The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrt shoes, ballets may not be the perfect first investment item for you right now, Trenchcoat. However, just because you're only planning to wear them for two months this year doesn't mean they're not a good candidate for investment longer term. That's two months of every year ...

Welcome, Peura, glad you finally joined us :smile:

I don't know much about marco Polo or Benneton, but I know that when you buy Ralph Lauren you are paying 70% just for the name... Thats not a good investment in my opinion. I think buying second hand or vintage will give you your moneys worth, but that is not for everyone...

Why do you think so, having quite a lot of designer items in your closet? Not that I don't agree with you, I wouldn't buy any designer item if not discounted (at least not with my current budget for clothing), but the quality cannot be compared to the high street brands imo. Except COS, I would say this brand is not ovepriced at all (they have pretty high prices for a high street brand anyway, more like higher middle range). The second HS brand I can't say anything bad of quality wise is Mango.

Speaking of silk shirts, I have surprisingly good experiences with H&M. Now I just own one of theirs, because I ruined one in a perfect greyish blue shade when painting with acrylic colour. :( I miss it so much, I know I would get an even more wear out of it than I did a few years ago. That's actually the reason why I'm on a hunt for a dark silk shirt now, I don' have any. I think I will pass on both Zara ones I looked at and afford a black one from Iris & Ink.
Never ordered anything from The Outnet, because the shipping costs turned me off (not to mention everything gets sold in smalles sizes in no time :rolleyes:), but I think this one will remain in stock since it's their own brand and they halved the shipping costs.
I searched ebay for Equipment shirts too but with no luck. A few Signature models are listed but I don't like the cut, it fits weird and the pockets are placed too high.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm inclined to agree about at least some Ralph Lauren ... I remember noticing 25 or more years ago how uneven his quality was from piece to piece. Now maybe that has changed ...

If the primary concern is quality, then I would completely agree about getting the high-end label out of the picture & going for something mid-range. One of the reasons I like some designer things is, you know, the design :wink: Designer is good for statement pieces.

But if you're willing to hunt--and we are all about the hunt--you can certainly find interesting and well-designed pieces in the mid-range from labels no one has ever heard of.

I have a number of things that I've seen knocked off, and the knockoff is never as good as the original, they dumb it down.

I've mentioned before that back in the days when I was thrifting, many times the labels had been cut out of things, I assume for comfort. That just drove me crazy, but it was also really good training. Looking at the label to determine quality is both lazy and misleading.

I will also say that the silk my Lanvin blouses are made of is like no other silk I've ever had. Other people notice too ... stop me & want to know where I got them. You'd really have to know your stuff to recognize the designer, but many people can see what beautiful fabric & colors they are.

I have other silk blouses from what I consider the low end, like Ann Taylor and Talbot's, things that cost around $100 or so. There is no comparison. They are both officially silk, but ... When I think that I got one of the good blouses from yoox for just several times the price of one of the inexpensive ones, I really wonder why I don't use the site more :wink:

Why do you think so, having quite a lot of designer items in your closet? Not that I don't agree with you, I wouldn't buy any designer item if not discounted (at least not with my current budget for clothing), but the quality cannot be compared to the high street brands imo. Except COS, I would say this brand is not ovepriced at all (they have pretty high prices for a high street brand anyway, more like higher middle range). The second HS brand I can't say anything bad of quality wise is Mango.

Speaking of silk shirts, I have surprisingly good experiences with H&M. Now I just own one of theirs, because I ruined one in a perfect greyish blue shade when painting with acrylic colour. :( I miss it so much, I know I would get an even more wear out of it than I did a few years ago. That's actually the reason why I'm on a hunt for a dark silk shirt now, I don' have any. I think I will pass on both Zara ones I looked at and afford a black one from Iris & Ink.
Never ordered anything from The Outnet, because the shipping costs turned me off (not to mention everything gets sold in smalles sizes in no time :rolleyes:), but I think this one will remain in stock since it's their own brand and they halved the shipping costs.
I searched ebay for Equipment shirts too but with no luck. A few Signature models are listed but I don't like the cut, it fits weird and the pockets are placed too high.

