The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

fashionista-ta

Reaction score
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]225507[/split]

This thread is for those who are already buying 4-5 key pieces per season, or would like to start, as discussed in The 4-5 piece French wardrobe thread, http://forums.thefashionspot.com/showpost.php?p=10063835&postcount=1

The idea here is to
  • Create a Pinterest board illustrating your personal style--things you own, style icons, inspirations, color schemes, favorite designers/labels, etc. You can link to it here, or PM it to people who will be creating shopping lists for you.
  • Specify the pieces you would like to find for the upcoming season, including price range and other criteria
  • Specify your body type and coloring
Then, you can post here a pictorial shopping list for yourself, invite others to create one for you, or both.

Let the games begin ...

PS I do have a Pinterest board ready. I have pretty much finished my shopping for fall, and will start thinking about spring shortly. What I would really like to find, though, is a leopard print cardigan, preferably not wool as it's not very practical for my climate. I prefer cotton, silk, or a cashmere blend, something like that.

My coloring is similar to my avatar, chestnut hair, brown eyes, and my shape is curvy but not hourglass.

As far as price point ... I try to keep it under $1000/piece, but am willing to spend more for something very special. I used to be able to get good quality casual pants for less than $100, but I can't always do that now that my go-to brand has become unreliable. Ts and knit tops, I'm looking for something under or slightly over the $100 mark. Other tops and sweaters I will buy in this range, up to the limit mentioned above, depending on detail level, materials, label, etc. Shoes, I typically want to spend at least $250+ (or I want the retail to be that, I'm open to spending less :wink:), because I find that below that, the shoes don't last the way I want them to, and the quality materials and construction aren't there. Bags, $1500 or less ideally. Willing to spend a bit more for what I really want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe after one year I will draw a graph of my purchases per month... I like graphs:heart:

I bought very few items this season as I mentioned before, the dress would only be my 4th piece for S/S. I didn't count a couple of basic low priced T-shirts (even if I wear them all the time) and underwear, I never do. :wink:

I will probably buy a thing or two on sales, I am thinking of a dress and some draped top (white, navy ... reccomendations desirable ^_^). I would also like to have a black clutch, but it's not so necessary.
All those things should be work appropriate, but that was never a problem for me, at least in last few years. My wardrobe seems pretty formal I guess.

In between I have to make some more or less nice purchaces, such as new smartphone and some accesories for it and a bicycle.

@Eizhowa: uh a graph will be nice. Generally I love doing statistics. I have an excel document where I write all of my purchases and divide them into categories (clothing, beauty, interior decorating, maintenance etc.) and keep track of when I bought what and how much money I have spent.

@Jina: I saw a nice black top from Topshop. It was black though.

----

Our bed broke yesterday - one of the legs has been bad for a loooong time at this was the end. So we had to remove all of the legs and put it on the floor. And go bed shopping in the nearest future. Sigh. Really not what I wanted to spend my money on. That means that I am in kind of a shopping limbo right now since I have no clue what kind of money I will be able to spend on clothing. If any.

Oh, Betina, who doesn't have an excel sheet like that...:rolleyes:

A break could be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps you will get better at getting the most out of your current wardrobe? And of course, you could further improve your sewing skills and make me even more jealous:lol:

I think that as long as you don't have a lot of spiders crawling about, having a framed mattress on the floor is very nice. No dust underneath the bed either:D Although changing the sheets is quite difficult on your own...:shock:

Oh, Betina, who doesn't have an excel sheet like that...:rolleyes:

A break could be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps you will get better at getting the most out of your current wardrobe? And of course, you could further improve your sewing skills and make me even more jealous:lol:

I think that as long as you don't have a lot of spiders crawling about, having a framed mattress on the floor is very nice. No dust underneath the bed either:D Although changing the sheets is quite difficult on your own...:shock:

:lol:

Well actually I am kinda fine with yet another shopping break. But let's see what happens - and doing more DIY projects would suit me just fine.

