The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all for your great ideas!

I have lots of colored scarves, shoes, and tights and even bags, actually, which I adore, but I only ever wear the black ones because my winter clothes are black. And black + colour can be tricky......I should really find a way to make better use of my colored accessories in the winter...

I love your black and white scarf Betinapple, that would actually be a good idea for me. Maybe stripes. And Trenchcoat's idea of edging towards more cream, and gray and navy clothes would be a great way to ease me out of the dark while still making use of my black items...

Last edited by a moderator:

I have lots of colored scarves, shoes, and tights and even bags, actually, which I adore, but I only ever wear the black ones because my winter clothes are black. And black + colour can be tricky......I should really find a way to make better use of my colored accessories in the winter...

I love your black and white scarf Betinapple, that would actually be a good idea for me. Maybe stripes. And Trenchcoat's idea of edging towards more cream, and gray and navy clothes would be a great way to ease me out of the dark while still making use of my black items...

I think that a black/white patterned scarf or a striped item (black/white og cream/navy) would make it easier to use the coloured accesories in your outfits.

Not sure why you think black + color can be tricky? The color does pop, but I consider that a good thing :Pink: I do it all the time, especially with red. Leopard and other animal prints are also good with black, and very easy to find right now ...

Not sure why you think black + color can be tricky? The color does pop, but I consider that a good thing :Pink: I do it all the time, especially with red. Leopard and other animal prints are also good with black, and very easy to find right now ...

I find that an all black outfit worn with a single coloured accesory can look a tad off. That is the reason why I am having so much trouble with my green Stam bag for instance.

^I agree. It can look very harsh I think. I always feel like it is difficult to make a black + statement color outfit to work and look harmonious.

Betinapple, that is SO true about adding colour to stripes or black and white!
Hmm, maybe my next item should be a stripey l/s t-shirt. Easy to find in France.

Ta-ta, good idea, I should look into animal prints.
Black and a pop of color looks a little more graphic and eighties than I'd like on me, a little too aggressive on my already pale skin and very long, very dark hair. That said, I like gold/bronze, or a small splash of cool mint with black, for some reason. A soft pink works sometimes too.

My black dilemma intensified because my last pair of blue denim died this summer, leaving me with a bunch of things that used to go with jeans. But I'm trying to wean myself off of jeans for now as well. It's not only stressful finding ones that suit you, but they're frankly not too comfy.

Yay, getting inspired again!:flower:

Betinapple, that is SO true about adding colour to stripes or black and white!
Hmm, maybe my next item should be a stripey l/s t-shirt. Easy to find in France.

Ta-ta, good idea, I should look into animal prints.
Black and a pop of color looks a little more graphic and eighties than I'd like on me, a little too aggressive on my already pale skin and very long, very dark hair. That said, I like gold/bronze, or a small splash of cool mint with black, for some reason. A soft pink works sometimes too.

My black dilemma intensified because my last pair of blue denim died this summer, leaving me with a bunch of things that used to go with jeans. But I'm trying to wean myself off of jeans for now as well. It's not only stressful finding ones that suit you, but they're frankly not too comfy.

Yay, getting inspired again!:flower:

I should think so. I would be in heaven if I went to France :lol: I have a passion for stripes.

Good luck with your mission :smile: Maybe a mint nailpolish would be a nice addition as well?

I have done black with my baby blue skirt. To me black with pastels can be difficult ... but I have always thought, if the color is really good in the first place, it works with black. As you know, I have looked for hot pink shoes, and the color always ends up looking cheap to me. Somehow it doesn't saturate well.

Little puzzled by what you're saying about your Stam, betina, as I know that is a good color :wink: Perhaps you could pick it up with a second item. I have a skirt in that same color ...

I have done black with my baby blue skirt. To me black with pastels can be difficult ... but I have always thought, if the color is really good in the first place, it works with black. As you know, I have looked for hot pink shoes, and the color always ends up looking cheap to me. Somehow it doesn't saturate well.

Little puzzled by what you're saying about your Stam, betina, as I know that is a good color :wink: Perhaps you could pick it up with a second item. I have a skirt in that same color ...

It is a GORGEOUS colour. But not for me and my color scheme. I am really contemplating dyeing it black.

