The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was an interesting take on a basic wardrobe, by the French blogger Garance Dore, from her blog by the same name:

From Kaysi : Garance!!! Do you have any advice for creating a minimalist, functional, and fabulous wardrobe?

Mmmm… Kaysi, even if I dream of having a minimalist, functional, and fabulous wardrobe, most mornings I find myself buried under a mountain of clothes – outfits literally falling on top of me – I can never find anything and everything’s lost.

I usually just end up wearing the last thing I bought (right now, a pair of grey jeans and Fratelli Rossetti shoes) just because they’re on top of the pile.

That said, I could never dare to imagine just how happy I would be if every time I opened my closet, I found the following clothes, folded neatly and organized by color:

• Black cashmere turtlenecks. I still haven’t found the perfect one.
• Grey v-neck cashmere sweaters – Bompard makes the deepest Vs – I just love them.
• Silk shirts from Equipment, of course.
• Church’s flats. Three pairs.
• One pair of sublime very high heels, black, like the Pigalles by Louboutin – Yeah, only one! If they’re that sublime, they’ll be enough!
• Grey skinny jeans. White skinny jeans. Helmut Lang, the denim is the thinnest I’ve ever felt.
• One pair of boyfriend jeans.
• Two blazers, one black, the other marine blue. Stella.
• A straight-cut skirt, Céline.
• A Sarti scarf, light as a cloud. I’ll take a quick picture for you as I’m wearing one right now.
• A dress, Alaïa or Roland Mouret. Never goes out of style.
• A big coat, camel or grey.
• And a military parka – light and long.

And I’d go wild with accessories. A hat. Red socks. A pair of amazing sunglasses. A purse to die for. Bright nail-polish. Cause minimalistic is good but still, some girls are just born with glitter in their veins… ;-)

Don’t you think ?

Ok, so that was my version of functional and fabulous… What is yours ?

I thought this was an interesting take on a basic wardrobe, by the French blogger Garance Dore, from her blog by the same name:

That would never work for me. Too few items and really out of my comfort zone regarding style.

I did however made up a concept called "The 30 Item Wardrobe". It is just an experiment if you COULD live with only 30 items (excluding bags, underwear, stockings, socks, accesories, scarves etc.) but I really like the idea. Doing it in real life would be hard on me though, but I would like to work towards that goal. Maybe.

What Garance says is not my idea of a perfect wardrobe either, but, the important part is what she says about finding the best. She also mentions go-to labels and designers, which is also really helpful. For buying anything, if you have a store or a label/designer (or several) as a starting point, that helps you get to fabulous faster than if you're starting from scratch every time you think about what you want/need.

Barney's for example is so well-curated that I can either find something I like, or quickly determine that what I want just isn't there.

I am really picky about fragrance, for example ... it's so hard for me to find something I like, and it just doesn't happen at Nordstrom, with all the mainstream stuff.

Barney's turned me on to Fresh, and now I just go to the Fresh store & own three of their fragrances.

You need ways to winnow down the zillions of choices (most of them bad).

I think the concept can apply no matter your style or item preference. Like how I wear separates almost exclusively--just wore one of my I think two dresses last weekend! it's a transitional item--and RedandNavy loves dresses.

I think I like the 4-5 concept for two reasons.

First, I really love good quality designer clothes but I don't want to ruin myself and eat dry bread to afford a pair of Miu Miu shoes. So if I want to buy good stuff but still be reasonable with my spendings I can only limit myself. (I also visit sales and outlets but sometimes I do like an item without reduction).

Second, I've read so many times that a good wardrobe has only few items but the right ones. This is the challenging part. Honestly, I like the idea of a small wardrobe but somehow I still couldn't believe that it really works. Somehow it feels like girls with 5 dressing rooms advocate this rule but don't live by it. So I just want to try: Does dressing really get easier with few pieces? It still hurts to see how my wardrobe gets smaller and smaller BUT so far it has been a success to throw away more things than I replace. It really helps to keep my focus on what works so I think I will go on with the experiment.

