Antwerp Royal Academy

I'm really interested in this school.It said on their website that they take approximately 60 people for the first year but there are usually less than 20 people stayed in the final year. Can anyone kindly explain this?

Kerry, it basically means that out of the 60 students which apply for first year, approximately 20 remain in the final year. The school is not only very prestigious but very very work intensive which means the students tend to get very stressed and many cannot keep up with the curriculum or simply drop out because they realize that maybe fashion is not the path for them. Possibly students fail as well, I know that high fashion design schools can get very competetive and tough.

For anyone who was wondering about applications, YOU MUST PHYSICALLY BE AT THE ACADEMY AT 9AM DURING THE EXAMINATIONS PERIOD, there is more than one exam day. You must bring:

-CV
-Application Essay (why you want to attend the school for the desired course)
-Portfolio

Be prepared to do watercolor still lifes, casting sketches and fashion sketches during the exam. I am pretty sure the testing period is late June or early July.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question's stupid,I should have known that.Thank you so much,DiamondButts! Getting into the school's tough but after that, it seems even harder to survive four years. Maybe working with the best of the best makes one feel insignificant.

Do they require any experience in art and design? If they do, I think I should stop dreaming:D

Kerry, it basically means that out of the 60 students which apply for first year, approximately 20 remain in the final year. The school is not only very prestigious but very very work intensive which means the students tend to get very stressed and many cannot keep up with the curriculum or simply drop out because they realize that maybe fashion is not the path for them. Possibly students fail as well, I know that high fashion design schools can get very competetive and tough.

For anyone who was wondering about applications, YOU MUST PHYSICALLY BE AT THE ACADEMY AT 9AM DURING THE EXAMINATIONS PERIOD, there is more than one exam day. You must bring:

-CV
-Application Essay (why you want to attend the school for the desired course)
-Portfolio

Be prepared to do watercolor still lifes, casting sketches and fashion sketches during the exam. I am pretty sure the testing period is late June or early July.

Thank you DB!

Do we need to register for the examination at all before that or is it as simple as just showing up for the exam with all these things in hand?

I too am having some difficulty getting concrete information from the Academy. Any help about the application/admissions process would be so so very much appreciated!

Thank you DB!

Do we need to register for the examination at all before that or is it as simple as just showing up for the exam with all these things in hand?

I too am having some difficulty getting concrete information from the Academy. Any help about the application/admissions process would be so so very much appreciated!

Hey herrmine,

Think we need to register for the examination. :blink:

Artistic Entrance Exam (2009) form:
http://www.artesis.be/academie/upload/docs/International/inschrijving_toelatingsex_en_09.pdf

Please send the following documents to the student office (Royal Academy of Fine Arts,Mustsaardstraat 31, 2000 Antwerpen)
1 this registration form (signed)
2 a copy of your passport (identity card)​
3 a copy of the certificate of higher education and a document which grants you access to a University or University College

Entrance requirements for students applying for the Bachelor Program : http://www.artesis.be/academie/internationaal/foreign-students.htm
  • Diploma higher secondary education (to be submitted during registration for the entrance exam). If the original language of the diploma is not Dutch, English, French or German, a sworn translation is required.
  • Certificate (in Dutch, English, French, German, or a sworn translation) that allows admission to university in the country of origin (to be submitted during registration for the entrance exam).
  • Passing the artistic entrance exams.
I sent them an email last friday asking for more information but still haven't heard anything :doh:

this is my school of choice also, the website is impossible and they do not reply to emails. I finally have asked a dutch friend to call them and he is going to do that tomorrow (hopefully).

I'd love to hear more information about the application process and what is expected at the exam. I've never done still lifes for instance so now I know I better learn how!

DB, or anyone else with some experience, can you please pipe up with a bit more detail?

Also, does anyone have any idea what international tuition is? I assume it is similiar to CSM...?

Questions???

Does anyone go here, I would really like to ask some questions?

Hi, what is
"Certificate (in Dutch, English, French, German, or a sworn translation) that allows admission to university in the country of origin (to be submitted during registration for the entrance exam)."?

Hi, what is
"Certificate (in Dutch, English, French, German, or a sworn translation) that allows admission to university in the country of origin (to be submitted during registration for the entrance exam)."?

i think maybe its your birth certificate ,or your high school diploma. I don't know though.

marcjacobslove, I believe that would be a graduation diploma which signifies the completetion of your secondary school education.

