Your style evolution

Hipkitten

Diamond
Reaction score
As mentioned in my profile, I have something of a Dissociative Fashion Disorder. Over the past 10 years my style has changed dramatically. This got me wondering, Am I alone? So - have you always had the same basic style, or have you made dramatic changes over the years?

For me, I've had so many different looks it's impossible to recount them all. In fact, I was looking back at pictures and could not remember even having certain hairstyles/colors. Seriously. I literally don't recognize certain styles (think: When did I wear my hair like that?)

I was ultra casual (i.e. high school rebellion phase)

I was a femme fatale (Black hair and all drama – I even had the body piercings - yikes )

I was au naturale

I was super glam

Currently, I'm in my "Miss Posh Prep" phase (Chanel suit, Black Label cashmere, etc.)

Your turn :flower:

GREAT thread :smile: And you are definitely not alone :smile:

0-8: As girlie, pink and loud as you possibly can wear
9-10: Sexy lolita phase (tight dresses etc)
11-14: wh*re phase..The shorter the skirt, the higher the heel & the more midriff the better!!
14-17: 1 step ahead of street trends phase...everything designer & expensive
18-20: I have no money phase: I knew how to dress but I had nowhere to go (in bradenton)
Now: 20 and near miami: Still al little low on cash but my girly and expensive phases have mingled and I have thrown *artistic* into the mix. :smile:

i am 19 ys old, so i think i havent gone through many phases, but the ones i can make out are:

-early teens - 17: very rebellious, ultra tigh womens clothes, customisations on clothes, ripped tshirts, funky shoes (signature item: dark blue, patent-leather, flat cowboy boots) :heart:

-17-until now: more laid back, jeans and t-shirt, but i still try to keep some quirk and the funky sneakears too (signature item: my slip on vans, for shure)

what will come next??

this is a great thread :flower:

I am very similar to you Hipkitten, I too have evolved.
I used to decorate myself... I used to do a flowery dress and earrings, flowers in my hair, necklaces, ring, colorful shoes, and a colorful bag to top it off!
Too much!
Then I slowly learned that less can be more at time and I do not over accesorize.
I also used to wear alot of stuff that overly matched, not I know how to mix and match more.
I think that the biggest influence in my wardrobe and stlye has been SJP. When I first watched SATC I was like 'that doesnt match', then I learned that *that* makes it look so hot and creative dressing is better than buying right off the maniquin.

Thank G-d I'm not alone on this one! It's so funny when people who haven't known me for very long see pictures from my recent past and can't recognize me.

awesome thread. there's related thread about 'schizophrenic style' that goes well alongside this topic. ^_^

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8019&highlight=schizo

as for me, let me think...

0 - 8: very little girly and sweet.
8 - 10: no style, as I was about a foot taller than every other kid my age and nothing fit.
10 - 11: grunge...babydoll dresses with leggings, flannel shirts, etc.
12 - 13: mod. twiggy was my icon. I cropped my hair, painted my nails opaque white, and wore mini-dresses with chain belts. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to be samantha from bewitched or a hippy.
14 - 15: preppy. I discovered the gap.
16 - 17: rediscovered fashion. I started thrifting and collecting vintage. hardcore vintage preppy.
18 - 19: increasingly arty. mediaeval, victorian and edwardian prettyness...and then back to vintage preppy again.
20 - 22: complete SCHIZO. anything goes. :mrgreen:

I've changed a lot and I don't want to remember certain things... but:
-until 8 years old: always, always in skirts, I hated pants
-9-12:no style at all, leggins or jeans and big tees (awful period)
-12-14:skater-surfer attempt
-14-16: first fashionable follower of many trends, and, after that, bohemian and hippy
-16 until now(18:( very eclectic, but I feel very mod (twiggy is my main style icon) and hippy and bohemian too, and sometimes femenine and a little lolita(in a mod-ish way)

hmm...

0-8 I think I wore whatever my mom put me in; lots and lots of sweat suits from waht i remember.
10-13 the Limited Too. I tried to fit in far too much.
13-15 I went through this weird retro 80's phase where I wore a lot of bleached denim and weird prints.
15-18 Goth. total black all the time, black lipstick, spikes, the whole deal.
18-21 I discovered true fashion. figured out my love for vintage clothes and odd designer pieces. Somewaht skanky, msotly on the weekends
21-now I'm a lot more calm than I used to be. More neutrals and classic pieces integrated with my crazy stuff.

