The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belowen

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]99683[/split]

Moderator's note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please remember to stay on topic... All off topic discussion will be removed.
  • Please do not power post e.g. make empty posts with no info/questions/images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • To view old thread(s) please use search function.
Thank you.

NOTE: Curious as to what this thread is all about? See this post for an explanation.

Hi guys! I'm baaaaaack. :lol:

We are heading into Autumn now (despite the weather still hanging around the 40 degree celcius mark) so I am starting to think forward as to where I want to go with my wardrobe this season. I have quite a firm idea about what my personal style is now, so I will be sticking to that and finding pieces that I know will work with me, with my wardrobe and choosing items that will stand the test of time.

Here is a general idea of what I am thinking for Autumn/Winter 2010 -

Tops
** sheer black / print / floral blouses (will look to buy 2 new blouses this season)
* black cashmere v-neck sweater
** black cashmere cardigan (x2)
* black studded silk tank
black silk/jersey tee
elizabeth and james black satin blouse

Bottoms
** black pencil skirts (will need to purchase 2 new skirts for work)
black cigarette style pants
** dark denim jeans (will need 1-2 new pairs)

Dresses
* asos dark purple/floral print dress [ordered]
basque dark green/black peacock print dress
black/grey polka dot print babydoll dress
ann taylor black dress w. rosette shoulders

Outerwear
* black long length blazer
* black leather jacket
black tie-waist trench

Accessories
* cashmere tube scarf
house of harlow peacock ring
* oversized ray ban wayfarers
* oversized black leather handbag
3.1 phillip lim black patent clutch
vintage peacock clutch
* oversized black leather clutch
mimco black embellished hair piece
diamond stud earrings
tiffany & co initial necklace
* black pearl earrings

Shoes
* lanvin black leather ballet flats
country road black leather ballet flats
black patent ankle boots
wittner flat black leather boots
wittner black patent pointed flats
chanel burgundy round toe heels

All of the items I need to find/purchase are *'d. I will also need to stock up on black opaque tights, and some layering pieces (plain black tanks, and longsleeve tees usually from Witchery)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, about making list for spring:

I haven't made one already. Many lovely things are coming in that I want :P But I'll observe everything for a while, than I'll have a look at my closet and then I'll make my list. I might buy something at the end of the year if my sale shopping is lower than I thought because I allow myself to buy something extra at the end of the year (usually in sales). But I guess I'll make my lists at the beginning of 2012.

(Plus: I've observed lists aren't to be taken too serious. For example, I had a necklace on my list but ended up buying a pair of earrings insted. I had a sweater on my list but haven't found the perfect one so I just didn't buy any. But this year I bought the two dresses and the boots on my list, so I'm still happy :D)

RedandNavy, as far as the shoes ... they didn't fit right (too narrow and too long), and I didn't like the way they looked either. In a size 6 or whatever I saw at the store, they were cute, but in size 9 they looked like clown shoes, and also like men's shoes in too literal a way for my taste. The proportions were completely different from the smaller shoe ...

I can still wear my old ones for a bit longer, but hopefully I'll be able to find some I like. If not, top of the list for next fall ...

I agree that, unless you have a tailor who can custom-make whatever you dream up (and that would be great!), you have to be ready to adapt your list and vision to whatever is actually available. I try not to be too specific for that reason, because I can all too easily imagine great things that cannot be found!

I went a little shopping crazy this month, but there was way to many good deals.

I am thinking about what to get for spring. I really hope that I can pull myself together so that I can be able to make some good investments.

If I have the money I would love to get:
- Acne Pistols
- YSL mail clutch
- MJ stam bag

I have been looking for a good black bag for everyday use but I'm soooo picky about bags since I want something in a nice quality that suits my style (femine with 50's/60's references) but also has a contemporary look. I think the stam fulfills those demands, but lets see what I decide to do, when I have the money. After I bought my bayswater I've been having a hard time finding a bag that suits my needs and my taste, but I really could use a black bag.