I have seen quite a lot of Ralph Lauren pieces in person, and I am very unimpressed with the brand. One of the things I remember seeing was a 900 usd blazer. The design was bland and the materials "meh". That price was baffeling to me:blink: The clothes were nice, but not 500 usd for a thin cashmere sweater-nice.

I don't think I have mentioned this, but I have always disliked logos, and Ralph Lauren puts his logo on everything:doh:

But if you have the money, why not? I do see the appeal of buying into the fantasy these brands try to create. I am quite enamoured with certain brands myself. Ralph Lauren is definitly one of those brands that try to sell you a lifestyle in a single jacket.

I do think that if you buy vintage or discounted, you get the lifestyle for the price it cost to make the actual item. I could not justify 1500 usd for a balenciaga, but I could justify 700 usd. And Balenciaga bags have the brand name on the inside where no one can see it. I can live with that:Pink:

(Sorry if this is all very unstructured. I am in the middle of a essay on comparative law and my brain has stopped working completely.)

I don't have COS:cry:

Fashionista-ta: I've ordered silk from online before, and one of the blouses actually felt like linen. It was pure silk - just really really bad silk.

^ What do you mean, just a lifestyle? Ralph Lauren is selling you an entire WASPy lineage :wink: It honestly amuses me when people buy into it. I especially feel that people who already have what he's selling might be well advised not to pay him for it, but hopefully he is laughing all the way to the bank.

I think yoox is best for buying labels you're already familiar with ... you know your size, the quality, etc. For that I think it can work very well, and you can always return things if they're not all you hoped for.

aargh, I just wrote a long post, and my computer ate it :(

anyway! welcome, Peura! A book I really like is 'The women we wanted to look like' by Bridget Keenan. I found it pretty cheap, so much inspiration!

About good brands for basics, I agree with Eizhowa that you need to take it item by item. I think good quality pieces can be found at nearly every brand, at nearly every price-point. But you have to root through a lot of bad stuff at H&M (not to mention any other reasons one might have for not shopping there), and a person only has so much time and energy :wink:
When I'm not doing a year-of-not-buying-new (like I am now), I like having a couple brands or stores that I know I can go to when I need something, and have a good chance of finding something right. So I understand your question, Trenchcoat! :flower:
For jeans, I've had good experience with Acne, Levi's and Hope. For t-shirts, I like Petit Bateau, American Vintage and the linnen t-shirts at Zara. I hear Isabel Marant's linnen t-shirts are worth the expense, though I have no experience with them.
I also really like the Dutch brand Humanoid, for... basically all their stuff :smile:

Thanks for all the advises! At the moment I am saving for my next big designer buy. I really want this Burberry wool coat. Off course I will wait for sale (we have two big stores in my city where they sell Burberry). But I really want this one. What do you think. Is it tricky to buy wool? Or is the quality so good that it will last forever.

Who has a burberry coat?

Burberry

I have seen quite a lot of Ralph Lauren pieces in person, and I am very unimpressed with the brand. One of the things I remember seeing was a 900 usd blazer. The design was bland and the materials "meh". That price was baffeling to me:blink: The clothes were nice, but not 500 usd for a thin cashmere sweater-nice.

I don't think I have mentioned this, but I have always disliked logos, and Ralph Lauren puts his logo on everything:doh:

But if you have the money, why not? I do see the appeal of buying into the fantasy these brands try to create. I am quite enamoured with certain brands myself. Ralph Lauren is definitly one of those brands that try to sell you a lifestyle in a single jacket.

I'm inclined to agree about at least some Ralph Lauren ... I remember noticing 25 or more years ago how uneven his quality was from piece to piece. Now maybe that has changed ...

Oh, I see, I thought you were talking about designer brands in general, not just Ralph, so I raised my eyebrow. :mrgreen: I never checked their quality because I'm not into their lifestyle :P and really dislike it's preppy design, so can't tell anything regarding that.
It's interesting Ralph Lauren is the most succesful fashion brand in the world though, makes the most profit. I guess that's because shirts from the Polo line are selling like hotcakes.
I would take Lacoste over RL one anytime.