I still like black though.

You are definitely not alone. Actually, I think it is necessary to "evolve" in fashion or else you'll be left behind! (Like wearing jeans tucked in your Uggs everyday for the next 5 years would not be good).

Is there really a name for this, like "Dissociative Fashion Disorder," or does it mean you're just not plain jane :wink:

junior high
skater/ androgynous/ urban outfitter

high school
artsy fartsy. colorful experimental. tutu dresses and swimsuits to school. thrift scores.

college/university
continuation of eclectic dressing, ladylike skirts, very fitted clothing, vintage, lots of black, started wearing shirts inside out and tailoring my clothes.

current
still eclectic, lots of black, much more chic
an average outfit would be: a sheer black and white polka dot shirt button down, jeans, and heels. i have much more of an appreciation for clothes, taking care of them, looking smart...and more of an understated elegance.

travolta it sounds like all your stages were lovely ! :heart:
you didn't have any awkward gawky teenage years ! :lol:

thanks chanel! actually that isn't true though! i always felt like the weird art kid! even in art university! now i feel like i know myself a bit better so i'm don't always have to wear my individuality to the extreme...i think proportion has always interested me more than the material or the print of a fabric. in college i wanted my clothes to emphasize my feminity or my attributes, i no longer really think that..i think understatement is even more sexy, and clothing doesn't have to "fit" in the traditional sense.

edit: i like yohji and junya watanabe's stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
i think your style sounds really interesting ! :wub:
i'd love to see some pictures someday ! :flower:

thanks, chanel. unfortunately i am in need of lots of new clothes. i can't afford designers stuff so most of what i buy i get every where else! tjmax, banana republic, express, thrift stores, vintage etc..and then i'll wear it as is or alter it..if guess when you shop like that material and print is the most important! i've been recently interested in wearing lots of button downs maybe a size or two too big and altering it or wearing as it open with maybe a little dress underneth. i think i just want to wear clothing that doesn't feel too restrictive or complicated...breezy and easy. :flower:

yes. i totally understand !
i'm only young so i haven't had many phases {in my evolution} :lol:
i feel i'm not really the right age for designer
& i'm not ready to commit to a certain style
so i shop alot tj maxx & alter practically evrythn i buy so it's unique to me :flower:

^ hey tj maxx has some great finds! i found black ankle boots from bcbg recently for 50 bucks and they are very helmut lang. it is a steal. i think it is good to have a few really well made splurged items, but in general i think it is the best education when you have to hunt for something..you really have to problem solve and be very specific. you sound like you have a good view on these things^_^

i_<3_chanel said:
i feel i'm not really the right age for designer
& i'm not ready to commit to a certain style
so i shop alot tj maxx & alter practically evrythn i buy so it's unique to me :flower:

Thats a fantastic quote. I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm in that kind of stage at the moment.

Just buying stuff to tide me over untill I find my fashion feet, i'm not going to drop any large amounts of money into clothes.

alexx although my clothes aren't super expensive / designer
i feel i have a strong look thts unique to me ! :heart:
right now evrythn in my wardrobe is fun & disposable :lol:
when i do eventually buy designer pieces
i'll most definitely be mixing & matching ^_^
i think it's the most interesting way to wear designer
no head to toe, straight off the runway fashion for me ! :innocent:

wow my style has changed alot.. When I was younger like 7-9 I would wear whatever my mom made or bought for me.. I had my favorites though and I wore them over and over again! lol When I was like 12 or so I designed my first dress and my mom and mee-maw made it for me! I loved it! Anyways now I'm trying to take more risks with my fashion because I tend to be very safe.. Being 16 (17 in June) my budget isn't very big and I do buy all my own clothes (my parents don't buy any, maybe every blue moon). So I do shop around but I've decided to keep it simple and not buy so many "cheap" clothes and save my money and buy better quality classic pieces then when I get my basics I can splurge on accessories! My style leans towards chic classy.. Think Grace Kelly but I also like fun clothes too! My favorite designers are Chanel, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs.. Omg this is soo long sorry I got carried away:blush: Oh by the way I like TJMaxx too and Marshalls

this is a great topic...
i'm old...so i will have to take my time and think about all my phases....:rolleyes: ...it has definitely been an 'evolution'...

travolta...tutus and swimsuits to school??...hats off to you dear...that's very brave...:D :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->