Your organic style

Thanks. I don't have a Trader Joes nearby though but I can get some products around here.

Method, Trader Joes has a nice all purpose cleaner called Next to Godliness, and I just started using Clorox "green cleaners" They seem to work well and do not smell too harsh or cause any reaction (for me at least!) I have yet to find a green dishwashing detergent that actually works. A couple other things I do: I have a ceramic coffee cup, plastic bowl, and regular spoon and fork in my cubicle at work that I wash after every use instead of using the (questionable) plasticware in the drawers in our lunch room!

Do you mean for the dishwasher, or washing by hand?

I like Earth Friendly's dishwasher detergent (I use the lavender), and Mrs Meyers for washing by hand. But everything I've tried for washing by hand has worked ... the dishwasher is more of a challenge. Probably also has something to do with the age of my dishwasher :wink:

I too keep a mug, spoon, plate, and custard cup (for snacks--nuts, chocolate, grape tomatoes) at my desk. I also stock our kitchen with Mrs Meyers handsoap & dishwashing liquid :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean for the dishwasher, or washing by hand?

I like Earth Friendly's dishwasher detergent (I use the lavender), and Mrs Meyers for washing by hand. But everything I've tried for washing by hand has worked ... the dishwasher is more of a challenge. Probably also has something to do with the age of my dishwasher :wink:

Yeah, i was talking dishwasher. I'll give Earth Friendly's a try, where do you purchase it?

^ Btw, this is *not* that quiz that says, "If everyone lived like you, we would need 6 or 7 planets." :rolleyes: I honestly think you cannot win with that one if you live in the US, except maybe if you're those polygamists :lol:

This is a good quiz that really measures things you can do something about. I scored 61.

This is one of the dinnerware patterns I collect ... it was made in 1933 only. It's a challenge to find ...

Fashionista-ta, do you have any more information about this set? e.g. who made it and where? I swear this is the same as my family's prize bloody dinner set is this but in an orange and cream colourway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and what do people recommend for inexpensive natural/organic cleaning products? I ask because even if regular products weren't bad for the environment, I get a bad reaction from the chemicals.

Baking soda really works well to dissolve grime. You can scrub your bathtub, tiles, dishes, kitchen surfaces, floors with it, as well as use it as a facial scrub and mix with toothpaste. It also works as a deodorant for the fridge, sink, etc. Mixed with vinegar it makes an even more powerful cleanser. Also, my laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, and shampoo are all basically just liquid soap.

Fashionista-ta, do you have any more information about this set? e.g. who made it and where? I swear this is the same as my family's prize bloody dinner set is this but in an orange and cream colourway!

I sure do ... it's Homer Laughlin, I think the factory's in Pennsylvania or something like that ... they're still in business. This pattern is a decal on I believe the Century shape, the color is called vellum. This is the only colorway of this particular pattern, but Homer Laughlin was incredibly prolific & there are definitely other patterns that use this shape. I'll take a look at my book & see if I can find anything in orange ...

Sometimes stuff was made exclusively for foreign markets, but with eBay it has a way of finding its way home :lol:

Have you ever looked at the mark on your family's set? Mine has the Homer Laughlin mark & the Wells peacock mark.

Also--there was a lot of English stuff that used this same square Deco shape--the other pieces are a bit more distinctive, I just grabbed the first photo I found. Your set could be Shelley--they used a fair amount of orange. Clarice Cliff used both orange & the house motif ... I love her stuff, but very pricey & not exactly easily found where I live. (Well, neither is this, but at least it's American :wink:)

Thanks for that info! It probably isn't Homer Laughlin since it would have been bought in Australia in the 1930s! I have only seen it about twice because no-one uses it but I swear it has that same shape with an orange trim rather than green and then multi-coloured little cottage house scenes. Hmmmm, I'm going to have to go and dig it out and check the back!

replacements.com

I ordered some things from Replacements this morning ... one of these plates (I bought a platter in this pattern from my local antique mall & loved it, so checking out the pattern further:(

metlox_poppytrail_vernon_jamestown_dinner_plate_P0000056476S0001T2.jpg

and several of these ramekins to go with the 3 I already have (these are perfect for baking an individual serving of whatever:(

taylor_smith_t_ts_t_chateau_buffet_cinnamon_turquoise_ramekin_P0000116109S0008T2.jpg

Oh this is one of my favourite topics! Hehe.
I try to buy organic as often as possible. If I see organic clothes that I like I try to buy them. I love second hands. I bicycle or walk almost everywhere. I always say no to plastic bags. I have some organic make up. Trying to be better at it... + I try to shop less. But this is very hard for me when it comes to clothes and shoes. Soon I will try to make my own organic muesli :smile:

^ Cool ... here's the pic:

il_430xN.20948596.jpg

I have similar curtains in my bedroom made of rectangles of felted ivory wool sweaters in all kinds of different patterns. They're fun to look at ...

what a lovely thread! I love reading everyone's ideas ... I would love to add vintage china and silverware. We didn't register for anything fancy for our wedding, so we still don't have any formal dinnerware, and vintage sounds like a great way to go.

what I've been doing is:
- recycle
- use energy efficient light bulbs
- I always bring my own utensils, plates, cups, etc to work
- eat organic when I can. I am lucky in that my mother-in-law has a wonderful vegetable garden which supplies us with much each week.
- eat very little meat, especially beef
- quite a few pieces of furniture we bought used. of these, my dining table and coffee table are made from reclaimed wood for 100 year old floorboards.

I still have a long way to go, especially in regards to water conservation, reducing my amount of everyday trash, and reducing our gasoline consumption. Also, I'm still trying to reduce my overall consumption of clothing/shoes/etc ... this one has been hard, but I think I'm finally starting to make progress!

^ tourist, glad you like the thread :flower: I think vintage dinnerware & silver are the best--so much more to choose from, and at relative bargain prices for the great detail & design. If you want to learn more about what's out there, check out the collectors' books at the bookstore. I also have vintage glassware. The only contemporary glass I was able to find that I like was Baccarat--I pay a lot less for the vintage patterns I collect :wink: Although--you can certainly pay Baccarat prices for old glass. I found my silver pattern by looking around on eBay at what was available--I needed some extra serving spoons.

I've been shopping for a vintage chest of drawers--instead found a really lovely Deco-influenced '30s carved oak glass-front bookshelf with shallow drawers at the top. It's happily sitting in my dining room as we speak, delivered today ... this is the first piece of oak furniture I own, the only oak I had was my floors :lol:

i buy a lot of organic products. My shampoo's are all organic. I enjoy eating organic good also. I eating less meat and more greens.

i recycle almost all of the plastic i use, i use mostly natural skincare products, and i use an eco-friendly cosmetic bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->