The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree with Cheepmunk in some points, definitely. I must say I never regretted spending money on trips but I did sometimes regret some of the money spent on clothes and shoes.

I also observed that it isn't easy to get timeless pieces. I still like to buy good quality but I think I only buy few pieces now and then wear them a lot. Before, I bought much more and I felt the need for more variety and I also wanted to save my good pieces. But truth is, they don't get better with time. So now I wear the things at the moment when I really love them and at the same time I buy much less.

For me, my goal is to age in style :wink: I mean, to care even if I'm not twenty anymore and to still try to keep an eye on fashion. But it's not to be trendy or to be most creative in the bunch. I can live with repetitiveness now :smile:

Tata: of course I remember the Lanvin blouse! I thought you had bought another one.

@Cheepmunk: you're so right. Finding REALLY classic pieces can be difficult.

@Red and Navy: You're right. ATM I'm not spending any money on clothes anyway, since I don't need and more importantly; don't FEEL that I need it. I am looking forward to just being able to go thrifting again :wink:

I work at H&M (might have mentioned it before?) and have worked retail for 5 going on 6 years now. Most people do not dress up cause all we do is run around like crazy people. I come dressed almost every single day. Blazers. Ralph Lauren button ups. Motorcycle boots. Most of my stuff is thrifted or from ebay so maybe that's why I don't worry much but I love it all the same. My coworkers and the customers always notice how I dress and I say where else am I going to where it? I'm here 5 sometimes 6 days a week. I don't go clubbing or anything. So when will it get used?

I think it's true that most things are 'of the moment' in one way or another, but I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. We're right here right now--might as well enjoy it. I try to avoid trendy (or perhaps it tries to avoid me :wink:), but to me it's a lot more important to find a strong or unique piece than a timeless piece.

I saw the John Paul Gaultier show at the DMA today ... the influence of fashion was nearly imperceptible--it was all driven by his aesthetic and interests. His teddy bear was there, with lipstick and a concentric 'cone' bra made of newspaper :lol: Her original lace skirt (made of Grandma's doily) had gone missing.

I think it's definitely possible to dress the same way, with your own aesthetic overriding and being much more important than the influence of fashion.

@Aldn: I experience the same thing a lot. My style is very ladylike with midiskirts, high heels, lipstick etc.

@Ta-ta: I aggree. AND I do not mind looking back in 10 years thinking "what was I thinking?", cause I had my fun with it AND I've discovered that even though I won't wear a certain look anymore I still get it and find it chic.

care2

Thought you guys might enjoy reading about Patagonia's 'Don't buy this jacket' Black Friday ad ...

http://www.care2.com/causes/retailer-says-dont-buy-our-stuff.html

PS Be sure to watch the Common Threads video.

2888935.large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Very interesting and clever marketing ploy. Perhaps a bit gimmicky but it definitely grabs attention and creates buzz. I liked the video a lot, it has a very nice message. I really wish more companies would step up and promote a cleaner living with less waste, then ads like these would be seen as less of a 'clever strategy' by a company and more of a movement. But alas, as the mentality of 'more is more' has such a hold on the market these days I'm not too sure if we'll see that day any time soon unfortunately. :P

Thanks for sharing! :flower:

My coworkers and the customers always notice how I dress and I say where else am I going to where it? I'm here 5 sometimes 6 days a week. I don't go clubbing or anything. So when will it get used?

So true. I have to get out of my habit of "saving it until I can wear it" for something special, yadda yadda yadda. Then a year or two goes by, I put it on, and it doesn't fit, or looks dated, or whatnot. :P I'm a bit financially better off than I used to be, and I think it's a holdover from the days when I had nothing to wear and no money to buy clothes with. Now I've just got to force myself to wear it, risk the stains/tears/wear, and suck it up when it does eventually wear out and discard it.

Why does that feel so hard? :unsure:

Okay, this week I'm the one to confess a purchass that wasn't planned... :-)

I've always loved those arty rings by YSL but big rings aren't for my tiny fingers. So when these earrings came in this week I couldn't stop myself since I do like statement earrings to freshen up simple clothes.

So here they are, freshly arrived at my home and I confess they were nowhere on my list of absolute must-haves... :blush:

I might have to cancel the planned necklace instead but I really needed a bit of a jewellery update.

But now I won't shop until the sales start, I have a few items in mind for that moment...

(Pic by net-a-porter.com)

Attachments

• ysl_earrings.jpg
    ysl_earrings.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3
I think it's true that most things are 'of the moment' in one way or another, but I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. We're right here right now--might as well enjoy it. I try to avoid trendy (or perhaps it tries to avoid me :wink:), but to me it's a lot more important to find a strong or unique piece than a timeless piece.

I saw the John Paul Gaultier show at the DMA today ... the influence of fashion was nearly imperceptible--it was all driven by his aesthetic and interests. His teddy bear was there, with lipstick and a concentric 'cone' bra made of newspaper :lol: Her original lace skirt (made of Grandma's doily) had gone missing.

I think it's definitely possible to dress the same way, with your own aesthetic overriding and being much more important than the influence of fashion.

After reading your post, I realized that this is how I feel about the clothes I had 10 or 20 years ago, but not the clothes I have now. I wonder if this is why I feel so cranky about buying these days: almost nothing in the current set of what is trendy appeals to me. If someone dumped my wardrobe from 10 years ago in my lap, as awful as it was, I'd proboably roll around in the pile of clothes like a pig in mud. And then I'd layer them all on at the same time and walk out of the house looking like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man. I loved them that much.

R&N, those earrings are cute. (And they sort of match your username. Hee!)

nordstrom

If I have the budget for it, I love to buy a new piece of jewelry and a new perfume each season. You can wear both with everything you already have, and they make everything feel fresh.