@Melisande: I think I would start with some cheap(er) accesories, like a new lipstick, nailpolish or a scarf, if you wear those. Bags and shoes are great for adding colour as well, but more expensive - would be a shame if you did not get to wear them anyway. Coloured tights could be an idea too.

@Trenchcoat: I do not think that basics needs to be changed often if you buy the right quality. Most of my basic tops are 3 years old and they are still going strong. They did not even cost a lot, the most expensive one I payed perhaps 55 dollars for. I really think it pays of just paying a little more for your items.

For ballet flats I can recommend Bloch and Stylesnob. Both should be within your price range.

---------------------

Wearing my new dress today while I am home writing my sociologi/politics exam. Super comfy!

Can you tell me the brands of the basics and where to buy them. I'll be very honest with you, I really don't know very good brands. I used to be a H&M girl that buys everything from there. Now I want to spend my money on quality but I don't know good brands for these basics that arent ridiculously expensive.

Eizhowa. Yes that's the difference. I wear ballerinas only in June and July. It's very rainy in my country and even though it can be hot in April, if it's raining I don't were ballerinas.

Can you tell me the brands of the basics and where to buy them. I'll be very honest with you, I really don't know very good brands. I used to be a H&M girl that buys everything from there. Now I want to spend my money on quality but I don't know good brands for these basics that arent ridiculously expensive.

Eizhowa. Yes that's the difference. I wear ballerinas only in June and July. It's very rainy in my country and even though it can be hot in April, if it's raining I don't were ballerinas.

For basics, I really think you just need to try everything on to see what fits first. Betina has mentioned she has jeans from Gina Tricot that she likes, while I look terrible in their models. When you find a basic that fits, you just need to inspect the garment to see if it is any good. Does the material feel cheap? A silk that feels rough under your fingers is not a great silk. I have touched silk shirts costing 300-400 usd that felt rough... Are the seams good? It is often a problem with cheaper basics that they will tvist in the wash, so look for uneaven seams. Thats really the best advice I know. None of my basics are from the same brand. Everything changes when they bring in the new models and materials...

For basics, I really think you just need to try everything on to see what fits first. Betina has mentioned she has jeans from Gina Tricot that she likes, while I look terrible in their models. When you find a basic that fits, you just need to inspect the garment to see if it is any good. Does the material feel cheap? Are the seams good? It is often a problem with cheaper basics that they will tvist in the wash, so look for uneaven seams. Thats really the best advice I know. None of my basics are from the same brand. Everything changes when they bring in the new models and materials...

Do you have example of brands?
I like COS, Tommy Hilfiger, Selected Femme and American Vintage.
Eizhowa. Thanks for advising me outnet.com!!

I can tell you what my basics consists of right now:

Jeans(best --> worst:( Grifoni, Kiomi, Monki, Lee
Tees(best --> worst:( Acne, Monki (Lerima top), Kappahl

I am very happy with my new lambswool scarf. I have tried to find the brand online, but no luck:( It was less expensive than my Acne scarf, but just as good. I also think the washed silk from Iris and Ink is good, but their cashmere was very thin...

I am pleased with the quality of my saint james breton. Very thick, but I wish I had choosen a more fitted style. Maybe next time:wink:

I don't think I have any of the brands you mentioned in my town. At least, not that I have seen.

Thanks for the advise on ballerinas. I saw these at a big selfridges like store in my country. These of Tommy Hilfiger looked very good! I looked at the seams and sole. The leather seemed good too.

@Trenchcoat: where do you live?

My favourite basic tops are from Samsøe Samsøe which is a danish brand. Not sure if it is available in your location. The Bloch ballet flats can be bought on NAP.

For jeans my best pairs have been from Global Funk.

For knitwear in a low price range I have had good experiences with H&Ms knits. I have 3 cashmere cardigans from their kids line, that I bought three years ago and still wear constantly. They are not even pilling more than some of my more expensive knitwear. Also I have been happy with my Benneton wool sweater, but I heard some place that the conditions for the workers in their factories were horrible, so I am probably not shopping there again.

