Alessandro Michele - Designer, Creative Director of Valentino

I do like this new streamlined collection model, but I'm not sure if one HC show is enough for a brand like Valentino. If they're doing one HC show a year, a regular show in a Parisian hôtel particulier really won't suffice.
Streamlined ? Alessandro is too prolific and does not know when to stop; I expect 90 to 110 looks at reach co-ed RTW shows, and 60 at the couture ones (which will probably include mens looks).
Plus 130 pics for each cruise and pre-fall lookbooks, which they will release the very same day Gucci has cruise or pre-fall.

I wish him to succeed, but to succeed at Valentino, for Valentino, and to learn to focus and edit.

Streamlined ? Alessandro is too prolific and does not know when to stop; I expect 90 to 110 looks at reach co-ed RTW shows, and 60 at the couture ones (which will probably include mens looks).
Plus 130 pics for each cruise and pre-fall lookbooks, which they will release the very same day Gucci has cruise or pre-fall.

I wish him to succeed, but to succeed at Valentino, for Valentino, and to learn to focus and edit.
I forgot that Michele loves his 25 minute, 100+ look shows...

This is going to be painful.

I forgot that Michele loves his 100+ look shows...This is going to be painful.
He would gain a lot by axing 40 or 50 % of his looks. 30 women looks and 20 for mens are enough to be directional and impactful, especially in co-ed shows.
Imho, even Burberry and Bottega Veneta have too much looks.
Also he should give up his 2017 Gucci aesthetic and fully embrace the Valentino one, within his own ways for sure, but if it is a Gucci reboot there’s not point in that .

He would gain a lot by axing 40 or 50 % of his looks. 30 women looks and 20 for mens are enough to be directional and impactful, especially in co-ed shows.
Imho, even Burberry and Bottega Veneta have too much looks.
Also he should give up his 2017 Gucci aesthetic and fully embrace the Valentino one, within his own ways for sure, but if it is a Gucci reboot there’s not point in that .
I hope he does. The silhouettes Michele used at Gucci were very similar to the silhouettes used during PPP and MGC's joint tenure. It's really just a matter of styling and editing. He should work with a minimalist stylist.

In Gucci he worked with a stylist? he seems the kinda type of designer that have a problem to delegate....

He needs to reinvent himself while being true to his design point of view....i have not much hope after what we saw already....

In Gucci he worked with a stylist? he seems the kinda type of designer that have a problem to delegate....

He needs to reinvent himself while being true to his design point of view....i have not much hope after what we saw already....
Didn’t Katie Grand style the first few shows?

Didn’t Katie Grand style the first few shows?
Nope he never had show stylist never .....Katie did last Frida ss show that's it, and i understood Katie was not even aloud backstage because Frida did not like her in the end .....lol

Joe McKenna styled first few shows as I remember it right. Jane How also did few campaigns. After then, it was mostly done by Jonathan Kaye.
Joe McKenna never styled a show with Alessandro never happened, Jonathan Kaye only for campaigns but the looks never changed drastically if you check the ads versus the shows (so for me it's more part of the art direction of the campaigns and extras & grouping of the looks)

No matter who is the stylist, it´s gonna be the same maximalist nightmare that Alessandro always makes (because it´s the only thing he is able to make).

Expecting AM to learn to edit is like expecting Madonna to behave like a high-society lady...not gonna happen!

No matter who is the stylist, it´s gonna be the same maximalist nightmare that Alessandro always makes (because it´s the only thing he is able to make).

Expecting AM to learn to edit is like expecting Madonna to behave like a high-society lady...not gonna happen!
oh i agree i know the adv are also the same vibe/style...i think once the market response is clear they will course correct or not or see where to change or not ......it might just work as is Valentino is only 1.4 billion turnover ish a year... so lots off old gucci fans left from the 10 billion turnover he left left behind at Gucci a percentage will start spending at Valentino because of him he my make Valentino grow in short time.

what sells at gucci is still his creations in rtw and acc even when toned down and done up gg heavy

also we must not forget that the amount of product acc that they will turn out in first oct drop after years of dry spell for valentino acc will create enough feeling of novelty and buzz ..for sure some hits will come out in the acc department.

the first feedback from buyers where already positive for the bags /acc

for me interesting to watch nonetheless

Im afraid of this tenure…
We already saw the amount of looks he poured in the resort. There will be more stuff for main season. And I guess that Couture will be an exhausting costume party.

Alessandro didn’t have a long Gucci tenure but it was exhausting. 3 years in, It was already too much.

One thing that I loved about his Gucci was the suits and the packaging.

For me, Valentino was about Jet Set romantism and for him, it’s only romantism.

I expect a very painful tenure.

oh i agree i know the adv are also the same vibe/style...i think once the market response is clear they will course correct or not or see where to change or not ......it might just work as is Valentino is only 1.4 billion turnover ish a year... so lots off old gucci fans left from the 10 billion turnover he left left behind at Gucci a percentage will start spending at Valentino because of him he my make Valentino grow in short time.

what sells at gucci is still his creations in rtw and acc even when toned down and done up gg heavy

also we must not forget that the amount of product acc that they will turn out in first oct drop after years of dry spell for valentino acc will create enough feeling of novelty and buzz ..for sure some hits will come out in the acc department.

the first feedback from buyers where already positive for the bags /acc

for me interesting to watch nonetheless

Im afraid of this tenure…
We already saw the amount of looks he poured in the resort. There will be more stuff for main season. And I guess that Couture will be an exhausting costume party.

Alessandro didn’t have a long Gucci tenure but it was exhausting. 3 years in, It was already too much.

One thing that I loved about his Gucci was the suits and the packaging.

For me, Valentino was about Jet Set romantism and for him, it’s only romantism.

I expect a very painful tenure.
I agree it might be painful, but Valentino (the company) wants a slice of that 10 bn cake Alessandro created at Gucci. PDFSD is right about the accessories, they will be some hits. With Alessandro they can grow or double from 1,4 to 3bn in 4/5 years, on par with their peers like YSL. And probably better perfumes.

I just keep my fingers crossed he won't go full maximalist, but the good things with maximalists is you can always pare it down. Or just use a maximalist stand-out piece of clothing in a styled-down outfit.

His Gucci total looks on the streets were painful, but I have seen plenty of people mismatching them and wearing them very differently: like his embroidered denim jackets over black outfits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->