The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
twistelette Cobalt blue sounds nice. It's a color that goes with lots of my clothes as well. So far most of the dress shoes I've seen are either black or brown. I'm looking for something not too classic, so far I haven't seen anything that speaks to me.

I'll keep all of you posted :wink:

eizhowa I wonder what else is on that list :lol:

Twistelette :kiss:

Betina: I had no idea you were acquiring a bag at all! I need to pay more attention I think. I like the woven leather detail!

I think the tan boots with my black coat is too harsh...I love them with grey skinny jeans and a white tee. I prefer softer color combinations, so while grey and tan works fo me, black and tan is a problem (in my HEAD). But I can survive two weeks:P

Fewormany: suits among other things... and making lists:D

Trenchcoat: There are at least one challenge thread. You could try searching for one.

twistelette Cobalt blue sounds nice. It's a color that goes with lots of my clothes as well. So far most of the dress shoes I've seen are either black or brown. I'm looking for something not too classic, so far I haven't seen anything that speaks to me.

I'll keep all of you posted :wink:

eizhowa I wonder what else is on that list :lol:

I think cordovan should be relatively easy to find as well? I wonder if there's any green available this season ... seems to be a popular color for us, in bags anyway, but I know not everything bleeds through ... I haven't looked much at women's shoes this season, and not at all at men's, since I found what I wanted early on.

I also think tan is difficult to combine. I don't like tan and black at all. Maybe with grey jeans and beige sweater.

I still need to buy so much more basics. Can't believe how I used to dress without essential basics.

Eizhowa. Thanks for letting me discover this thread.

eizhowa I think tan works with pretty much all neutrals, especially with grey and navy it looks really great.

Betinapple Great bag, I like the color and woven details.

fashionista-ta Green is my favorite colour, but I don't think it will go very well with my blue suit.

So far I've pinned to options, one black/brown (but out of my price range for what I'm willing to pay for shoes) and one grey. I'll keep searching, hoping to find something with a wooden sole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think tan is difficult to combine. I don't like tan and black at all. Maybe with grey jeans and beige sweater.

I still need to buy so much more basics. Can't believe how I used to dress without essential basics.

Eizhowa. Thanks for letting me discover this thread.

You are welcome:flower:

I think being patient is important with basics. A lot of items you won't need for months anyway:wink:

Right now I only have one warm coat and one pair of flats (the other is repaired), so I'll just have to make do. When I go to London in January, I'll look for another pair.

Trenchcoat: thank you!

Eizhowa: well, I was not excactly looking to invest in a bag since 4 for every day wear and 2 cluthes should be plenty, but I have been wanting a cognac/tan bag and a bag with a cross body strap for a long time now, so when I found this one, which was the reason that I wanted such a bag in the first place, on a 2nd hand site for an insanely low price, I had to get it.

Wearing tan and black together: I probably would not wear a tan bag or tan shoes with an all black outfit (but I probably would not wear anything but a black bag and black shoes with that sort of thing anyhow..) but I think tan accesories look really good with a combination of blacks and greys and especially when black/white or cream/navy stripes - also paired with black.

Fewormany: Thank you - I really think it is a great detail too.

Have you considered grey suede shoes for your blue suit? I think it would look terrific!

Trenchcoat: I bet you haven't been walking around naked up until this point, so you do not have to require all the basics at once. I can also hardly believe how I managed to get by without, but I did, and I was able to do so too whilst building my basic wardrobe, so although I can understand wanting to get everything you want at once, I think you should remember that building a wardrobe is not a project that will be "done" some day, nor has to. Things will need replacing and your taste and perhaps size changes. By getting a little at a time instead of getting everything at once you will have a much better sense of what you really need and how new investments complement what is already in your wardrobe. That is excactly why I prefer only buying one or two things each month - if I buy more I do not really get to feel like the things are mine and a part of my wardrobe.

I am considering dyeing my MJ stam bag.

I never use it because of the color. I do not think I have used it since last summer, actually, and it was the black one I wanted right from the start. Actually I bought the green one with the intention of dyeing it.

However, I am not really comfortable just going ahead and doing it although things went smooth with my leather jacket. Mainly because the bag cost a lot more. But still, I am never using it and I have had it put up for sale for a month now without a single response, so maybe I might as well just do so?

Also I need to do something about my Pistol boots. The leather on the back of one of the boots is starting to look very worn, almost like it is cracking. Shoe polish would probably make them look a lot better but since they are made of a nubuck-y kind of leather it would change the look of them quite a lot. Do you think leather lotion could do the trick?

