American / United States Fashion Schools

Meg said:
I keep hearing mixed reviews about Columbia Chicago. Some people say it's one of the most respected art/design schools in Chicago and someone else mentioned that it's not accredited and doesn't even ask for portfolio's? Does anyone have any further thoughts on this school?
I recently went to a Career Day thing, where I talked with a local Chicago Fashion Designer. She said in terms of skill, Columbia is the place. She says at the Chicago Art Institute it's more theory and not enough skills.

I am enrolled in the High School Institute at Columbia for the summer. I will take two courses: Chicago Fashion Industry and Fundamentals of Fashion Design. Once I start my classes(in July) I can talk to my teachers if you'd like and I can share my own experience of he school.

Last edited by a moderator:
honeyspider said:
I recently went to a Career Day thing, where I talked with a local Chicago Fashion Designer. She said in terms of skill, Columbia is the place. She says at the Chicago Art Institute it's more theory and not enough skills.

I know a guy who goes to Columbia, and according to him, they have a 99% acceptance rate. Do you know if he was exaggerating?

Does anyone here attend F.I.T.?

I'm considering attending F.I.T.'s graduate program: Global Fashion Management. I plan to attain my bachelor's degree from ASU in supply chain management. Has anyone heard good things about this program? Or is anyone currently part of the program right now? PLEASE let me know! I want to do as much research as I can, even though I have about two years to make my decision. Thank you!

i think there is theads about F.I.T already :flower: you might get your answer from there, so try using the search button :smile:

Who attends Academy Of Arts in San Francisco?...Opinions about it are OPen

There are not that many fashion schools in the WEST COAST that are as good as the ones in the EAST COAST. but i have heard that

Academy of Art in San Francisco
has a very good curriculum and that it is easy to TRANSFER over to Parsons and F.I.T. in New York.

What do you gues think. have any of you attended academy of Art and what do you tink?

Good West Coast Schools

i heard Academy of Arts in san francisco was a realy good school. a lady i talked to who is in the industry said it is a good school to in the WEST COAST was academy of Arts and Otis School of Design. Also that they are the best schools if you wana TRANSFER to the EAST COAST SCHOOLS likePARSONS and F.I.T.

but this is just what someone,who had been in the industry for awhile, had told me....what are your opinions?

What's the difference between Parsons and Philadelphia University?

I'm really struggling on deciding which school I want to transfer to- I want to study Fashion Merchandising and I have to decide between Parsons and Philly U. Both have great programs.

Somebody please help me out!

Are There Any West Coast Fashion Schools?

Does any one know if there are any good Fashion Schools in the West Coast?
the ones i've heard that are good are Academy of Art and Otis School of Design...are there any other ones any of you heard about?

oh and i hear you can transfer easily to Parsons or Fit from them...

There's FIDM .... Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Los Angeles. Don't know much about it and how good it is ... but it is reputable. It's right downtown in the Fashion District.

Look into Brooks College. When I was applying to schools out there, Brooks was a really good design school, or so they said, in Santa Monica, I think.

thanks you guys. but have you also heard about academy of art? what you do you think

oh and i got accepted into fidm. but anyone can get accepted into it. Its so expensive and its only two year...i hear its not so great. a lot of wanabe's too...wellthats just wat i hear. but i dont know about anyone who attends it, its up to them

Qtinez7 said:
thanks you guys. but have you also heard about academy of art? what you do you think

i went to academy of art's mfa graphic design program...
the fashion department is pretty good...
the designers y & kei went there...
i went to the fashion show a few days ago and alexander mcqueen was there...

Qtinez7 said:

oh and i got accepted into fidm. but anyone can get accepted into it. Its so expensive and its only two year...i hear its not so great. a lot of wanabe's too...wellthats just wat i hear. but i dont know about anyone who attends it, its up to them

I attended FIDM in San Diego and I thought it was a great school. I was also under the impression that anyone with enough money could attend FIDM, but there were some really talented people in my classes. A few of them were even accepted into Parsons, something they knew would not have happened had they not gotten into FIDM.

everyone gets into FIDM. FIDM Is so overrated and basically accepts anyone who shows interest.

Otis College of Art & Design is the only fashion school on the West Coast that are on the level of the big fashion schools in NYC, if not better, including Parsons. Not only was Otis the Los Angeles sister school to Parsons, but Otis has been beating out Parsons kids in design competitions.

California College of the Arts is good if you're interested in the artistic side of fashion

Otis is more commercial, which is the way it is suppose to be at any real design school.

MarcJacobsgirl said:
I'm really struggling on deciding which school I want to transfer to- I want to study Fashion Merchandising and I have to decide between Parsons and Philly U. Both have great programs.

Somebody please help me out!

if you have enough money to afford parsons, go to parsons, although FIT is better for fashion merchandising than is Parsons. Parsons is better with Fashion Design. But if you do have the money to afford Parsons meaning you wont be taking out any big loans(over 30K) just to attend the school than go to Parsons.

If you have to take out big loans to go to Parsons, don't go and attend Philly U. Because in the end a lot of fashion merchandising is climing up in a company and networking. Or interning and working your way to the top.

Like myself. I just barely got my first year of school done(out of 4) and already I've interviewed with places for an assistant buying position, and I'm not even majoring in fashion merchandising. Currently I'm doing visual merchandising for a retail store, and guess what?(I'm not majoring in fashion merchandising) I got the paid visuals job i have now after interning at another place(without pay).

Last edited by a moderator:
Study Options

Hi,
Anybody from Academy of Art,SF or FIDM,San Francisco!!
I was planning to go for masters in fashion merchandising at academy of art.I have got really confused with three options in hand.
1. Do masters from academy of art(2yrs)
2.Do a advance professional designation programme at FIDM,San Francisco(9months)
3.Go for an MBA at (2yrs)

Please advise the best coarse of action.I have a one year diploma in fashion design and 5 years work experience in wholesale merchandising and product development (in India)but have not worked since last 3 years being a stay home mom and my visa status in US.I am trying to return to work again.What do I opt to gain a job in US apparel industry.

Would appreciate your suggestions.

Academy Of Art, San Francisco

Hi,

Anybody from Academy of Art, SF or FIDM,San Francisco!!

I was planning to go for masters in fashion merchandising at academy of art.I have got really confused with three options in hand.

1. Do masters from academy of art(2yrs)
2.Do a advance professional designation programme at FIDM,San Francisco(9months)
3.Go for an MBA at (2yrs)

Please advise the best coarse of action.I have a one year diploma in fashion design and 5 years work experience in wholesale merchandising and product development (in India)but have not worked since last 3 years being a stay home mom and my visa status in US.I am trying to return to work again.What do I opt to gain a job in US apparel industry.

Would appreciate your suggestions.

With all honesty, a one year diploma won't get you into any of the programs. To get a Masters degree in the US you need a Bachelors Degree, meaning 4 years.

Second, FIDM only requires an AA Degree to do the Professional Designation Program, however in the US the Professional Designation Program means nothing in terms of reputable degree. It's just a certificicate, which won't qualify you for entry level jobs anywhere unless you have experience.

I would recommend just aiming to get your Associates Degree(AA) in Fashion Merchandising, or Business, or anything relateable, or even aim for Bachelor's Degree.

Just for your information this is the level of degrees in the US.

Certificate is at the lowest.
Associates Degree comes second, usually takes 2 years to get.
Bachelor's Degree comes third, usually it takes 4 years to get.
Masters Degree comes fourth, usually takes 2 years to get after you get your bachelors, you cannot get a masters degree without a bachelors degree.
and so on and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->