Anyone here planning on attending the exam dates on July 1st and 2nd?

I was planning on going to the exam, but than I started talking to someone who used to go there and apparently they don't help you get internships so I decided it wasn't the school for me :(

They may not help but I do hear they work very closesly with the Flanders Fashion Institute which works very diligently to help represent fashion from Belgium and help graduates of RAFA, also RAFA's final year show gets ridiculous press, you'll see the designers in blogs and papers all over the place. I think RAFA actually may be one of the best schools of the now, even Polish magazines are covering it. I think it's worth the application regardless, Antwerp is an emerging design hub with great location (London, Paris, Copenhagen, Berlin all within close range!) and having RAFA behind you is great for when you do have to find an internship. I think the fact that the school itself doesn't provide you with the rescources for internship shouldn't deter you from applying. From what I've seen and heard it's a great school which promotes creativity!
Wow this turned into a rant, but regardless I DO THINK YOU SHOULD CONSIDER IT!
Check out the Flanders Fashion Institute, I haven't been on the page in a while but it should give you some information.

Heya
There’s almost more information here than I could get from them. And wow, I’ve been trying. I’m applying for the BA, flights booked, arriving on the 30th of june for the july dates. I got into CSM last year for menswear BA but couldn’t afford it (bloody economy), so decided I’d rather start dutch lessons and go here. Much cheaper, plus I think the standard of work is far more remarkable in terms of design innovation (from first year to MA).
Has anyone done the entrance exam before? So does anyone know a breakdown of events apart from the ones they give in their emails?

Also, little bit off topic, as this is going to be my first time in Antwerp, and am going to be there for two weeks, where’s nice to go out, have coffee, eat, do anything? Maybe just a site link for me.

Thanks in advance

They may not help but I do hear they work very closesly with the Flanders Fashion Institute which works very diligently to help represent fashion from Belgium and help graduates of RAFA, also RAFA's final year show gets ridiculous press, you'll see the designers in blogs and papers all over the place. I think RAFA actually may be one of the best schools of the now, even Polish magazines are covering it. I think it's worth the application regardless, Antwerp is an emerging design hub with great location (London, Paris, Copenhagen, Berlin all within close range!) and having RAFA behind you is great for when you do have to find an internship. I think the fact that the school itself doesn't provide you with the rescources for internship shouldn't deter you from applying. From what I've seen and heard it's a great school which promotes creativity!
Wow this turned into a rant, but regardless I DO THINK YOU SHOULD CONSIDER IT!
Check out the Flanders Fashion Institute, I haven't been on the page in a while but it should give you some information.

I would still apply but the application process would be so complected. I would have to fly to Antwerp from LA, so a plane ticket round trip for me and my mom would be around 1000 and that's not including a hotel. I would also not be able to accept any other schools because the first time you can apply is the june befor the school year stars.

Heya
There’s almost more information here than I could get from them. And wow, I’ve been trying. I’m applying for the BA, flights booked, arriving on the 30th of june for the july dates. I got into CSM last year for menswear BA but couldn’t afford it (bloody economy), so decided I’d rather start dutch lessons and go here. Much cheaper, plus I think the standard of work is far more remarkable in terms of design innovation (from first year to MA).
Has anyone done the entrance exam before? So does anyone know a breakdown of events apart from the ones they give in their emails?

Also, little bit off topic, as this is going to be my first time in Antwerp, and am going to be there for two weeks, where’s nice to go out, have coffee, eat, do anything? Maybe just a site link for me.

Thanks in advance
I sent them 2 email. It took 2 months after the 2nd to get a reply. They sent me some attachments, so if you want them send me your email. I also have some Q&A with Mintyyy that I could send you.

Katherine

hi, can somebody who has access to www.catwalkpictures.com please post following collections?

it's the antwerp fashion academy show 2009 and the names of the students are:

- tomohiro tokita (3rd year)

- cédric jacquemyn

and for la cambre 2009:

- lucile puton (5th year)

thanks in advance! :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some images of Puton from fashionmag.com...

putonlacambre200901m.jpg

putonlacambre200903m.jpg

putonlacambre200904m.jpg

putonlacambre200905m.jpg

putonlacambre200907m.jpg

putonlacambre200909m.jpg

putonlacambre200911m.jpg

putonlacambre200912m.jpg

fr.fashionmag.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads