Antwerp Royal Academy

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by Mutterlein, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

After researching various design schools this is my ideal one. Too bad I don't speak a lick of Dutch. Does anyone know if there is an itty bitty chance they teach in english as well?

2. faust

faust New Member

Very big chance. Danish design schools (especially interior) have a great variety of international students. Contact them.

<Edit> Oh, never mind, your not speaking "Danish" threw me off. I'd still think that in Antwerp they would teach in English, having become a fashion capital. Ask Scott, maybe he knows. BTW, I believe the language is Flemish.

3. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

There is a PDF file on the schools site which offers info about the courses. On page 6 it says the following:

It then goes on to explain the accommodations made for foreign students in the first year. From the second year on, students are expected to know Dutch.

PDF

Hogeschool Antwerpen-Fashion department

4. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Precisely,stylegurrl. But I can tell you one thing,however,nobody foreign outside the school speaks the language much.

5. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

Unfortunately for many foreign students, most of the European (fashion) schools require them to know the local language. :( I am facing such a problem. I have to become fluent in French before I can attend Mod'Spe (Paris). This means that I will have to spend 6-8 months abroad studying the language before I can even apply to the school. :( :wacko:

6. Mutterlein

Well that counts me out. *sigh* and it is such a good school!

7. faust

faust New Member

Why not learn the language?

8. Mutterlein

I was about to edit my message right after I posted it. I think I will learn the language. I am familiar with how it works already. I have a year now to study and a year when I get there to learn more.

9. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

this is my problem i whant to go to studio bercot but i don't know much french, but i'm planing to take some time of before colleg and live with my friends in french, so hopefuly i will learn anof.

10. Mr-Dale

Mr-Dale Unveil Yourself....

Dutch is definetlt not easy to learn though....

11. Dark Princess

Dark Princess New Member

I think Dutch is easy to understand when you are reading it. I find it really hard to understand what people are actually saying. I've spent lots of time there over the last three years and still cannot understand much. Am I correct in thinking that Flemish is a mix between Dutch and French? Maybe that's easier to understand... Also my friend goes to a design school in Den Haag and she is allowed to write all her papers in English, even though it's a totally Dutch school.

12. Mr-Dale

No Flemish is Dutch with an accent....I live in Holland so it's pretty easy for me lol

13. Mutterlein

No. But what I am finding is that it isn't too too different from german (a language I am somewhat familiar with). But the Syntax in Dutch is just crazy! I think with some dedicated practice I could get the hang of it.

14. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

I think the Academy actually offers a language course for forgeign students so you probably wouldn't have to go that route if you get accepted Mutterlein.

Why is Dutch/Flemish so difficult? For me,the dialect was very familiar in pronunciation as English so I learned alot of words. If I had stayed longer than three months,I probably could have spoke full sentences.

15. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

also if you live in a palce you will learn the language fast

16. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

Yah, isn't Dutch, English's closest relative?

17. Mr-Dale

Yes that is true...

18. Boy

Boy New Member

i woulndt let this one thing bring you down i know a lot of people there that don't even speak english :D

so give it a try i would say

its great if you really wanna do it

19. Acid

Acid yes

does anyone know if this is the school with the fashion museum and its on National Straat ??

ive been there and its REALLY cool....they get all the patterns from couture houses to study.
    also antwerp is SUCH a creative city.......there are beautiful beautiful stores there

check out Baby Beluga
    its so chic.......i swear if it was in London it would be THE haunt of every style girl

20. faust

faust New Member

I think that's the school. I'm not sure if the school itself is on Nationalstraat, but the museum is.

Here is the link for the museum (it also contains the link for the school).

http://www.modenatie.com/

Yea, I love Antwerp too. I've been there twice and I definitely will go again.