^I think there are specific leather treatments for Nubuck leather. I think there is a brand called Apple (no, not that Apple) leather treatments online, which has products for Nubuck leather. They are not too expensive either I think. Maybe ask the people at the ACNE store? Maybe they can recommend a treatment.

Dying leather: When you dyed your leather jacket, you also dyed the metal (probably because it is easier). Have you figured out how to do it with the bag? Also, I think if the color is uneven on a leather jacket, it will still look good. It can give it a slightly distressed look, which can be great for that kind of jackets. On a stam bag however, I am not sure if the distressed look will be as great... Thats my two cents at least:wink: Of course, I have not studied you leather jacket up close, and I can't judge how even the color is.

If you have these issues figured out, I would just do the math. Figure out how much you could sell it for, and how much it would cost to get a new black bag. You are not wearing it anyway, so it has no other value for you atm.

Betinapple. Off course. I haven't bought anything in three months or so (only the Breton shirt and cashmere sweater). So I'm doing it carefull and slowly.

I was looking around on the internet and found some beautiful REISS london coats and also this Sandro coat (French). What do you think? I thinks its so chic. And yes I'm a navy girl.

^I think there are specific leather treatments for Nubuck leather. I think there is a brand called Apple (no, not that Apple) leather treatments online, which has products for Nubuck leather. They are not too expensive either I think. Maybe ask the people at the ACNE store? Maybe they can recommend a treatment.

Dying leather: When you dyed your leather jacket, you also dyed the metal (probably because it is easier). Have you figured out how to do it with the bag? Also, I think if the color is uneven on a leather jacket, it will still look good. It can give it a slightly distressed look, which can be great for that kind of jackets. On a stam bag however, I am not sure if the distressed look will be as great... Thats my two cents at least:wink: Of course, I have not studied you leather jacket up close, and I can't judge how even the color is.

If you have these issues figured out, I would just do the math. Figure out how much you could sell it for, and how much it would cost to get a new black bag. You are not wearing it anyway, so it has no other value for you atm.

Good idea about the boots. I will stop by the next time I go to Copenhagen.

I did indeed color the hardware as well - because I had no way of getting around the buttons e.g. if I had to dye all the leather. I think it will be easier on the bag since the hardware is not as close to the leather - if that makes sense? Also I think the excess color could be removed with acetone - but a good point indeed. The color is very even, I am not in any way worried about that part.

Like I wrote in my previous post, I have had it put up for sale without recieving a singe response, so that I am not really counting on. And since I am not wearing it ATM I might as well do it. A black stam bag (used) would cost me a least 1000 $ so this would be a lot more budget-friendly.

Betinapple. Off course. I haven't bought anything in three months or so (only the Breton shirt and cashmere sweater). So I'm doing it carefull and slowly.

I was looking around on the internet and found some beautiful REISS london coats and also this Sandro coat (French). What do you think? I thinks its so chic. And yes I'm a navy girl.

Sandro Paris €445

Credits edited

Hello!

I have been a lurker in this thread and wanted to say Hi to everyone!
Been backtracking through the thread and read some really insightful comments. And I feel really bad about how I have been spending alot of my waredrobe on quantity and not quality. Will really have to do a purge soon, when the building of my new wardrobe starts.

I am from Asia , with a hot and humid climate all year round. I travel around to cooler places everyone once in a while and get exposed to the cooler climate which I adore(Just not sub zero please!). With regards to winter wear , I usually buy really practical pieces , so can't really provide any valuable input.

Silk shirts: I went to Europe recently where Zara/Massimo Dutti was about 30-40% cheaper than what I would find in Asia and went crazy. I bought a couple of silk shirts which I thought was cheap for silk. Only to find some really decent silk shirts in places like Uniqlo and Muji. Having seen from both , how do I tell what silk is good? If it is transparent, does it mean it is of a lower quality?

Welcome, Springfiry!

Silk: If it is transparent, you are probably just getting less silk:wink: The nicest silk shirt I have owned was from Joseph, and it was just softer than all the cheap ones. My mother always told me to "look with my hands", that way you can feel if the silk is nice. If the silk is smooth, your finger tips will glide over it and you should not feel any friction under your fingertips. If you have perfectly smooth fingertips, I can't help you:P Less hand cream!

Also, there is an obviousl difference when you look at an HM seam and a well made one. There should not be any puckering or bulges/waves where the seams are.

