American / United States Fashion Schools

you can still work in the fashion industry w/ a regular business admin. degree or merchandising degree right? because I am confused on whether to go to a fashion school(like FIT) or just a regular state school (like USC or NYU) for that???

lilsweetie said:
Hi I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the online fashion program at the San Francisco Academy of Art or just the school in general!? Any opinions, thoughts, facts, etc would be great! Im currently in college studying journalism and wanted to kind of get ahead and study fashion while im still in school.

umm.. i heard academy of arts in san fransisco SUCKS. but i reccomend you not to go there

jeffrey0806 said:
i think you're making a mistake, but until you get to fidm, and want to transfer out you'll see why.

save your self some money, if you want to transfer into those schools, go to a school whose credit do transfer(fidm credits don't transfer) like a community college.

well the thing is. i dont want to go to new york and study because i am fairly comfortable in living in california, and because everythings so expensive there. also. is FIDM a good school to start a fashion career or what? im not sure. apparently ive been saying that because once i get into fidm, im wondering if i should really start to get seriosus with fashion and then go to new york and get REALYL seriously with it. kno where im getting at? anyways

I've been looking through this thread hoping to get an idea on what fashion schools there are out there. I am currently a freshman in college majoring in history, but I have decided to go the direction of fashion design. Art and fashion have always been passions of mine and I am hoping to get some ideas about where I might transfer to.
Can anyone give me any ideas?:smile:

I dont get why everyone fawns over Otis. I wasn't impressed by their alumni or anything when I checked the school out. FIDM, on the other hand is underrated by the people on this forum. But who am I to say, I just attend there *rolls eyes*

I have professors who taught at Otis and FIDM at the same time. Otis pays more, but they chose FIDM over them. Go figure.

jeffrey0806 said:
do you honestly think you can get a good education online for fashion design. fashion design usually consists of studio classes, how can you possibly get the same attention you get in person, as you would if you were to do it online. how would you know if you're doing the seams correctly for a garment or whatever if the teacher isn't physically there to correct you.

Studying any kind of design online is obviously ridiculous I was wondering about their Fashion merchandising program.

i think you're making a mistake, but until you get to fidm, and want to transfer out you'll see why.

What's your experience w/ FIDM and what is your gripe about them? Lol, actually you seem to have a gripe about everything.

anybody knows anything about the Art Institutes¿¿¿ or Miami University of Art and Design?? :huh:

fashionistangeL said:
anybody knows anything about the Art Institutes¿¿¿ or Miami University of Art and Design?? :huh:

I was wondering about those too!!

jeffrey0806 said:

save your self some money, if you want to transfer into those schools, go to a school whose credit do transfer(fidm credits don't transfer) like a community college.

hmm, why are you so harsh on fidm? :huh: have you studied there before? if not, then i don't think you should judge a school based on what you hear, because that's all it is, hearsay. everyone has different experiences, some may be negative and others are very positive. it happens at every school, so i have no clue why fidm and some other schools are a constant target. with this kind of negativity, if sosoDef and whoever else wants to attend does decide to go to fidm, she's going to be entering with negative thoughts and looking for something to be wrong.

maybe these schools that are being targeted have a high dropout rate, but for every drop out i'm sure there are successes. some schools may have lower success rates than others, but if you have the diligence, social skills, creativity, etc... then you'll be a success no matter where you go. :smile:

everyone's not made for every school. some people do better at fidm, while others find peace at otis. :flower:

i don't think these school threads were created for school-bashing. let's keep it positive, people, and let's not shun people for their academic decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
marisaidwhat said:
hmm, why are you so harsh on fidm? :huh: have you studied there before? if not, then i don't think you should judge a school based on what you hear, because that's all it is, hearsay. everyone has different experiences, some may be negative and others are very positive. it happens at every school, so i have no clue why fidm and some other schools are a constant target. with this kind of negativity, if sosoDef and whoever else wants to attend does decide to go to fidm, she's going to be entering with negative thoughts and looking for something to be wrong.

maybe these schools that are being targeted have a high dropout rate, but for every drop out i'm sure there are successes. some schools may have lower success rates than others, but if you have the diligence, social skills, creativity, etc... then you'll be a success no matter where you go. :smile:

everyone's not made for every school. some people do better at fidm, while others find peace at otis. :flower:

i don't think these school threads were created for school-bashing. let's keep it positive, people, and let's not shun people for their academic decisions.

I dunno, I've never heard anything good about FIDM. A friend went there and had to leave becuase it sucked so much. I've even heard an instructor there talk about how much it sucked. That's not to be harsh but just honest.

^Well that's a smart idea to judge a school based on what two people say. Marisaidwhat is exactly right, its all hearsay. And Im sure a lot of people filter out all the good and focus on the bad. Anyways, judging something what a couple people say based on minimal details is pretty ignorant to begin with.

