Yves Saint Laurent S/S 10 Paris

i think this might be more saleable as individual pieces. But there is something unsettling about the collection as a whole. However, I loved the fishnets and shoes.

Did anyone else feel like this deep purple detail was completely incoherent with the rest of the runway looks

style.com

I did find it a bit stark against the white, but I love the other similar neck detail he did with grey/black feathers, giving texture without the heaviness. But the cut of this dress is just *impeccable*.....the only other dress I ever own that could compare to the classic cut of Pilati's YSL simple dresses is a Thierry Mugler vintage dress...man, that guy with his curved seams puts Threeasfour to shame. He didn't use curved/diagonal seams to make a funny shape, he used them to make the dress fit *perfectly* into deceptively sleek, straight lines, because well, the body is curved...same with some of the YSLs I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I adore it! :wub: except for this weird pink number on Anna K and few other pieces and let's pretend I haven't seen the strawberry skirt. But overall I really love what I see. People may say it's boring but then it means I love boring clothese :heart:

Definitely something you need to look at a few times, but so far it really intrigues me. I think I may like the strawberries - they seem quite unusually placed, but very practical.

for once i actually like pilati s work, seems to me he has evolved and found his identity. fact that it doesnt relate very much to ysl s archives (the superficial strawberries are a weak and unnecessary attempt, honestly) doesnt really matter.

There are really only 3-4 pieces that I do not like. The rest works - I want to know more about the strawberry theme though. I think the Style.com review of this was actually very on point - the problem with this collection is not the fact that the clothes are bad its the fact that it lacks any sense of cohesion whatsoever. There are a lot of good ideas floating around here but nothing really sticks and provides a clear cut direction.

^^^ The strawberries are practical?? :unsure: You mean like if you're eating marinara??

I know every keeps saying how much they hate the strawberries on some of the pieces but this to me is still very YSL. I love what Stefano has done for Yves Saint Laurent and this may not be his best work but it's not a bad collection. I don't love it but I like it^_^

Was Suzy's review posted yet?
PARIS — Within the weird and not-so-wonderful collection that Stefano Pilati sent out for Yves Saint Laurent were haunting images of other, buried treasures.
A priestly beauty circled the snowy ruffs on a blouse or a Vatican cape touched the shoulders, recalling Mr. Pilati’s early work for the house.
Traces of the designer’s later vision of chic severity appeared as a curvy white sleeveless jacket and sharp shorts. And reverberating through the peasant looks, from off-the-shoulder blouse to a strawberry print on a white cotton skirt, there was some sweet suggestion of an innocent country childhood.
But what did all this mean as a cohesive collection? Backstage, Mr. Pilati tried to explain the choices of different fabrics — which included his sleek take on leather and the summer cottons. He also referred to the apron effect that left gaping open backs. But the story line for summer 2010 was complex, not to say confusing, compared with the winter collection. That pared-down, 21st-century minimalism is now influencing the runways.
This new show contained some real puzzles: the leather shorts with bondage straps at the thighs; the oh-so-unsophisticated peasant takes, including strawberry earrings; and just three unsubtle colors — blue, raspberry pink and forest green — among the black and white.
In his tenure at YSL, Mr. Pilati has positioned the style as less about the bourgeois elegance that the brand had grown into and more for arty individuals. Perhaps Claudia Schiffer or Kate Moss, the face of the fragrance, might relate to a little black dress or the inevitable tuxedo, shown with a clerical froth at the neck.
But why even offer a hesitant version of the Saint Laurent heritage — like the strawberry-fields-for-never peasant skirt? Deep down, you can feel that Mr. Pilati is a romantic who has been forcing himself to create a carapace of chic. Just occasionally, as in a white cotton dress, impeccably cut on the curve, this Saint Laurent collection fused an urban sophistication with country innocence in a beautiful way.
NYTimes.com

Well it's going in many different directions, I don't really understand if there was any inspiration or what... It's confusing.
I crave to see it in motion.
This was the best piece by far.

From Suzy's review:
Deep down, you can feel that Mr. Pilati is a romantic who has been forcing himself to create a carapace of chic.
Boy, did she just hit the nail on the head.

Stefano, quit the charade...be yourself.

"like the strawberry-fields-for-never peasant skirt?"

!

Well, yes, I feel the strawberries are quite practical. If not that specific skirt, in general the idea of wearing silly meaningless prints for Spring. The strawberries are seemingly irrelevant and unusual, but it doesn't take a lot of charisma or an overwhelming amount of confidence to wear them, and that's what I like about them. They're just kind of silly and pointless. The glittery star-printed dresses from Spring 08 are the same way, for me. It's just a print.

Well it's going in many different directions, I don't really understand if there was any inspiration or what... It's confusing.
I crave to see it in motion.
This was the best piece by far.

Yes, that's the white dress I liked, and I think it's the one Suzy's referring to as well ...

I think it would take a lot of charisma and confidence to pull off that strawberry skirt :lol: I suppose someone like Tori Spelling could wear it without irony :innocent:

I meant the idea of wearing a sappy strawberry print (or a print similar to that) in general, not wearing that specific skirt ^_^
I just think there is something quite charming and humorous about how irrelevant that skirt is in this collection, and I bet that it can work well in editorials, but you are right it would take quite a bit of charisma to wear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->