I don't really have a list of the things I need to have in my wardrobe as the ones you guys discussed (although maybe I should try). But I do agree it would be an individual list. Everyone seems to advocate white shirts, for example, but I don't think they are an ideal item for me. Nor ar pencil skirts. As fashionista observed I like dresses and I still feel the need to move my wardrobe more into a dresses wardrobe. I bought too many separates in the past when in fact nothing looks more charming on me than a dress. So I think I'll continue focusing on dresses, classy and simple pants and colorful tops. That's what seems to work for me.

And I do agree with fashionista that it is about quality and finding the best. It's better to wait than to buy something you aren't totally in love with.

I think I like the 4-5 concept for two reasons.

First, I really love good quality designer clothes but I don't want to ruin myself and eat dry bread to afford a pair of Miu Miu shoes. So if I want to buy good stuff but still be reasonable with my spendings I can only limit myself. (I also visit sales and outlets but sometimes I do like an item without reduction).

Second, I've read so many times that a good wardrobe has only few items but the right ones. This is the challenging part. Honestly, I like the idea of a small wardrobe but somehow I still couldn't believe that it really works. Somehow it feels like girls with 5 dressing rooms advocate this rule but don't live by it. So I just want to try: Does dressing really get easier with few pieces? It still hurts to see how my wardrobe gets smaller and smaller BUT so far it has been a success to throw away more things than I replace. It really helps to keep my focus on what works so I think I will go on with the experiment.

I don't really have a list of the things I need to have in my wardrobe as the ones you guys discussed (although maybe I should try). But I do agree it would be an individual list. Everyone seems to advocate white shirts, for example, but I don't think they are an ideal item for me. Nor ar pencil skirts. As fashionista observed I like dresses and I still feel the need to move my wardrobe more into a dresses wardrobe. I bought too many separates in the past when in fact nothing looks more charming on me than a dress. So I think I'll continue focusing on dresses, classy and simple pants and colorful tops. That's what seems to work for me.

And I do agree with fashionista that it is about quality and finding the best. It's better to wait than to buy something you aren't totally in love with.

This is so true. I also aggree that it is very individual what you NEED in your wardrobe. All basic-wardrobe-guides says that you need jeans and white tee's. I stopped wearing jeans. I don't feel comfortable in them, and I don't need them. I've never owned a white t-shirt for other things than sleeping in it. I don't think I look good in t-shirts. So don't follow rules that does not fit YOU. I have not made a list of what my wardrobe should contain, but looking on what I wear the most my current wardrobe essentials is a simple, tight, black dress with long sleeves, striped shirts, black suede pumps, black flats, brogues a grey sweater, cardigans, midiskirts and a great bag.

It would be silly for me to have the same target wardrobe as a girl with a Kate Moss-ish look. I have no use for jeans, white t-shirts and bikerboots.

ta-ta Yeah, I'd like to blame it on a lifestyle change :lol: but the truth is, I don't actually need to dress very formally at my new workplace, I could actually just show up in jeans and a sweater and it'd be no problem, but I do feel a bit better when I'm turned out a little smarter. OTOH, another reason for wanting more options is that working means less free time and more laziness to do anything useful during that free time, and thus doing laundry less frequently. :innocent:

Shoestring I love merino wool - in fact, a thrifted J.Crew cardigan was my first introduction to it. I wish I could get good quality merino or cashmere knits locally, for a reasonable price, but alas, have to look online for that.

betina Which camera did you get? I'm contemplating saving up for a new camera, the one I have currently is a compact, but I feel like I've outgrown it by now and would really like something a bit more advanced and of better quality.
I don't wear jeans either, I rarely wear any type of trousers, but when I do, I prefer them to be loose and soft. Like RedandNavy, I used to be all about dresses, but nowadays I mostly do skirts and tops. If I made an essentials list, mine would probably be 1) a couple of statement skirts, 2) simple tops and sweaters to balance out the skirts.

ta-ta Yeah, I'd like to blame it on a lifestyle change :lol: but the truth is, I don't actually need to dress very formally at my new workplace, I could actually just show up in jeans and a sweater and it'd be no problem, but I do feel a bit better when I'm turned out a little smarter. OTOH, another reason for wanting more options is that working means less free time and more laziness to do anything useful during that free time, and thus doing laundry less frequently. :innocent:

Shoestring I love merino wool - in fact, a thrifted J.Crew cardigan was my first introduction to it. I wish I could get good quality merino or cashmere knits locally, for a reasonable price, but alas, have to look online for that.

betina Which camera did you get? I'm contemplating saving up for a new camera, the one I have currently is a compact, but I feel like I've outgrown it by now and would really like something a bit more advanced and of better quality.
I don't wear jeans either, I rarely wear any type of trousers, but when I do, I prefer them to be loose and soft. Like RedandNavy, I used to be all about dresses, but nowadays I mostly do skirts and tops. If I made an essentials list, mine would probably be 1) a couple of statement skirts, 2) simple tops and sweaters to balance out the skirts.