Exactly what did they say "sucked so bad" about it? Just out of curiousity, should be amusing for me!

Stylesnob

StyleSnob said:
Im a freshman in college right now, and really want to study abroad. I also need to do an internship to graduate, and plan on doing something fashion related! I figured why not put the 2 together....and intern over seas?

So heres my question: I was browsing online and came across American Intercontinental University's website (in London!) and they have a really cool looking fashion internship. They have many classes focussing on the business side of fashion (what im going to be studying) and I want to know if anyone has heard of it/been there/has any general opinion on it!??!

Anything would help! I am seriously considering it as an option for myself. I love London, too! :blush:

:D
Stylesnob u should really consider going to any school in london the schools there are really intense I just left aiu- london in 12-2005 and I loved every class I had. If you are serious I can tell u what professors will be perfect for you. If not aiu-lodon try st. martins i hear they are pretty godd. Lcf is good too they just don't take transfer student, I tried and it didnt work. E-mail me at [email protected] I check my personal e-mail more often. good luck

Academy of Art....best Fashion school?

I don't know much, but I was there yesterday for academy day, and the person who I was signing up for summer classes, said that they have the best Fashion department in the US....?

I'm not sure if that's true...it's pretty good, but I don't know...wouldn't Parson's be?

KHOI

you're talking about academy of art in san francisco, correct?

i've never heard that about aac/u but i can imagine why someone representing the school would say something like that :lol:

I keep hearing mixed reviews about Columbia Chicago. Some people say it's one of the most respected art/design schools in Chicago and someone else mentioned that it's not accredited and doesn't even ask for portfolio's? Does anyone have any further thoughts on this school?

Parsons development of new fashion MFA Program

PARSONS THE NEW SCHOOL FOR DESIGN ESTABLISHES DONNA KARAN PROFESSORSHIP IN FASHION DESIGN

Gift from Fashion Design Icon and Parsons Alumna Donna Karan will Help
Create Innovative Master of Fine Arts Program in Fashion Design and
Society

NEW YORK, April 24, 2006-Parsons The New School for Design and renowned designer and Parsons alumna Donna Karan have announced the establishment of the Donna Karan Professorship in Fashion Design. The professorship is the initial step toward creating a new Master of Fine Arts Program in Fashion Design and Society at Parsons, which will be the first program of its kind in the United States. The gift comes as the school
celebrates the centennial of its acclaimed Fashion Design Program, which
also was the first of its kind in the nation when it was established in

"Donna Karan is not only one of the university's most esteemed
alumni, but has played an active role in supporting its academic growth
as a member of Parsons' board of governors," said New School
President Bob Kerrey. "Her support has ranged from special projects
that have enabled students to engage in real-world issues, to a lecture
series dedicated to her late husband Stephen Weiss that has brought
innovative business thinkers to our campus, and now this important gift
to jumpstart the creation of an MFA program."

The gift was announced at the school's "At the Parsons Table"
series, where Karan joined Parsons Dean Paul Goldberger in conversation
about her career and broader issues in the field of design. "Donna
Karan is one of America's most influential fashion designers," said
Dean Goldberger. "By taking a broader view of fashion that extends beyond apparel to address cultural and social issues, Karan defined a
new chapter in American fashion that is as relevant today is when she
founded her company in the mid-1980s."

"My Parsons education helped open my eyes to a broader perspective on
fashion and its influence on everyday life," said Karan. "It is my hope
that the Fashion Design and Society MFA program will encourage a new
generation of designers to explore the global language of design and
discover new and unexpected ways in which fashion affects our world and
its many cultures."

The intensive two-year MFA program is envisioned as an advanced academy for the study of fashion design that will educate 40 to 60 students
selected through a rigorous admissions process. Its central focus will
be to provide more sophisticated training for designers who already
demonstrate exceptional talent in the field. These top students will
further develop and broaden their skills under the guidance of leading
design experts. The program will place fashion within a global context,
educating designers to become "cultural barometers," reflecting both
contemporary life and the multicultural nature of the fashion industry.
Students will explore the different ways in which societies utilize
fashion as an expression of cultural tradition and personal identity.
The program will be a fully international academic environment, with a
faculty and student body recruited from around the world.

To provide aspiring designers with the skills necessary to succeed in
the field, the program will be interdisciplinary in nature and
incorporate such studies as business, marketing, technology, ecology
and design history. "We expect that the MFA program will influence our
undergraduate fashion program, and will have a larger impact on general
approaches to fashion studies and design," said Dean Goldberger.

DEBORAH KIRSCHNER | THE NEW SCHOOL
Associate Director of Arts Communications

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->