American / United States Fashion Schools

I have a Q(on marketing for fashion:(
I want to major in Marketing, BUT I still I still want to work in the fashion industry. I am confused on whether to go to a fashion school(like FIT) or just a regular state school (like USC or NYU) for that???

ErutuoC-
Im kind of in the same place, confused as to how about about my schooling. I wanna do Fashion PR or Marketing, possibly styling, and ultimately want to be a fashion director.

From what I've learned, I guess your personal love/knowledge/professionalism around fashion will lead you further than any particular major or school.

I'd like any advice as well though! : )

FIDM is definately a good school. I love their curriculum (sp i know) and their connections with the industry. Half of the contestants from Project Runway are FIDM graduates, and one of them still teaches there. I dont know why all the negative reviews but i love going there.

2 yr fashion school VS 4 yr university for fashion design?

Hi all!

My name is Urszula and I am new to this board. I would like to know if anyone can help me with my following dilemma:

I currently reside outside of Philadelphia, PA and I am 21 years old. I will be attending school again this coming summer/fall, but not quite sure which school to choose. I plan on majoring in Fashion Design as this is my lifelong passion. I'm just not sure which way to go education wise..

I recently got accepted to two schools: FIDM out in LA and Philadelphia University here at home. For the longest time I've been wanting to move out to LA, but each summer I tried it just wasn't the right time. I recently got accepted to FIDM for Apparel Manufacturing Management (since they believe this would be the best major for me because I want to travel internationally in the fashion industry.. I do believe I am going to change it to Fashion Design though.) The first time I heard about this school was 4 years ago. It really interested me and then I kinda forgot about pursuing an education in FD and instead go towards International Business. When I went out there last month to visit the school I knew that it was just me. This school is me! I visited LA a handful of times before, also and I do like it out there. So when I thought I had my decision I ended up back to where I was in the beginning - very confused and stressed out on what to do.

The reason being why it's such a hard choice for me to make is because it's the school that I feel is me, but here at home I have a boyfriend who is the love of my life. If I stay here at Philly University I would move in with him and obtain my degree from here (or even transfer to get a BA at Parson's). He believes this is the best choice for me along with my family, but I don't know. I love him and he loves me and we feel that we are meant to be with one another. I never felt like this with anyone. He says that later on when I finish school that we both can move out there together. And then I'm thinking if I go out there I can take a advanced program at FIDM for a year after graduating with my BA.

Does anyone know if it really makes a difference whether you have a 2 year degree or a 4 year degree in Fashion Design? Also, I'm afraid that Philly doesn't have the benefit of contacts in the industry like LA does. Also, if anyone has any advice on FIDM and on their placement employers please feel free to let me know. You can also contact me by pm
Thank you.

Take care,
Urszula

edit: we dont allow personal mails on the forums, please see tFS guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Master's Degrees in merchandising/planning, etc. NON-design positions?
Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a school for Communication Arts types of things- graphic design/advertising design..but so I could work in a marketing/advertising type agency. I'd love to break away and move to the west coast..but I've heard so many mixed things about FIDM not preparing students for after college, etc. I live in NYS so FIT or Parsons would be closer, but I don't know where to start to compare the schools or the coasts. Any help!?!

Are these fashion programs in these any good?

Hello I am applying to FIT and I know where everyone stand on that school I was searching and found some schools in the New York area that has a Fashion Merchandising and Management program. Any feedback would be good.

Wood Tobe Coburn School

City University of New York: New York City College of Technology

Cazenovia College

Katherine Gibbs

Berekeley College

2 yr VS 4 yr education?

Hello!

My name is Ursula and I am recently new to this board. I have a question in hopes I can get advice from this site. I currently am accepted to FIDM LA and also Philadelphia University, both for the fashion design field. I hear many great and bad things about both schools, but would like to know if many believe that four year education with a liberal background is more beneficial than going to a 2 year specialty college?

Any advice will be much appreciated. Also, any current or alumni that are from these schools please post your thoughts.

Thank you.