I would also love to get a pair of red ballet flats and a specific maxi dress, but lets see what happens.

Awwwwww.... :heart: The long admired winter Jacket/Coat just went on sale... It was 30% off and finally it was in a price range that is okay. Still damn expensive but at the upper limit of what I am willing to pay for a good winter jacket. So I ordered it and expect that it will arrive next week or the week after. If both the brogues (haven't arrived yet) and the jacket fit, I'll be in heaven. Both items have been on top of my lists for months now but were out of reach for me. Please please let them be as nice as I wish! :blush:

I have been a long time lurker of this thread, but have never actually posted. I have this debilitating habit of shopping while I am stressed, and this year has been a SUPER stressful year (only getting more stressful until mid-March). :P

I have really tried in vain to limit my shopping, attempting to only purchase a 5 pieces per season. So far for the season I picked up a pair of black suede booties, a patterned tweed pencil skirt, and some sweaters to get me through the upcoming cold winter months (though it was unseasonably warm this month, but it never hurts to be prepared)

I am currently on an interview trail and am in dire need of another suit, as the one that I currently have just is not cutting it. I hate the material and it wrinkles so easily.

I also am eyeing a pair of wool pants from J. Crew. I would love to buy them, but my only problem is that I am SUPER petite and have no idea what the fit is. I am not sure if they have petite sizing in stores, and if they do, finding a petite 00 would probably be difficult. The pants are on final sale, and if I do purchase, and they do not fit. I would have to get some alterations done, which I usually do not have a problem with (though it does annoy me some times to have to pay extra for clothing that I really want - how is that fair! :angry:) I suppose I will let this simmer and decide if I will really love the pair. I'll probably visit the store as well just to see the pants in real life. Hopefully, the pants are not sold out by the time the sale ends if I do decide to purchase.

RedandNavy, I have my fingers crossed for you :flower: Hopefully you will have much better luck than mine :wink: I went to two Williams-Sonomas yesterday to get a replacement present for the shoes that didn't work out. I so remember why I get my shopping done early :rolleyes: I have one more errand today, hopefully the mob scene won't be too bad. I really want a magazine from the bookstore, but I was unwilling (unable?) to face another crammed parking lot and mob scene. It's nearly impossible for me to imagine that there are people who thrive on that kinda thing ...

mordant, I would definitely get to J Crew and see how they really fit! J Crew doesn't fit me at all ... as you know, Michelle Obama wears it a lot and there are tons of pix of her in it, but I don't think she wears the pants?

As far as interviewing, I (fan of separates that I am) put together unmatched suits. I also like the fact that doing that allows me a bit more scope ... I really hate the cookie cutter aspect of suits. Do you have either a jacket or skirt or pants that would work?

Couple suggestions for the soft addiction ... I would see if you can't substitute something that's actually beneficial, and also makes you feel good. Two things that work for me are meditation and http://www.kiva.org

^I agree that is a wonderful suggestion. I had not heard of that site before what an interesting concept to loan to help others succeed! :smile:

Now that Christmas has come and gone, I've ended up with a bit more pocket money and I've decided to update my wardrobe. I thought long about what I needed most and I found that all of my 'basics' are in horrible need of replacement. I neglect them because I suppose its not as fun shopping for basics or in previous mindsets I hated throwing out money for just a 'basic' tee. But now I've come to realize that for a wardrobe to really succeed it depends on having solid basics. I'm tired of having nothing to wear or worrying about coordinating. I want to invest in luxurious basics that will last and look fantastic with just a blazer thrown on top and paired with skinnies.

So my desired wardrobe additions look something like this:

1. Acne Wonder Tee
2. A silky white blouse such as this Topshop one.
3. Basic white top like this one by Thakoon
4. And because every updated wardrobe needs a new scent to match, Daisy by Marc Jacobs.

