojnovic, Raquel Zimmerman, Iselin Steiro, Malgosia Bela, Saskia de Brauw, Karlie Kloss, Sasha Pivavarova, Anja Rubik come to mind.

Hannah Holman, Ashely Smith, Anja Konstantinova, Bambi Northwood Blyth good posers?
They are some of my favourite models but what do you guys think of their modelling work?

Commercial and trashy. At least that's the kind of work they do. For me it's hard to look through trashiness and judge on their posing, I tend to scroll down quickly.

They have high fashion work, they may have some commercial work also but so does Gisele, Isabeli and other models people credit as good posers

What do you mean by Trashy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->