The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember the blouse that taught me that 'on sale' doesn't mean 'good deal.' It was a silk blouse printed with roses, and I literally never wore it. Somehow I associate $189 with it ... whatever it cost, it was a total waste.

I pretty much focus on the item itself, and consider a sale gravy. I'm excited to get something at a discount, but it's not necessary.

I also more recently had that unfortunate experience with Luisa Via Roma ... they had put their Lanvin bags on sale only because they were damaged. Some people thought that was OK--I OTOH didn't want the damaged bag at any price and sent that baby right back (with a scorching note).

The shoes I hope to get on sale I would have paid full price for, but other things were higher on the list (and still are).

I had the same experience with Stylebop a while ago, remember? I ordered that beautiful Jason Wu sweater on sale but it was damaged in several places... SO ANNOYING!!! :angry: I guess that's the main reason why I prefer to do high end online shopping on net-a-porter, they've always been reliable - at least with me.

Ok, update ^_^. My list for this winter was:

• New jacket
  • Brown leather gloves
  • Long scarf
  • Shoes

Since I've been low on cash the last few months I didn't buy much. My jacket from last season still works fine, maybe I'll spot a nice one in the sales..
But so far the only jacktet I likes had a horrible fit on me, so maybe next year :unsure:
Same for shoes, I'll wear the pair I own through this winter. And I still have got a good pair of winterboots, even though it doesn't look like I'm going to need them this winter because it's still fall weather over here.

I did get a massive off-white scarf at H&M for this winter that will be perfect. And I really needed a new pair of trousers and got those at H&M to. Both great quality and the fit or sizing will be enough to shake up the stuff I already own.
And since I just spotted the brown leather gloves I've been eyeing on sale I might put those on my chrismaslist (or just get them myself.. :innocent:)

I used to go crazy on sales. Nowadays I do make mental lists on what to keep an eye on when the sales begin, but usually I think, that if I wouldn't have paid the full price, I do not want it that badly. Unless it is something that I simply couldn't afford at full price.

What brands do you prefer for ballerina flats? I really like the danish "Stylesnob" since their shoes are good quality at a good price and have a little "heel", in that sense that the shoe isn't completely flat, since that hurts my feet.

I am looking for a pair of classic red ballerinas like these, preferably in regular leather, not patent leather. I would like to not have to pay more than 200 dollars for them, but if the quality is good I can be pursuaded in to paying a little more. What would you recommend?

nqa935.jpg

pic via dindebat.dk

Last edited by a moderator:
What brands do you prefer for ballerina flats? I really like the danish "Stylesnob" since their shoes are good quality at a good price and have a little "heel", in that sense that the shoe isn't completely flat, since that hurts my feet.

I am looking for a pair of classic red ballerinas like these, preferably in regular leather, not patent leather. I would like to not have to pay more than 200 dollars for them, but if the quality is good I can be pursuaded in to paying a little more. What would you recommend?

pic via dindebat.dk

I've heard that French Sole and Repetto are good brands in that price range, and they have a huge variety of styles at any given time. I've never owned either brand, however.

I'm currently obsessed with this Dannijo necklace style: (pic Net-a-Porter).

However, the $400-$500 price tag is making me wait for a sale. I don't think I can quite justify shelling out that much for a piece of jewelry right now on my current budget. At least, not without saving up for it, rather than putting it on the credit card. Dannijo has the occasional sale, though, so I've been haunting their website.

I did just get the Ainitak necklace off of the Dannijo sale site, and I love it! It's somewhat understated, and the colors look nice with my skin. (pic: Dannijo)

Attachments

• dannijo.jpg
    dannijo.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
  • AINITAK 440.jpg
    AINITAK 440.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1
Shoestring: Nice necklaces! I prefer the first one! I guess chances are high that they'll be on sale at the end of the month on net-a-porter. Many of the accesories make it to the sales, that's why I'm mostly buying scarves on sale. I'm still eyeing at a necklace that has been on my wish list for month now, if it makes it to the sales I might get it (even though I already bought a piece of jewellery this season with my earrings).

Bettinaple: Last year I bought my first pair of Repettos and I really liked them. I think they are comfortable and classy and I'll very likely buy another pair sooner or later. However, even if they aren't in the price class of YSL, Chloé and Balenciaga, their quality isn't the best. The soles are paper thin, which is part of the style - but they aren't made to last forever. Actually, I'd even say they are a bit overpriced for what they are. So while I like them because they fit my feet very well I'm not sure I can fully recommend them. What about brands like Pretty Ballerinas? They have some nice styles. I'm currently admiring a pair of Chloé Ballerinas but I'm not sure they are good? Any experiences anyone?

Sales: I realize more and more that for me the biggest fun is actually thinking about what I could get. Making lists, remaking lists, thinking about possible combinations and looks. It's nice to actually buy something from time to time but I don't need everything I want. And when the sales come I realize there are actually very few pieces I still REALLY want after looking at them for a whole season. Much of the good stuff sells out quickly anyway.