I must admit that the bed-situation is kinda cozy ATM. Also it solved the problem of waking up too early due to the sun rays hitting you right in the face :D

I was actually thinking of getting some pallets, paint them white and put the bed on those. Very scandinavian. My boyfriend seems very passionate about getting a new bed though.

^Try to paint pallets, or to dust around them, I dare you! It is impossible... Assuming you have the same kind of pallets in mind as I do...

^Try to paint pallets, or to dust around them, I dare you! It is impossible... Assuming you have the same kind of pallets in mind as I do...

Well, I think I do. Maybe you are right. I am just not too crazy about almost sleeping on the floor.

I had my bed-frame on the floor for a couple years after one of the legs broke during a move... silly IKEA bed... I liked the look and feel of it, having decided that it was kind of Japanese (silly me...) - but dust did definitely gather underneath. just no way of easily hoovering it up. not something I would recommend :smile:
seems like you were doing just fine not shopping in april and may, so it might not be the biggest deal ever to continue for a another month? I find, once I get into a habit of not doing something, it's not that much of a deal anymore after a while.

I had my bed-frame on the floor for a couple years after one of the legs broke during a move... silly IKEA bed... I liked the look and feel of it, having decided that it was kind of Japanese (silly me...) - but dust did definitely gather underneath. just no way of easily hoovering it up. not something I would recommend :smile:
seems like you were doing just fine not shopping in april and may, so it might not be the biggest deal ever to continue for a another month? I find, once I get into a habit of not doing something, it's not that much of a deal anymore after a while.

You are perfectly right. It is somewhat easy when I have made the decission. And right now it is kind of a relief since I felt like I had a 100 (ok, three) items on my wishlist and it felt overwhelming. So maybe this is a good thing :wink:

:lol:

Well actually I am kinda fine with yet another shopping break. But let's see what happens - and doing more DIY projects would suit me just fine.

I must admit that the bed-situation is kinda cozy ATM. Also it solved the problem of waking up too early due to the sun rays hitting you right in the face :D

I was actually thinking of getting some pallets, paint them white and put the bed on those. Very scandinavian. My boyfriend seems very passionate about getting a new bed though.

Who can argue with passion :brows:

If you think you don't like spending money on a bed, I give you a new cast iron drain line, brought fully up to code :innocent:

For an expenditure of this type, though, I actually have been feeling quite pleased about it. Now I can do laundry and run the dishwasher with no fear of leaks ... it just feels really great to have it fixed and working properly.

I see that due to the merge the first post of this new continuation thread is not at all the right one :ninja:

Who can argue with passion :brows:

If you think you don't like spending money on a bed, I give you a new cast iron drain line, brought fully up to code :innocent:

For an expenditure of this type, though, I actually have been feeling quite pleased about it. Now I can do laundry and run the dishwasher with no fear of leaks ... it just feels really great to have it fixed and working properly.

I see that due to the merge the first post of this new continuation thread is not at all the right one :ninja:

Well that is true :lol:

I know that I will probably be happy about it in time. When our blender broke and the silly man was convinced that we HAD to by a bamix (which is supposed to be the a-class of blenders) I was not quite convinced but it was a really good investment.

----------------

I finished a white broderie anglaise skirt yesterday. I had an old midiskirt in the attic that was actually the bottom of a dress that had the most poofy dress one had ever seen.

I have not been wearing it for two years since the midi lengt was not really flattering due to it being very volumious, so I cut of the top, added a new elastic and now it is super cute and looks like all of the short broderie anglaise skirts in stores that I have been eyeing.

I just discovered that there is a shoe sample sale tomorrow that has ASH among other brands. I am thinking of going there to see if they have the boots I have been looking at.

Summer wardrobe blues...

I have been feeling slightly frustrated with my summer wardrobe these past few days. (Can't we just walk around naked and save ourselves the trouble?:()

Towards the end of last season I finally felt like my wardrobe was really working. I had my uniform and everything was so easy... Now I have to think so much and try on several outfits before I leave the house, and even then I am not quite content. (I feel confident the reason nudists do not wear clothes is because they feel just as frustrated about their summer wardrobe as I do. )

I had a summer uniform last year (blouse, cropped trousers, ballet flats), but 5 out of my 6 cropped trousers are now unwearable, and I need the last one for work. I need to dry the first 5 in the dryer at a very high heat for them to fit, and I have no dryer anymore:( I think I will dedicate May to finding a pair of cropped trousers in black or a rich camel/brown color.