Take care,
Ursula

ursula, your post is been merged to our usa schools thread, please dont flood the forums by starting new topics just on you, thanks

this here will also get merged soon to the usa schoold thread

well i am currently a senior...and i applied to FIT for Fall 2006, and i did not get in...

i wanted to go there for the fashion merchandising/management program...

ive decided to go to UC Riverside (really my only option =/ ) and just take the business courses there..

i was wondering what i would need to transfer to FIT(certain classes, requirements, etc...), how hard it would be for me to transfer to FIT, and how long i would have to wait to transfer...

i know that students typically get to transfer after 2 years...but i plan on transferring as soon as possible...

i know that i still am not gauranteed admission to FIT even if i transfer...so i need some suggestions on what would be best for me to get into their school as of now...

i also planned on getting a degree in menswear after i finished my FMM degree...would that be possible? or would i have to re apply and go through the admissions process all over again...

is FIDM a 2 yr college? I'm beggining to think that maybe FIT would be better for marketing/communications arts types of things. Even though I'd love to be on the west coast for an adventure. BIIIG sigh. No clue what I'll do.

ngbetter11... do you mind me asking what your average was? And if you had any fashion experiance before you applied to FIT?

ngbetter11... do you mind me asking what your average was? And if you had any fashion experiance before you applied to FIT?

average as in gpa?

it was a 3.2 =/

and the only fashion experience i had was a fashion merch. class at my school, and some art classes at the community college...

but the thing is, i applied for fashion merch./management...so i didnt need to put together a portfolio or anything like that

Yeah, i'm applying for that program.. and the PR one next year.
You not getting in with that gpa makes me nervous.

Do you have any tips as to what you would have done differntly?

costume studies

Do anyone knowing something about the Costume Studies program in Seneca College? :flower:

im pretty sure if i did better gpa wise i would have had a slightly better chance...

it is also good to have some kind of experience that deals with the fashion industry imo...

whether its just taking a fashion design program, or interning for a clothing company, etc...

im not sure what grade you are in right now...but if you have the time...try and do stuff like that during the summer, and next year...

there was a girl at my school that got into FIT and im not sure what her GPA was, but she had alot of experience in fashion...i think she interned for some company in NY during the summer, and she was involved with alot of fashion related activities around or school (like fashion club, prom fashion show, fashion design contests, etc...)

even if you are going to major in the business side of fashion, it doesnt hurt to have some experience in the design field...

thats just my opinion...

maybe someone who actually got in can give you a better answer =/

Ah! I'm so happy to hear that!

I work at a (canadian) fashion magazine as a student intern, and at a very well known high end department store... as well as work for a fashion agency... and i have been assisting a stylist latly.

but my gpa isn't so amazing.

i am so nervous.. i apply at the end of this year.

ngbetter11 said:
im pretty sure if i did better gpa wise i would have had a slightly better chance...

it is also good to have some kind of experience that deals with the fashion industry imo...

whether its just taking a fashion design program, or interning for a clothing company, etc...

im not sure what grade you are in right now...but if you have the time...try and do stuff like that during the summer, and next year...

there was a girl at my school that got into FIT and im not sure what her GPA was, but she had alot of experience in fashion...i think she interned for some company in NY during the summer, and she was involved with alot of fashion related activities around or school (like fashion club, prom fashion show, fashion design contests, etc...)

even if you are going to major in the business side of fashion, it doesnt hurt to have some experience in the design field...

thats just my opinion...

maybe someone who actually got in can give you a better answer =/

Did you have to write an essay to put with application for FIT?

Ah! I'm so happy to hear that!

I work at a (canadian) fashion magazine as a student intern, and at a very well known high end department store... as well as work for a fashion agency... and i have been assisting a stylist latly.

but my gpa isn't so amazing.

i am so nervous.. i apply at the end of this year.

it sounds like you have a real good chance at getting in...im sure as long as your gpa is at least over 3.0 and your essay is strong...you can get in..

Did you have to write an essay to put with application for FIT?

ya you have to write an essay...its the typical college admissions essay though...the prompt is on the FIT site..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->