My favourite basic tops are from Samsøe Samsøe which is a danish brand. Not sure if it is available in your location. The Bloch ballet flats can be bought on NAP.

For knitwear in a low price range I have had good experiences with H&Ms knits. I have 3 cashmere cardigans from their kids line, that I bought three years ago and still wear constantly. They are not even pilling more than some of my more expensive knitwear. Also I have been happy with my Benneton wool sweater, but I heard some place that the conditions for the workers in their factories were horrible, so I am probably not shopping there again.

I live in Holland. I assume a lot of you live in Scandinavia. I love the clothes in Scandinavia. You are spoiled with good quality clothes. I've been in Scandinavia many times and everyone seems to wear good clothes. In Hollan people in general are more messy/casual haha.

Thanks for the advise btw!

You are right. Soms of their knits are very good. Do you know that H&M has a premium quality line. I saw the silk blouse that I wanted to order in the shop today and I still really like it. I love the timeless knit of it. The seams were good and it wasn't see-through. It was from the Premium Quality line from H&M. I'm in doubt now because of your advises, and because it's from H&M.

http://www.hm.com/nl/product/09661?article=09661-C

You are right. Soms of their knits are very good. Do you know that H&M has a premium quality line. I saw the silk blouse that I wanted to order in the shop today and I still really like it. I love the timeless knit of it. The seams were good and it wasn't see-through. It was from the Premium Quality line from H&M. I'm in doubt now because of your advises, and because it's from H&M.

http://www.hm.com/nl/product/09661?article=09661-C

I would not buy silk items from H&M, even if they call it "premium quality". I think that their premium quality brand just refers to the fact that they use materials like silk, leather and different kinds of wool. And again, silk is not just silk.

The silk shirt I owned from H&M I only got to wear a few times before the seams started slipping and the fabric was ruined, even though the shirt was in no way tight.

Newbie!!

Dear All,

This is my first post to the Fashion Spot forum! You don't know me, but I think I know a little about you :smile: I've been following the 4-5 piece French wardrobe threads for some years now and although I myself haven't been able to contribute to the discussion, all YOU have been great support for me in both reconfiguring my attitude towards my wardrobe as well in keeping the resolution to buy only little, after consideration and the best possible quality!

Usually I'm a happy lurker at forums, quite contended with just reading and learning by myself, but sometime ago I started thinking how really nice it would be to actually be able to discuss with you fellow 4-5'ers about the decisions. After so many times I thought "oh they wouldn't accept me as a member, I'm just a nobody on the internets.." but finally, I was ready to bite the bullet and asked for the permission to join the forum.. <3

I really feel a bit uncomfortable talking about clothes with my friends: I don't think any of them would agree with me about the sensibility of nor the need for the 140 € cashmere vest or the 380 € boots. Only a few years ago also I thought (and had absolutely no choice!) that 14 € should be enough for a knitted vest and 38 € for a pair of shoes. I guess it still feels a bit frivolous to spend so much, and that's why I don't want to share detailed information about my dressing habits with my social circle. Thankfully my SO is on the same page with me, so I don't have to try to hide it at home :wink:

I don't want to make this post too long, but let me thank you again for the great thread. Just want to add that I too bought Genevieve Dariaux's A Guide to Elegance, because of Lina5's recommendation in the #1 thread, and that I loved the book. It sits on the bookshelf next to Tim Gunn's A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style, Anne Fogarty's Wife Dressing (another quirky vintage example) and a number of men's style books which belong to my SO but which I've found inspirational too. Would anyone have new book recommendations?

Welcome! I love new people:heart: My friends don't see what's wrong with a 10 dollar dress imported from china either:wink:

I like "Orchids on your budget" from the 30s. There is a chapter on how to make a small wardrobe work (this was the great depression era...), and even though a skirt and jacket "ensemble" is very outdated, I think the principles are sound. Very quirky indeed. I also liked "Parisian chic" by Ines De la fressange, although some of the chapters feel like advertisements. I also have Edith Heads "how to dress for success". I love these old books.

I am putting "Anne Fogarty's Wife Dressing" on my wishlist:D

Trenchcoat: I think Betina makes a sound argument. My impression about HM seams is not very good in general... Premium HM silk is still very inexpensive silk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->