I got a nikon d3100. Great camera and also has a great videofunction (HD and great sound). Love it. Best purchase ever.

I used to wear dresses all the time too, but right now I like having seperates that can be mixed and matched into a LOT of outfits, so over the last year I've purchased a lot of skirts. My problem now is that I need blouses that are more dressy, to go with the skirts. At the moment I've got mostly basic l/s tops and cardigans, 1 white shirt, 1 fuschia pussybow blouse and 1 not-so-basic cardigan.

I would like something maroon/dark fuschia or jade green but I have a hard time finding it.

I realize that seperates are much more practical and easier to be combined than dresses. A dress is a dress while there are many ways to combine skirts with tops. But I realize more and more that my tiny frame looks better in dresses. Somehow the skirts tend to cut me into pieces. When I wear seperates it's pants / jeans and tops. That is a great thing for me. Skirts never make me look my best.

I realize that seperates are much more practical and easier to be combined than dresses. A dress is a dress while there are many ways to combine skirts with tops. But I realize more and more that my tiny frame looks better in dresses. Somehow the skirts tend to cut me into pieces. When I wear seperates it's pants / jeans and tops. That is a great thing for me. Skirts never make me look my best.

I think that it is a matter of preference too. I love being able to make many different looks with my wardrobe and that is easier with seperates than with dresses. If you enjoy having few but good looks dresses, even the not so versataile ones are great. That said, I do love my dresses.

Just wanted to note that you can layer a dress ... either putting a top underneath & wearing it like a jumper (I do this with the dress I mentioned), or putting a cardigan on top like Michelle Obama does. I think she gets a very different look without the cardigan or bolero ...

Just wanted to note that you can layer a dress ... either putting a top underneath & wearing it like a jumper (I do this with the dress I mentioned), or putting a cardigan on top like Michelle Obama does. I think she gets a very different look without the cardigan or bolero ...

I aggree. Depending on the dress you can use it as a skirt too. I've got a dress that is a bit too va-va-voom for everyday use (for me at least), but when using it under a skirt og with a sweater on top it works great. However, that do still seperate the upper and lower part of the body from each other. I thing cardigangs or small jackets (chanel style) would go great with Red&Navy's look, if I remember correct.

Btw., I love that there is so much activity in here these days :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Agree :smile:

I have just bought the one blouse so far this season (and really love it). Am about to stock up on PJs, tights, lingerie, etc. during Nordstrom's annual 5x loyalty points event for Christmas. I have tossed out my raggedy PJs from last winter and now am down to I think 3 bottoms :innocent: So I gotta do something about that. Have also tossed out several pairs of tights that are no longer wearable.

I have my eye on a pair of shoes ... will see if they're still available when I get to them :wink:

^ Agree :smile:

I have just bought the one blouse so far this season (and really love it). Am about to stock up on PJs, tights, lingerie, etc. during Nordstrom's annual 5x loyalty points event for Christmas. I have tossed out my raggedy PJs from last winter and now am down to I think 3 bottoms :innocent: So I gotta do something about that. Have also tossed out several pairs of tights that are no longer wearable.

I have my eye on a pair of shoes ... will see if they're still available when I get to them :wink:

I think I'm pretty good ATM. I need new tights and I'm going to order 4 pairs of fleecetights on ebay when I get my payment for December. I'll have to buy some thinner ones too for evening use since those do not go very well with open shoes.

I definetely need new underwear as well but I think I'll replace it a little at a time, starting when the sales begin even though I might have to pay full price for bra's since my size is a bit off.