To add to my wardrobe depression, I actually found a perfect pair of black cropped trousers on J.crew (on sale too, how perfect). I ordered them in my regular size, only to discover that the sizing of the trousers ran big. By the time I realized this, they were sold out in the size I needed:( I don't know if J.crew has season staples. Maybe they will get my size in a couple of months.

Sorry about the moaning, but I kind of stopped keeping a diary when I started using tfs/pinterest/polyvore/excel. Now I just pour everything out here^_^

Maybe it is just my new haircut (or trim, as my hairdresser calls it) that is depressing me. I don't know...:unsure:

Betina: I hope you find the boots you want!

I have been feeling slightly frustrated with my summer wardrobe these past few days. (Can't we just walk around naked and save ourselves the trouble?:()

Towards the end of last season I finally felt like my wardrobe was really working. I had my uniform and everything was so easy... Now I have to think so much and try on several outfits before I leave the house, and even then I am not quite content. (I feel confident the reason nudists do not wear clothes is because they feel just as frustrated about their summer wardrobe as I do. )

I had a summer uniform last year (blouse, cropped trousers, ballet flats), but 5 out of my 6 cropped trousers are now unwearable, and I need the last one for work. I need to dry the first 5 in the dryer at a very high heat for them to fit, and I have no dryer anymore:( I think I will dedicate May to finding a pair of cropped trousers in black or a rich camel/brown color.

To add to my wardrobe depression, I actually found a perfect pair of black cropped trousers on J.crew (on sale too, how perfect). I ordered them in my regular size, only to discover that the sizing of the trousers ran big. By the time I realized this, they were sold out in the size I needed:( I don't know if J.crew has season staples. Maybe they will get my size in a couple of months.

Sorry about the moaning, but I kind of stopped keeping a diary when I started using tfs/pinterest/polyvore/excel. Now I just pour everything out here^_^

Maybe it is just my new haircut (or trim, as my hairdresser calls it) that is depressing me. I don't know...:unsure:

Betina: I hope you find the boots you want!

Moan all you want - it is nice with some activity :flower:

I totally know how you feel. In the winter I felt like I had tons of summer clothes. Now I feel like I have no summer clothes but all the winter clothes I need. Sigh.

Can't you have the trousers taken in by a tailor? And how about that Vanessa Bruno athé dress you bought? The camel one. Not that you can wear it all the time, but you know what I mean.

I also tend to feel like I have nothing to wear whenever I get a haircut. Seems like nothing goes with my new hairdo.

I decided not go go to the sample sale tomorrow. No point in risking temptation. I will maybe go and buy a pair of sandals though. I saw a nice pair when I bought the pumps and I think they will be a good addition. I will be working 6 days a week for three weeks this summer so I guess I will need good sandals. I only have one pair and my feet will die if I wear the same pair of shoes all summer.

Also my maxidress should arrive tomorrow.

Yes, Thank God for that dress. It is pretty much the only thing I have worn when it has been hot outside. It is that or staying inside:lol:

Unfortunately, I have very bad experiences with my local tailors. I asked them to make a boat neck on one of my dresses once (like the Audrey Hepburn wore in Sabrina), and even though I explained in detail, I got a deep crew neck.:angry: I ended up giving the dress to good-will. You can't undo damage like that... I think I will hold on to the trousers, though. Might find a better seamstress sometime in the future. I am not sure if having them taken in will be easy, either. They would have to take the entire hip/waist area in by two inches:unsure: I can actually pull off the trouser without unzipping or unbuttoning them atm.

Have you pinned a picture of that dress anywhere, Betina? As it happens, I bought a maxi dress once When I was in Denmark. Never wore it when I got back. Norwegians are so much less fashionable. I felt so out of place wearing it at home.