I bought the PJs and tights as planned ... they seemed to just have plain styles from DKNY, so I bought plain black. Am going to try a different store for additional styles. Got these PJs ...

plus another flannel pair with multicolored peace signs that they don't have online. The first pair is a cotton/rayon knit with grosgrain trim and so comfortable! Mission accomplished.

Awww, yesterday I was wearing three of the four pieces that I bought this season: My Sonia by Sonia Rykiel dress, my brown boots and those new earrings. I felt SO pretty and so perfectly happy with my purchases!!! I never bought them to create one outfit but they match perfectly. :heart:

Now at the moment I am preparing myself for the sales. I'm going through my wishlists and think what would really be a great thing to buy with a reduction and where should I be careful. I think I've been more focused with my style recently and I don't want the sales to make me lose this focus. So I guess it's good to be prepared, so I don't lose my mind over a reduction tag... :D

(I still need denim and trousers. I decided to buy them at the end of the year when we go to Germany since prieces there are better than in Switzerland. I hardly buy any clothes in Switzerland anymore. We often pay the double price for the same pieces than in Euroland, it's so annoying...)

Tata: Nice pyjamas!! And when I opened the link there was a pop up stating that Nordstrom is now shipping to Switzerland. Hurray!! :woot:

I finally got my striped tee! It was rediculously cheap (20 dollars) and bought at my grocery store, but it is made from the exact same material as my favourite basic tops, and I've heard great things about these as well, so I'm very happy. It is acutally long enough to be a dress as well, which is perfect for me. Now I'm contemplating buying another on just to be sure that I will be stocked up on striped tees for a loooong time.

^ Very interesting and clever marketing ploy. Perhaps a bit gimmicky but it definitely grabs attention and creates buzz. I liked the video a lot, it has a very nice message. I really wish more companies would step up and promote a cleaner living with less waste, then ads like these would be seen as less of a 'clever strategy' by a company and more of a movement. But alas, as the mentality of 'more is more' has such a hold on the market these days I'm not too sure if we'll see that day any time soon unfortunately. :P

Thanks for sharing! :flower:

You're welcome :flower: I really liked the video ... I thought it stated beautifully what I am trying to do, and was very relevant to what a lot of people have said here about their changing attitudes to shopping ...

Awww, yesterday I was wearing three of the four pieces that I bought this season: My Sonia by Sonia Rykiel dress, my brown boots and those new earrings. I felt SO pretty and so perfectly happy with my purchases!!! I never bought them to create one outfit but they match perfectly. :heart:

Now at the moment I am preparing myself for the sales. I'm going through my wishlists and think what would really be a great thing to buy with a reduction and where should I be careful. I think I've been more focused with my style recently and I don't want the sales to make me lose this focus. So I guess it's good to be prepared, so I don't lose my mind over a reduction tag... :D

(I still need denim and trousers. I decided to buy them at the end of the year when we go to Germany since prieces there are better than in Switzerland. I hardly buy any clothes in Switzerland anymore. We often pay the double price for the same pieces than in Euroland, it's so annoying...)

What a great feeling! :heart:

I love Nordstrom, hopefully the shipping isn't too much & you'll be able to get some nice things.

So any plans on how to behave during sales this year or have they already started where you are?

I bought five pieces in total this season: My mustard colored Acne pistols, my chocolate riding boots, two dresses and the earrings. All were on the list except those earrings, but they'll replace the necklace on the list I guess :blush:

I still need pants and denim, at the very least pair. I plan to pay a pair of jeans in Germany as I've mentioned, maybe the pants have to wait still. I'd also like to buy maybe 2-3 pieces in sales... There are several lovely things I have had on my wish list all season long and they still seem right. They are, however, a bit overshadowed by the lovely spring summer things that are already hitting stores... :innocent: I must admit I always feel so attracted to those early spring summer clothes, they seem like a promise of better (warmer) times. :rolleyes:

So it'll be tough to prioritize this sales season. There is a coat that I have been eyeing at for a long time and it seems perfect, but there is only one piece left and I'm not so sure it'll make it to the sales. It's too expensive at full price. And there are several lovely tops. And dresses of course... But if I buy the coat I won't be able to buy anything else.

I kind of have to think carefully before the sale starts because I don't want to go crazy because of reduction tags. How do you handle that?

I personally pretty much buy everything on sale. Usually I do the same thing as you. Taking mental notes every time I see something new that I like. I will wait and wait and wait to see what makes it to the sales. In the case of Urban Outfitters and Gap, I will wait until they do additional percentage off the sales price if I can. Before I would just see SALE! and buy because hey it's $10, what's the harm in that? But now, If I didn't care for the garment much when it was full price why should I buy it now? Also I don't try most things on until I am ready to buy and a lot of the times the things just don't work out the same as they did in my head. This year I waited for the final round of reductions at Opening Ceremony to pounce on chunky wood sole boots and oxfords only for the biggest size to not fit.

I still remember the blouse that taught me that 'on sale' doesn't mean 'good deal.' It was a silk blouse printed with roses, and I literally never wore it. Somehow I associate $189 with it ... whatever it cost, it was a total waste.

I pretty much focus on the item itself, and consider a sale gravy. I'm excited to get something at a discount, but it's not necessary.

I also more recently had that unfortunate experience with Luisa Via Roma ... they had put their Lanvin bags on sale only because they were damaged. Some people thought that was OK--I OTOH didn't want the damaged bag at any price and sent that baby right back (with a scorching note).

The shoes I hope to get on sale I would have paid full price for, but other things were higher on the list (and still are).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->