@Shostring: thx :smile: those are the brands I'm looking into currently. If anyone have owned a pair of ballerinas from either of the brands, please tell :smile:

@RedAndNavy: That was what I was fearing. I need a sole that isn't to thin since it really hurts my feet and I don't want to spend 200 dollars on something that isn't worth the money. I think I'll check out pretty ballerinas.

ATM I'm not really a 4-5 piece wardrobe kind of gal. I thrift shop a lot, and even though I don't buy anything because "it is only 5 dollars", I seem to find a lot of good things ATM. Also ordered a pretty cheap party dress and ditto shoes. I like the whole concept of 5pfw but I do not want to restrain my thrifting and when I'm buying clothes that only will be used for parties (which i rarely do, since I like to be able to use all my clothes for several ocassions) I do not want to splurge. Point is: I'm definetely beyond my 5 items this seasons, but I still feel good since I'm buying less things than before, and things in a better quality - and 2nd hand clothes, which gives me the opportunity to have nice things that I couldn't afford from new.

I'm starting to think about SS12 and unfortunately a lot of the things I want are kind of expensive. I might have to prioritize and cut back on small purchases, but my current list looks like this
- Red ballet flats
- Yellow shoes. Ballet flats or brogues
- Acne Pistol Boots
- YSL mail clutch
- The perfect white dress, which I think I'll have a tailor make. I know a really good one who I think will be able to make one for about 100 dollars.

ATM the only thing I'm sure I'm going to get is the mail clutch that I've wanted forever. I would really like the red ballerinas since it is one of the things I miss in my wardrobe all the time, and the white dress, which I've been looking for for ages would be fantastic to have as well. I should be able to afford those three things and some thrifting :wink: Then the other shoes might'll have to wait.

I've decided to make it: 3-4 pieces in spring, 3-4 pieces in summer, 3-4 pieces in autumn and 3-4 pieces in winter. I think that's realistic for me. While I've bought only 5 pieces so far since june I think I'll buy three to four pieces at the end of the year. I think if I try to make a yearly list it's usually something like:

- 1 pair of denim, 1 pair of wool trousers
- 2 dresses
- 3 pair of shoes for different weather
- 4 tops for different weather (like a warm sweater, a cardigan, a tee and a blouse)
- 1 jacket or coat (my coats or jackets always last at least 5-6 year, so if I only buy one every two years I feel I get through with it)
- 1 piece of jewellery
- 2-3 accessories (like bags, scarves, wallets, umbrellas)

I think that's something I should easily be able to live with.

Betinapple, take a look at the Swedish Hasbeens website (or endless.com has them, too). They have some ballet flats that look like they have a thick leather sole and a slight (1-2cm) heel. I have some Hasbeens clog sandals and I love them, but they are quite different from the ballet flats, so can't tell you much about them.

R&N, I like your idea to make Fall one season and Winter another, etc. :smile: I always wondered with this thread if it was 4-5 items twice a year or four times a year....

I thought it was 4-5 pieces twice a year. But I think if it's only twice a year I'd need six pieces. Even if I buy good quality I still need a certain amount to keep everything fresh looking. I mean, one wool sweater, one tee, one blouse and one cardigan doesn't sound like a great amount per year, does it? But I think I need that. Usually, my pieces last at least 5 years, so I do have around five tees, five cardigans, five sweaters and five blouses in my closet and that's perfectly enough but still no excess in my opinion. I do wear my blue jeans a lot so they look worn out after a year or two, but that's okay. They just need regular replacement.

I think I need realistic goals to keep them. And 12 to 16 pieces a year sound realistic to me. But I do include pretty much everything into them, even things like an umbrella or staples like blue jeans. Actually I've been living very well on one great piece per month, that's all I need to feel great :smile:

Is there anyway to look at a sweater and determine whether or not it's likely to pill? I recently bought several merino wool sweaters from J Crew, and sure enough, after about 10 wears apiece they are starting to pill. Yet I bought a merino wool cardigan from Banana Republic in the same price range and it's a year and a half old and still looks brand new. So frustrating.

Is there anyway to look at a sweater and determine whether or not it's likely to pill? I recently bought several merino wool sweaters from J Crew, and sure enough, after about 10 wears apiece they are starting to pill. Yet I bought a merino wool cardigan from Banana Republic in the same price range and it's a year and a half old and still looks brand new. So frustrating.

Yes, there is, because I can do it ... but I don't know if I can explain it. I just can look at a sweater and I get a feeling about whether it's going to pill.

Last time I thought that it was Ann Taylor sweaters that are a furblend and also include cashmere. I thought they looked too soft. I bought them anyway because I really liked them & they fit well. They do indeed pill, but the pills are large and easy to remove.

I too have had good luck with Banana Republic. J Crew doesn't really fit me ...