Yes, Thank God for that dress. It is pretty much the only thing I have worn when it has been hot outside. It is that or staying inside:lol:

Unfortunately, I have very bad experiences with my local tailors. I asked them to make a boat neck on one of my dresses once (like the Audrey Hepburn wore in Sabrina), and even though I explained in detail, I got a deep crew neck.:angry: I ended up giving the dress to good-will. You can't undo damage like that... I think I will hold on to the trousers, though. Might find a better seamstress sometime in the future. I am not sure if having them taken in will be easy, either. They would have to take the entire hip/waist area in by two inches:unsure: I can actually pull off the trouser without unzipping or unbuttoning them atm.

Have you pinned a picture of that dress anywhere, Betina? As it happens, I bought a maxi dress once When I was in Denmark. Never wore it when I got back. Norwegians are so much less fashionable. I felt so out of place wearing it at home.

What about the Noa Noa dresses and blouses you've got? They look nice. I never find anything at Noa Noa so I am a bit envious.

I see about the trousers. Does not sound ideal. Eat something, woman! :lol:

I have not pinned it anywhere but I will put it on pinterest in a second. It looks really plain in the pictures though, but it has a beautiful back. That can be seen on this link

When I started wearing maxidresses about 5 years ago people thought I was crazy. The year after everyone was wearing them. You got to show them norwegians that maxidresses are the sh*t :wink:

What about the Noa Noa dresses and blouses you've got? They look nice. I never find anything at Noa Noa so I am a bit envious.

I see about the trousers. Does not sound ideal. Eat something, woman! :lol:

I have not pinned it anywhere but I will put it on pinterest in a second. It looks really plain in the pictures though, but it has a beautiful back. That can be seen on this link

When I started wearing maxidresses about 5 years ago people thought I was crazy. The year after everyone was wearing them. You got to show them norwegians that maxidresses are the sh*t :wink:

Haha, yes, Mother:D:lol:

I do have a lot of Noa Noa dresses... Problem is I find them too dressy for everyday-wear. And my handbags are to "rough" to wear with them. I always have something to wear to parties and gatherings, though^_^ And my Noa Noa blouses look best with cropped trousers, which I atm do not have... (As you can tell, I like making problems for myself:P)

Post lots of pictures of yourself in that Maxi dress and maybe you'll convince me to give them another try:wink:

I will be receiving my May item in a couple of days. A pair of Vivienne Westwood pirate boots. That might get me out of my wardrobe funk.

Haha, yes, Mother:D:lol:

I do have a lot of Noa Noa dresses... Problem is I find them too dressy for everyday-wear. And my handbags are to "rough" to wear with them. I always have something to wear to parties and gatherings, though^_^ And my Noa Noa blouses look best with cropped trousers, which I atm do not have... (As you can tell, I like making problems for myself:P)

Post lots of pictures of yourself in that Maxi dress and maybe you'll convince me to give them another try:wink:

I will be receiving my May item in a couple of days. A pair of Vivienne Westwood pirate boots. That might get me out of my wardrobe funk.

Ah I see. I make problems for myself as well :wink: I think the purple one would look nice with both your balenciaga and your cognac leather bag though - but I get your drift regardring the blouses.

So exciting about the boots! Do you have any pictures of them?

I will SPAM you with pictures if it fits!

Just wanted to show the broderie anglaise skirt I was talking about. I got a little carried away in my eager to finish it so I could wear it, and therefore used a black elastic instead of a white which would have been the proper choice. But since I would never have an elasticated waist be visible I decided it did not matter. It used to be a dress with the poofiest sleeves ever.

I am not sure if having them taken in will be easy, either. They would have to take the entire hip/waist area in by two inches:unsure: I can actually pull off the trouser without unzipping or unbuttoning them atm.

I often have trousers taken in... I have way wider hips than I have a waist, so it's a necessity. By about two inches or more, too. They usually pin the back (butt) part and take them in there. I think it's only worth it if they fit you at the hips, though. I've also had a skirt taken in by about 2 inches at each side (!!) and it worked fine :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->