2011 MET Costume Institute Gala (attendees): Alexander McQueen: "Savage Beauty"

Surprised Kate didn't show up but I do understand why.

Daphne really was the only one who did McQueen justice imo. Although no surprise there.

And I love Diane's look even if it doesn't go with the theme. She just looks so gorgeous ^_^.

I'm a bit pleased that Kate and Björk didn't show up for this media circus. Surely the theme was McQueen but it's pretty evident it was everything but a tribute to his work. God knows what else went behind this. I think anyone that's actually been an admirer and true supporter of McQueen's work right from the beginning of his career (and not just after Lagy Gaga or his death or The Royal Wedding happened) doesn't really need to join this type of celebrations, their contribution has already been done.

Still, I feel that it would be better to go and show your support, even if it was only for a half an hour, rather than acting like you're better than the rest of the celebrities just because you've been his friend for the longest, or have supported him from the very beginning. No matter what the event turned out to be, the basis is still about celebrating McQueen's genius designs and his contributions to the fashion world - not the contributions of his supporters. :wink:

goddess in the same dress she worn on the runway back in 2004

getty

Karen Elson at the 2004 met costume institute ball.

photo style.com

Attachments

• 020m-1.jpg
    020m-1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:
^ Those are actually two different dresses. The one she wore in 04 was from the beginning of the show, the one she wore last night was the finale piece. It was a tattered, distressed version of the earlier dress.

a lot of people talking about how they are dissapointed by lazy designers and dresses, which are not in the theme of the evening. but did you really await it? i don´t... for me, MET is first of all business event, like everything in what is Anna Wintour involved... labels and designers need to sell their own pieces... and only btw.. they had a opportunity for this use a great event like that

TheChosen1, the first half of this thread was mainly pics with a few comments in between. Just go back to page 1 here for the link back to the earlier thread.

KK!

this is just alllll kinds of amazing! THIS is be-fitting the theme!

*gettyimages*

Karolina, Gisele, Liv Tyler (purely because she wore Givenchy) and Mariacarla looked the best. Goddesses, all of them!

To be fair, most celebrities were probably not sent McQueen. What should they have done? KK looked amazing. Milla looked underdone in Marni.

Anna Wintour looked amazing this year!!! and KK and Gisele were best dressed, no doubt

There were rumours about a custom made Theyskens gown being worn by some athlete (sorry, forgot her name) at the MET. Did that happen, do we have pictures of that?

Also, there were pictures of Ana BB at a MET fitting. Was she there at all?

I stick to what I said before. Best dressed/overall look:

1) Liu Wen in McQueen
2) Chanel Iman in Dolce
3) Natalia in Valentino

MCB looked great, too. Gisele gets a honorable mention as well.

Honestly can't think of a non-model celebrity that looked really good :lol: Kristen Stewart deserves a mention for the great hair and make up and the shoes. Her dress was decent but not overwhelming, mainly because it was a bad fit on her.

As for the guys, I liked Colin Firth and Karl Lagerfeld. But haven't seen pictures of a lot of them anyways.

untagged looks

Constance + Liu

113539884.jpg

Lily D

113538311.jpg
113538309.jpg

Arizona Muse

113538107.jpg

getty

I already complimented Zac Posen for custom making something for the event, I will add to the list:

Peter Dundas for Emilio Pucci for modifying one of his collection pieces for Beyonce, yeah she could not walk up the steps without assistance, but that goes with the ridiculousness that I associate with Beyonce. I am also cool with him putting his other muse, Jessica Chastain, in a regular dress from his latest collection as I don't think that every designers' guests has to be outfitted for the theme.

Valentino Garavani - Although he did not custom make Natalia's garment, he seems to have given the theme enough thought and pulled something very fitting from his archives.

Stella McCartney and Stefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent - Neither of these two are exciting designers, so I would not expect them to go hog wild with skulls, feathers, tartan and whatnot, but I give them an honorable mention because I think that they attempted to address the theme with the modifications and styling of their muses: Madonna, Hailee Steinfeld and Florence Welch.

Liu looks stunning. Constance is at least in McQueen but you can buy it on Net-a-Porter. Somewhat perversely I think I like Lily's Erdem.

Zac Posen I think deserves credit, he always pulls out the stops for the Met, the yellow dress for Kate Mara, the ones for Coco & Doutzen last year. At least he make an effort.

Found a pic of Theyskens and Aimee Mullins

x610ue.jpg

daylife

Not sure yet whether I like that dress :unsure:

I'm very disappointed, especially with the guys. I'm expecting something like these:

thesmartstylist

i suspect actual mcqueen archival menswear pieces hard to come by. also, let's recall that the most recent runway collections by sarah burton did not have the same panache as those delivered by mcqueen himself so there's not a current crop of runway specials for the men to raid like the women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->