Thanks for all the advises! At the moment I am saving for my next big designer buy. I really want this Burberry wool coat. Off course I will wait for sale (we have two big stores in my city where they sell Burberry). But I really want this one. What do you think. Is it tricky to buy wool? Or is the quality so good that it will last forever.

Who has a burberry coat?

http://postimage.org/
Burberry

What's tricky about wool is moths :wink: I have one ... mine is cotton twill (I think that's the right fabric ...) and has a wool lining. The collar lining and matching cashmere scarf were eaten by moths long ago. My understanding is that the quality was better before Burberry became a fashion brand. It may be that vintage would be an option for you.

R&N has a new one ... she can tell you about the quality of their new coats. Mine is from the 80s and no one believes that :wink: When it's back from the cleaners it looks new, the only place you can see the wear is the leather-covered buckles.

@Peura: welcome! It is always nice when new people join this thread! I will have to check out the vintage book you are mentioning - I love that sort of stuff.

What's tricky about wool is moths :wink: I have one ... mine is cotton twill (I think that's the right fabric ...) and has a wool lining. The collar lining and matching cashmere scarf were eaten by moths long ago. My understanding is that the quality was better before Burberry became a fashion brand. It may be that vintage would be an option for you.

R&N has a new one ... she can tell you about the quality of their new coats. Mine is from the 80s and no one believes that :wink: When it's back from the cleaners it looks new, the only place you can see the wear is the leather-covered buckles.

I love hearing about that trench of yours ta-ta. I would love to see some pictures:flower: I can't believe anything stylish came out of the 80s. I understand yours is very classic, but sometimes I picture huge shoulder pads etc. etc. :lol:

I think I'll aim to get a vintage Burberry one next fall. I am very pleased with my J crew double breasted wool coat, so I feel like that box is ticked off now. I noticed that they sell removable wool linings on Ebay. Maybe with some DIY I can make it work, even if I can't track down a trench with the original wool lining. I would also need petite sizes, and those seem to be avaialable vintage. Burberry does not offer petite sizes online:( Very torn about which length to get though. Mid-thigh is more flattering for everyday wear, but with heels, the long one is much better. I am glad I have a year to ponder about it:P

I think the pale grey/beige one pictured is beautiful, but I see why you are attracted to the black one. Black is very practical...

^ Mine is long. It's my real winter coat (which I'm going to need today), so it's good to have it long for warmth ...

Yes, it doesn't have shoulder pads. They have some shape to them, but not what everyone remembers of the 80s :wink: I well remember when everyone thought shoulder pads were the best thing since sliced bread because they'd make your waist look tiny :wink: I'll have to see if I can find a picture of one like mine. And one of these days I will get a camera ...

Welcome Peura!

Concerning the Burberry coats. I always look them through but they are never exciting/nice enough to tempt me to buy one. It's missing something, I don't know what, maybe it's like fashionista-ta said: nowadays the quality isn't that high anymore...

And Max Mara coats. They look lovely and the prices are reasonable I think, but I haven't found the perfect one. A bit the same as with Burberry.

Went shopping today and I bought nothing! :angry:
I wanted to buy different things, but I couldn't find a single item that tempted me. So I'm scouring the internet. :lol:
My hubby owns nice woolen sweaters from John Smedley and they also have a women range. It seems they are selling nice basics in cotton, wool and cashmere and many different colors. Does anyone have any experience with John Smedley? And what would be the best choice: cotton, wool or cashmere? The cashmere range is VERY expensive though.

And I'm eyeing Acne needle black jeans. Any experiences?

November Purchase

I loved the color of my Iris and Ink sweater, so I decided to get a thicker cashmere sweater in a similar color. This one is from N. Peal, and is a mid-weight knit. I am really excited to see how it looks in real life! I really want to add some more color into my wardrobe, and think shades of burgundy will work well with my complexion and existing wardrobe. I really like the ribbed details.