There is also a visual difference, I think. One silk satin will look different from another. Silk satin should have a sheen, not just be shiny, if that makes any sense:P

I know Ta-ta has some really nice silk pieces from Lanvin. She might be able to sheed some more light on the topic:flower:

Trenchcoat: I am not sure what kind of coat you are going for, so I don't know what will in the end be the best for your style. Do you have an idea of how your winter uniform will look like? Your coat, scarf, bag, trousers and boots will be all that anyone sees for months. I think it is very important that all of your items will look good with with each other. Your coat does not have a lapel, so any scarf will lie on top of the coat, not be tucked in. You should also consider if the length is the best for you. On me, that coat would be knee length, and would only work with tall knee boots, to make me look proportional. You are much taller than me, so I am not sure what will work for you. You will know best:wink: A coat that you love, is of good quality, works with your other outwerwear pieces and makes you look well-proportioned is a winner in my book:smile:

Silk: I love silk... I think you can see the quality and feel it. Good silk feels smooth and still robust. I have a great silk scarf by Burberry and a sleeveless silk top by Lanvin. Both are great quality and you can just see and feel it. Just try to look at different pieces and learn the differences.

Winter coats: I've been wearing my APC parka and the Duvetica down coat a lot in recent days / weeks. Both feel great! It's fantastic to have two options though, makes winter dressing a bit more fun. We had the first snow today and now I am thinking about a new challenge... Snow boots. I'm really considering to buy something very robust this year since I don't want to ruin my nice leather shoes when we have lots of snow (and consequently salt...) on the streets. I might buy something like this...

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/379134

... but then again, that's not really chic. But I wanna go out and run in the snow with the kids. Any good suggestions to solving that problem???

Snowboots: If you are in the snow, your boots will be covered in snow, so who will know if they are chic:innocent: We only get ice and rain so I have never had to consider the issue myself. From a practical standpoint, boots that can be pulled on and off and don't have laces that need to be tyed are very practical. Trying to knot/unknot when you have frozen hands or when the boots are covered in snow is difficult. I think some boots have elastics or different closing-methods than the Marc Jacob boots. Anyway, I am sure your children won't care what you wear though:wink:

Salt on the streets is the worst. My cats and dogs have always had such dry and damanged paws because of the salt damage:angry: I come from a very anti-salting household:P

Coats: I agree that it is much more fun to have two coats, but if you are on a budget, I think it is much better to invest in one really good one and then save up for the next season. I will look for a new trench/barbour/parka next fall:smile:

American Vintage

DVF

Tommy Hilfiger

I really like this thread. I learn so much from you. These are silk blouses that are from better quality than ZARA´s etc.

Eizhowa. You are right about buying boots, a coat and scarf that match. I saw a big cashmere scarf that I want to buy. But I don't know whether I want the navy or black one. And a saw some really nice Ralph Lauren leather boots and leather boots from a local store here nearby.

Welcome, springfiry!

I don't think transparent silk is necessarily a bad thing, but IMO it's not the most beautiful. The blouses eizhowa was mentioning are of really heavy silk. One of them has a sanded texture. The colors are deep and beautiful.

Like I was mentioning, looking at my inexpensive silk blouses next to them, it's hard to believe it's the same fiber. I would say that good silk looks decadent and luxurious, while inexpensive silk tends to look like ... just a shirt. The difference is more difficult to see in very lightweight, sheer silk ... but I think if you'll look around at different labels and price points, you'll see what I'm talking about.

R&N, I kind of like the boots. They look practical, with a bit of aesthetics thrown in :wink:

Welcome Springfiy: so nice with all the new contributors in this thread :smile:

@Red: I like those boots! Maybe be not the most chic option, but chic for snowboots. Also they would go great with your parkacoat.

I have a pair of snowboots (leather actually) that have kept really well. I do not wear them a lot but it is really nice to have them. I do not think I wore them at all last year, but I started talking a lot of walks after sundown and they would be nice for those occasions since I am cold all the time.

Also welcome from me springfiry, happy to have you here!

There are many different kinds of silk, both sheer and non sheer, cheap and expensive, shiny and matte. Like the others have said it's a matter of becoming familiar with them so in time you know which ones to pick.

Unfortenately I have no real experience with snow boots RedandNavy.

I'm going to order the black Acne needle jeans and black wool trousers from Armani. Furthermore I'm waiting for the sale to start so I can buy some other things I have my eye on, literally! :Pink: I'm eyeing at least one pair of Gucci shoes.

Does anyone know a brand that sells fleece jackets but with smooth lining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->