Collage made at polyvore.com

^ I think you definitely have the right idea ... basics are really important. I also think fragrance is a great update too ... goes with everything and provides a nice boost.

I am planning to continue stocking up on really basic things like PJs, tights, and lingerie. May also get some perfume ... am also going to look around for a replacement for my black flats. And try on the shoes I saw ...

Re Kiva, I really think it's the best thing since sliced bread :lol: Love love love it. There are also lots of women whose business is selling clothes, and fabric and supplies for making clothes.

I've been a long time reader of this thread, and think I'm finally ready to take the plunge. I have an overflowing closet and nothing to wear.

I'm going to go through my clothes in the next few days, as a charity truck is coming on Friday...and while I won't be ruthless, I'll aim for practicality.

Question, though...how do you separate your wardrobe and the items you need? For example, I go to spin and yoga classes 3-5 days a week at the local gym. And gym clothes wear out a lot faster than normal clothing. Would those items count as my 5 items?

^ The 4-5 pieces is pieces you're adding to what you already have ... it doesn't really have much to do with what you keep.

I would look at getting rid of things that you know don't work. One thing you can do if you have storage space is to move everything out of your closet, and then create a capsule wardrobe for the current season, and move that back in. You can then pull from storage any items you miss and need.

After two seasons, you should be able to determine what is backup for items in your capsule wardrobe (you can keep those and use them to backfill as needed), and what perhaps you don't need at all.

nordstrom

Here's what I bought today ...

Socks and more tights ... another pair of PJs:

Attachments

• DKNY.jpg
    DKNY.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 575
  • bottega.jpg
    bottega.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 577
Last edited by a moderator:
So I decided against the J. Crew pants. I wasn't in love with them and didn't want to put in the money for alterations so it was a no-brainer. The fit just wasn't right.

I did, however, find a suit. They didn't have my size in stores so I had to have it ordered online. It may still be slightly big on me, but I loved the material and the color so putting in the extra money for alterations would be completely worth it. I agree with you, fashionista-ta, I do love unmatched suits. But the field I am going into is super conservative so unfortunately, a matched suit is what I needed to buy. However, the pieces would make for great separates, especially the blazer. I am super excited! :P

Thanks for the suggestion of creating a capsule wardrobe fashionista-ta, I think I'll do just that.

My biggest problem is that I'm getting older, I find that some of my clothes no longer fit my body or my lifestyle. Some things are easier to get rid of than others, but I'm having the hardest time with my separates! My DH lovingly says that I'm stacked like the Library of Congress, so I find jeans/skirts cut me off in an awkward way. Which is why I have over 100 dresses. (That's a lot, I know)

My first order of business is to find a good local tailor...maybe he or she can help with the fit of my jeans/skirts. Or am I expecting miracles?

Thanks for the suggestion of creating a capsule wardrobe fashionista-ta, I think I'll do just that.

My biggest problem is that I'm getting older, I find that some of my clothes no longer fit my body or my lifestyle. Some things are easier to get rid of than others, but I'm having the hardest time with my separates! My DH lovingly says that I'm stacked like the Library of Congress, so I find jeans/skirts cut me off in an awkward way. Which is why I have over 100 dresses. (That's a lot, I know)

My first order of business is to find a good local tailor...maybe he or she can help with the fit of my jeans/skirts. Or am I expecting miracles?

Too funny :lol:

I don't understand the jeans/skirts problem ... can you explain a bit more? How tall are you?

fashionista-ta, I'm 5"10, and up until a year or two ago, was built like Jessica Rabbit. Now, genetics are starting to catch up with me, and my stomach isn't...ahem...as flat as it was. So now my skirts and jeans seem to cut me off in an unflattering way. My waistline seems to have raised a inch or two, at least visually.

Dresses are easier to wear, so that's what I'm wearing while I figure out my jeans and skirts. I don't know if it's possible to tailor a skirt to adjust for my new figure. I haven't gained any weight, it's just shifted a bit. That sounds so strange, I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->