Other than that I don't NEED anything. I really miss going through thriftstores but I'm waiting untill we pass the first of December since that is my weak spot and I'm not supposed to be shopping for another week, which have been no biggie. I still have my eyes on the pistols but not so much that I'm not able to wait. I do have the money for them soon but I have other things that I'd rather spend 'em on

Yep, cardigans are definitely something that always works in my wardrobe and I think I must stock up on them. I more and more know what kind of wardrobe I dream of:

- knee length dresses in vibrant, warm colors
- solid tops in warm green, purple, mustard yellow and teal, part of them cardigans and others simply cut tees and long sleeves and turtle necks
- a few tops or dresses with simple prints like polka dots, stripes or other small scale graphic prints
- some tops in warm neutrals like camel, chocolate brown and navy
- subdued, neutral and simple pants in wool and dark wash denim
- black opaque tights
- shoes for different occasions in both neutral and colorful hues, classic shapes like pumps, riding boots and loafers to go with jeans
- accessories like belts and bags in simple cuts but great materials

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Now THAT is what I dream of! Have lots of warm colors and vibrant colors in my wardrobe but always in simple, flattering cuts.

Currently I see TONES of lovely things on online shopping sides, I think it's a great time for me :P But I've really learned to be patient now and take everything step by step. It has been a good experience that I don't need to worry if something I crave for sells out... There are always new items that I truly love! B)

Ta-ta: Would you mind sharing a pic of the blouse?

Betinapple: So what do you want instead of the boots?

@Red and Navy: your wardrobe sounds great and very YOU.

I'm not sure that I would want to spend them on clothing at all, and actually I'm not sure wether I would wan't to spend that amount of money on clothing right now because of my current income. I still would rather want a few quality pieces than a lot of H&M, Topshop etc. clothing, but they are in the high end of my clothing budget. I'm contemplating using the money on a weekend getaway for me and my boyfriend or simply saving them for a time where I'll need it. Boring but maybe more responsible and even though I love new clothes I've discovered that nothing makes me feel better than knowing that I'm being clever with my money.

I say spend the money on a trip, or save it. Do you really need more clothes, especially clothes that are going to be out of style soon anyway? (Maybe you do, I don't know, but it's just something I've started asking myself when I'm trying to decide where to spend my money. More often than not, the answer has been trip, or books, or furniture, or nice dinner.)

I haven't been in here much. I ended up leaving half my clothes with my SO on another continent, and then we broke up. Part of me keeps waiting for him to get off his butt and send them, and part of me is actually glad it's taking him so long. These were my nice clothes, the ones that were staples of my wardrobe. Except for the basics that I brought with me in my suitcase, the stuff that was left at home (that I'm wearing now) were the dregs. But my life has been plodding along perfectly fine wearing these clothes; they're actually quite nice. I just never noticed them before amidst the fancier stuff.

And I know that when I wear through these, I've got an entire complete wardrobe waiting for me (if it ever gets here). So while I still love fashion, shopping is not something that is a part of my reality for the foreseeable future. It's incredibly liberating.

Ta-ta: Would you mind sharing a pic of the blouse?

Betinapple: So what do you want instead of the boots?

I did, it's just been so long you've forgotten :wink: Remember the sleeveless Lanvin purple one with the draping?

@Cheepmunk: When I do buy something I spend my money on something that I'm going to love for a long time - I rarely buy trend pieces - or I thriftshop and unlike highstreet clothing which are also cheap, I end up loving my thriftfinds to death. That said I do not think I'm using my money on clothing this time. As you said, it can actually be liberating NOT shopping.

Also, I rarely get that "I need that so badly that I'll be sad if I don't get it"-feeling anymore. Which is good, since it has really lowered my clothing budget, but also somewhat scary since I normally use it as a way to find out if I really wan't something. The only thing I feel so strongly about ATM is the YSL mail clutch, which I'm definetely getting in the new year. I will be bummed if it sells out before, but I also know that I'll survive. It's just a bag :wink: (can't believe I said that!)

@Shoestringtravel: thx! I've discovered that it makes me very happy :smile:

Oh, totally. Like I said, it's just something I ask myself, borne partly of the fact that I have a hard time these days finding something that's truly timeless. I went suit shopping a while back, and while some things looked timeless on the surface, there was something about the cut or the design, even if it was something simple like the cuffs, that screamed I was made in the early 2010s!! Which is probably another reason I'm not crazy about shopping these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->