Your organic style

I use to make my own shampoos. It depends on your hair typea nd color. I have brown normal -dry hair, so I wash it with 50% nettle and 50% walnut tree level tea. it makes your hair super shiny and rich! It couldn't be more simple...

I have used Aubrey Organics & currently use Aveda (who have a great loyalty program). But I must admit it's all more than $6/bottle ... I've been buying the liters at Aveda & they really last forever ... and I wash my hair every day, obviously they'd last even longer if you didn't :lol:

If the Aveda lasts long for someone who washes their hair everyday, maybe I'll just spend more money and get that. I have dry hair anyway and can't wash my hair everyday since I don't think that would be good for it. I think I might try out making some of my own shampoo though too for right now.

I think the Shampure is the cheapest, and they give you pumps for the giant bottles (sometimes you have to ask). You can also get a Pure Privilege card ... I think it's $10 & you get a natural makeup bag (hemp?) & 3 travel size products. Then you rack up points & redeem them for candles, Aveda salon gift certificates, etc. The top level is a spa visit ...

vivaterra.com

I thought these recycled glass vases were beautiful ...

object_utils.display_object

Those vases are nice!!

Ok, to my eco-minded friends: I have an old t-shirt from a band I followed around in high school. I designed the shirt and it has the band members' signatures on the back. Unfortunately, I cannot wear it anymore (it is a sleep shirt now of course) because the straps are stretched to no return. What can I do with the body of this shirt so that I can preserve the memories, but its not just a piece of garbage around my apartment. If you think seeing a picture might spark any ideas I can post one!

^ You might look at Project Alabama pix for inspiration ... they worked with vintage Ts in the beginning. Or what about a pillow?

wwd

I thought this was pretty interesting ...

PARIS — It’s the country that gave the world the ultimate purveyor of fast fashion in Hennes & Mauritz, but Sweden’s latest retail innovation offers the old rather than the new: a Filippa K store selling only its own secondhand clothing.

The 15-year-old contemporary label, which opens its first U.S. boutique today in San Francisco, has pioneered a 700-square-foot concept selling used easy-to-wear styles for men and women plus accessories on Stockholm’s bustling Hornsgatan Street.

The goal is to reduce garments’ ecological impact later in their life cycle. “Recycling is obviously an effective way to utilize resources,...

I've been really pleased to see that Target has a great selection of non-PVC shower curtains & liners. I've bought a couple in the past few months.

I also bought an organic baby toy for my dogs there today, but I have to say they've turned up their noses at it so far :innocent: I think the shape & texture may not be very interesting ...

I recycle.

Turn off lights, tv, lamps, fans and other appliances when not using them.

I buy organic and free ranger dairy, eggs and meat.

I mostly walk and drive as little as possible.

I use organic shampoo and conditioner.

I use reusable bags for grocery stores or ask for paper instead of plastic.

I donate any clothes I am not using, to the goodwill and salvation army.

My dog is from a shelter.

Update ... there was great interest in the all-natural cotton toy when it was discovered it had a nice long cotton tape tag that could be chewed off in pieces :P

Any recommendations for green linens--organic cotton, hemp, bamboo?

I am needing to replace my fitted sheets, & have a 17" mattress.

I tried Target's organic cotton line as I'd found nice linens there in the past when buying for someone else. Unfortunately their organic line isn't very nice :innocent: I usually wash sheets in warm water, but used cold as they were brand new. Even so they shrank & were about a foot short of fitting over the last corner :huh: Plus the quality was terrible.

Please let me know what you've tried and like. I want them to be soft, but tough enough to stand up to scratching dogs. My dog who likes to scratch before she lies down is the reason I need to replace the ones I have :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an fyi that Gaiam's annual sale is going on right now (gaiam.com). Just stocked up on organic cotton washcloths ...

Does anybody know of any green clothing lines that aren't super pricey?

I do what I can... I drive a low emission vehicle (Honda Fit), try to bicycle wherever I can (my city is not incredibly bike friendly, so this is pretty much limited to my university campus and the immediate surrounding areas), turn off my lights when I'm gone, my sheets are an organic cotton/bamboo blend, I recycle, donate things I don't use, when I get plastic bags from the store I reuse them to line trashcans, I don't eat much meat, and I try to buy organic food when my grocery budget permits.

Thought I'd mention that I ended up ordering a linen fitted sheet from Williams-Sonoma Home ... and then I found what I think is the source for the hemp sheets I read about awhile ago--rawganique.com. They also carry organic linen (I thought all linen was pretty much grown without pesticides? :huh:). I've also been checking out some online sources for antique embroidered linen top sheets ... a bit more of an investment though. I am still looking ...

^^:clap: Wow, you sound like me and I thought I wasn't doing much at all.

As for green clothing lines, I don't know of many except for independent hippie stores. In my area, they get their clothing imported from Tibet and many other Asian countries that sew with hemp.

Yeah, we don't have places like that around here. We have one natural foods store but they don't have any clothing, and there are tons of boutiques that are really pricey, and I don't think any of them sell green clothing. It would be nice if an eco-friendly store opened up with a price point similar to Gap! I love the idea of organic textiles but at the same time I don't want that distinctive "hippie" look... haha

^ Try Google and see what you find. Take a look at Gaiam, Under the Canopy, Patagonia ... maybe I should ask what you mean by affordable :wink: But to me anything under $100 is affordable.

I'm very into recycle... i even hve t shirt third hand (from people i can trust).
I alos love to exchange clothes ....specially with male friends...
I like remade things out of style into new...like refreshing them... i think i learn that from my mom in a way... i also im so into Vintage...
And when an accessory breaks you can re-made it into something new... or at least give it a try...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->