1dgj.jpg

Theoutnet

Thanks for the warm welcome, Betinapple, eizhowa, fashionista-ta, Nymphaea, and twistelette!

Its so nice to see all your pics. You know, because most of the images show only to members, I've had to imagine your style, but now the threads open up in a totally new way :smile:

Thanks for the book recommendations! Ines's and Keenan's book are new to me, so I'll look into them! I too love the vintage guides. In my late teens and early 20s I read them because I wanted to recreate the styles, but not anymore. Anyhow, I think there's always something new to be learned in every style book regardless of how old it might be. Perhaps one can't take the advice literally, but as eizhowa put it, "the principles are sound".

Eizhowa: I think I already have "Orchids" on my bookdepository-wishlist - possibly because of your earlier posting. It seems lovely! My finances are definitely in a perpetual recession, so it would, as a depression-time guide, be continuously topical for me :smile: And "Dress for success (for women)" was a stunner! I believe it was in its own time an important style guide, a bestseller, and I think most of its statements about how people see and interpret certain dressing are still current, at least in some fields of trade. And even if times had changed, _someone_ might still think so and therefore it would be usefull to be conscious about the issues.

Everyone, do keep posting new titles!

^ Mine is long. It's my real winter coat (which I'm going to need today), so it's good to have it long for warmth ...

Yes, it doesn't have shoulder pads. They have some shape to them, but not what everyone remembers of the 80s :wink: I well remember when everyone thought shoulder pads were the best thing since sliced bread because they'd make your waist look tiny :wink: I'll have to see if I can find a picture of one like mine. And one of these days I will get a camera ...

i would love to see a picture. Do you have the wool one? :;how is the lining and quality?

I have 3 Burberry now:1 trench, 1 red coat wool and one black. I love them to pieces.

I got one Neal peal in bright/canari yellow last sunmer during the sale. I love it but it is not as thick as I hoped so just like for theVanessa Bruno, I layer it and that's fine.

I really like the Zara basics Barbara recommended, I like my splendid and James Pearse top as well. I am starting to have go to brands and that's really nice. However now that I got a taste of couture, I am aiming to almost exclusively do that for shoes and cocktail dresses. Next step will be to find a designer who can do that for jackets/coats and more everyday wear.

Will post something longer trench coat with recs as soon as I can but either I have been very lucky or I am not as picky/knowledgeable as everyone here because I have rarely been disappointed by quality (but more by design - ie stuff I would get would not fit my body)

Welcome Peura!

Oh and before I forget: the myth that exotic leather don't fare well in bad weather is just that: a myth. I am having a couple of bespoke shoes made and my designer actually came to my house wearing the most gorgeous pair of red and black python boots and she said that exotic leather, stingrain etc were very very durable leather and did not care about bad weather with the proper products.

I think it was here where I asked if it would be ok to get snake skin louboutin sandals,

I forgot to ask her about suede but now that I found her I really doubt I will bother in the future with mainstream shoe makers so I will ask next time I see her !

Re Burberry: I make a distinction between Burberry Brit and Burberry London (Burberry Prorsum being way too out there for me :ninja: ). Burberry London is the actual brand/not made in china/with 100% wool etc

My hubby owns nice woolen sweaters from John Smedley and they also have a women range. It seems they are selling nice basics in cotton, wool and cashmere and many different colors. Does anyone have any experience with John Smedley? And what would be the best choice: cotton, wool or cashmere? The cashmere range is VERY expensive though.

My mother swears by John Smedley; I know she loves the wool and the cotton; super soft and excellent quality.

Burberry: I know nothing about Burberry trenchcoats. I have been recommended buying one, if I will be looking for spring - I still want to take the one I already have to the cleaners and see if they can remove the stain. I have heard that vintage Burberry trenchcoats are quite reasonably priced in Copenhagen.

@Peura:
I prefer cashmere over wool as I find it to be softer - and the risk of it being itchy is not as big as with wool. In my opinion. That being said, like with any other fabric I find that it really depends on the quality. I have wool items that are really nice - and soft and non-itchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->