Yes, there is, because I can do it ... but I don't know if I can explain it. I just can look at a sweater and I get a feeling about whether it's going to pill.

Last time I thought that it was Ann Taylor sweaters that are a furblend and also include cashmere. I thought they looked too soft. I bought them anyway because I really liked them & they fit well. They do indeed pill, but the pills are large and easy to remove.

I too have had good luck with Banana Republic. J Crew doesn't really fit me ...

Sometimes I can tell by how much "fuzz" there is on the sweater, but other times it's a complete mystery.

I know synthetics tend to pill as a rule, but on the other hand I've had a lot of luck with several different brands that make sweaters out of a blend of cashmere, acrylic, wool, and a little angora. Sounds like a recipe for a pill-fest, but the cheap H&M sweaters and more expensive Halogen (Nordstrom brand) sweaters I've had from this blend have worn like iron and had zero pills. Sadly, my 100% cashmere sweaters at many different price points almost invariably pill rather quickly. And cotton sweaters from Talbots look terrible after a few washes and wears (and that's hand-washing them in cold water). Sigh.

@RedAndNavy: seems like a good decision and a good list. Actually 16 pieces seems like a lot, even though I'm probably buying more. I could stick to one good item pr. month however, if I didn't enjoy thrifting so much. I really aggree about the realistic goals, I just don't know what is realistic for me ATM. When I look at the list of what I've bought this season it looks like a lot, but I know I'm shopping less than before, and that's what's important for me. Hopefully I can shop even less over time.

@Shostringtravel: thx for the info. I'll check it out :smile:

Well, stalking the Dannijo bib necklace on Net-a-Porter paid off! Just last night they discounted it to 50% of the original price, and I snatched it up. Can't wait to receive it and wear it!

Well, stalking the Dannijo bib necklace on Net-a-Porter paid off! Just last night they discounted it to 50% of the original price, and I snatched it up. Can't wait to receive it and wear it!

Cool, congratulations!! Can't wait to hear how you like it! (Are you shopping on the US net-a-porter side?)

Congrats on the necklace! :clap: That's awesome you got it at such a discount!

The store I work at is having some major sales right now, with some pants and dresses as low as $3. It's so hard to resist, being around it all the time. :ninja: But I always do that and I end up spending as much money on 10 worthless pieces as I could on one super nice piece.

Thanks, RedandNavy and ScarlettLover!

Yeah, the sales season is hard to resist.

I just cleaned out my closet today, and looked at all of the "bargains" I got over the last six months. On the other hand, there are some good things in there, too, that have surprised me how well they lasted. Like two H&M angora/cashmere/synthetic/wool blend $30 sweaters that have yet to begin pilling, and have a flattering cut. I had pretty low expectations for those two, but I can say that they've held up quite well!

Also, I took a gamble and hand-washed a J.Crew silk blouse that said 'dry clean only.' It was a little too big for me, and after washing it and the shrinking that goes with washing silk, it now fits perfectly. I just hope it doesn't keep shrinking the next time I wash it!

Caring for your garments seems to be a big part of making this reduced wardrobe philosophy work. Yet so many things are made to not launder very well. Merino wool and silk and cotton denim jeans that aren't pre-shrunk, so you're forced to dry clean or hope that things turn out okay in the wash/hand wash, and buy a size too large, hoping they'll shrink correctly. If anyone has any good tips on caring for things, I'd love to hear them!

Sometimes I can tell by how much "fuzz" there is on the sweater, but other times it's a complete mystery.

I know synthetics tend to pill as a rule, but on the other hand I've had a lot of luck with several different brands that make sweaters out of a blend of cashmere, acrylic, wool, and a little angora. Sounds like a recipe for a pill-fest, but the cheap H&M sweaters and more expensive Halogen (Nordstrom brand) sweaters I've had from this blend have worn like iron and had zero pills. Sadly, my 100% cashmere sweaters at many different price points almost invariably pill rather quickly. And cotton sweaters from Talbots look terrible after a few washes and wears (and that's hand-washing them in cold water). Sigh.

I have cotton sweaters from Talbots that have done very well ... also have a Halogen sweater that's doing fairly well.

As far as garment care, I send everything to a very good & reliable green dry cleaner. I take things only when they need to go (spots, major wrinkles, major lint attack, etc.), and go whenever I have 3 or more clothing items (I also take some household items like curtains, slipcovers, etc.). I launder myself the things I wear at home, sheets, and towels (except for embroidered ones), but things I wear out I have cleaned. I think having a good dry cleaner (and tailor) is as important as having a good plumber and electrician.

I don't enjoy ironing, so I started doing this as soon as I got my first real job. To me, it is very worth it.

It's quite true that for some garments I spend more on cleaning over the life of the garment than I paid originally. Of course, they don't charge more for a more expensive item (unless it's a coat or something like that, and then it doesn't matter what it cost). I just consider it a necessary cost. And a good dry cleaner definitely extends the life of a garment, which saves me shopping time (and hassle).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->