Antwerp Royal Academy

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by Mutterlein, Aug 13, 2004.

1. XxXRedRubYXxX

XxXRedRubYXxX Tobias Funke

In the email I got back from the school administrator it read
    and I converted the euro to the dollar and it was 607,170.00 EUR = 769,641.30 USD. So I think thats about the right number if I am not mistaken.

2. ChristianThomas

You are mistaken and thank god for that.. :wink:

The email says: €6071.70..

You misinterpreted the comma.

3. XxXRedRubYXxX

XxXRedRubYXxX Tobias Funke

OMFG I can't stop ****ing laughing right now.. I am such an IDIOT!!!! :rofl::rofl::stuart::lol:. This is *in stewie's voice* hilarious .. I will definitely register for that exam in September now..^_^ Thanks sooooo much ChristianThomas! :heart:.

4. Jungla_Juana

Jungla_Juana technicolor tweed

I just took a look at the tuition fee for the BA is 660 euro for international students... did they misplace a comma or is this actually the fee ???

5. fashionified

fashionified New Member

so, i have some questions about this school, in case anyone has any ideas about it.
    1st, do they provide lesson in english? and whether they have a master degree? i saw their 4 years course, and seems like their last year is a MA? or just a BA but they call it "master"? i've graduated in BA for fashion design.. i was wondering whether it'd be possible to take their last year (if it's indeed an MA degree) thank! :smile:

6. Teratel

Teratel Active Member

All courses are taught in Dutch.

Language of teaching
    In the first year, however, foreign students are given facilities, fore instance in the way of taking exams (e.g. oral in English instead of written in Dutch). In the artistic studios, and theoretical courses, most teachers speak and understand English and/ or French.
    Our policy is to give first-year-students the opportunity to learn Dutch during their first year in Flanders. In different institutions in the city of Antwerp, there are courses Dutch for foreign students. Talking Dutch with the teachers and colleague students and friends helps quit a lot. From the second year on, every student is supposed to understand, speak, read and write Dutch, not necessarily perfect, but understandable.

7. Teratel

Teratel Active Member

Degree or certificate

Foreign
    − a degree of higher education with full curriculum − a degree or certificate that by virtue of or pursuant to a law, decree, European directive
    or international agreement is recognized as the equivalent. If such recognition is lacking, the college of higher education can, in a reasoned decision, admit students who obtained a degree in a country outside the European Union that allows them to enrol for the equivalent higher education in that country, to enrol for the basic training.
    − a Dutch VWO or MBO degree (min. 4 years) or a certificate of a successfully passed proaedeutic examination.
    − a High School degree (USA) with a record of transcripts (credits) specifying at least 4 Advanced Placements
    − Diplôme du Baccalauréat (France) − Zeugnis der Allgem. Hochschulreife (Germany).

Passing the entrance examination

All candidates must pass the test, including Secondary Education in the Arts graduates.
    Apart from their resumé and a written motivation, applicants have to present a portfolio containing drawings, sketches, photographs, slides, etc.
    During the entrance examination several competences will be tested. Basic skills and competences:
    reading, speaking and writing in a comprehensive way; knowledge of foreign languages; knowledge of and proven interest in history, art history, cultural and sociopolitical matters.
    Attitudes: interest in the chosen course or discipline and in knowledge acquisition, general curiosity and openness to new experiences and ideas, communicativity and sociality.
    The entrance examination will be completed by practical tests like drawing from observation, colorstudies and a test specifically relating to the discipline chosen by the applicant.
    The result of the test will be notified after the deliberation following the examination period.
    Enrolment for the entrance examination: At the secretariat, every working day from 09.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m., at least two weeks before the examination period.

Required documents:
    the school enrolment form available at the secretariat a photocopy of the identity card a photocopy of the degree of higher secondary education or an equivalent document. two passport photographs
    The enrolment for the entrance examination is free.
    At registration applicants will be given specific assignments for the practical test. Information on materials, tools and other things needed will be provided.

8. Teratel

Teratel Active Member

9. nikita27

nikita27 New Member

Hey,

Anyone has a clue on the books/tutorials/videos or any form of educational tool used by the Fashion department of the Antwerp Royal Academy?

I am specifically interested in the design books and not the technical ones!

10. nikita27

nikita27 New Member

Guys, Is there a possibility to take the test online?... I cant go there to write the test

11. IloveDiorHomme

IloveDiorHomme Well-Known Member

Tools ?

What a joke, there are no tools. You get a few xeroxes which are not translated for the foreign students. This school is broke and has barely 15 sewing machines haha and nothing more.

12. pe77

pe77 New Member

Is there anyone applying for 2014/15?

13. tatouejeremie

tatouejeremie Well-Known Member

businessoffashion.com

#253 tatouejeremie, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited by moderator HiDawl: Apr 26, 2018
  14. tatouejeremie

tatouejeremie Well-Known Member

businessoffashion.com

15. perfect blue

perfect blue Well-Known Member

I always wondered what are the chances of even getting accepted into this or something like Central Saint Martins or Parsons. I couldn't get into any of these schools and it broke my heart very much. I've always wanted to learn fashion design by the best classes.

16. perfect blue

perfect blue Well-Known Member

I flew from America to Belgium to try getting accepted into the school. I did not get accepted, despite building a portfolio for a year and practicing illustration skills that I did not have before. It was extremely competitive, with mostly younger students taking the entrance exam. They only accepted like 12 students out of (I'm guessing) 200-250 students the week that I was there.

The exam took place over two days. The first day I drew for 8 hours - impressionistic drawings of student's garments and life drawings of people. The second day was about 6 hours of drawing, drawing only garments. After that we were interviewed.

I was pretty devastated about not being accepted since I spent so much of my time, money, and energy just even trying to get into the school. But I was not shocked since it is a prestigious design school. I am also 30 years old which I no doubt played a huge factor in not getting accepted. I honestly think I'm just not going to try getting into a fashion school anymore. I keep getting rejected - either I don't have the talent, knowledge, appeal, youth, or all of the above.