Australia / New Zealand: Fashion Schools

i understand there are a lot of negative views of FBI here but are there any current students here or very recent students..

im wanting to find out if it is worthwhile to do the course to get a job in buying as atm there is nothing.. i have a degree behind me so its not the content of the course im worried about, just the job prospects..

Hi does anyone know anyone doing Fashion Marketing at Raffles? I have an interview for a scholarship in 2 days time and I really don't know what to expect. Am I expected to bring a portfolio/moodboard/scrapbook for this particular course,I'm thinking since it's fashion marketing I wouldn't need to but I just wanted to make sure. Also,what kind of questions will they ask for a fashion marketing course interview?

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds really appealing GWOD, i find that where i am at a sunshine coast tafe very dull in atmosphere, very few students have the attitude of fashion fashion fashion. Though i do have one friend that wants to move to sydney next year so im might look into it.

Are you doing the diploma/certificate? Or advanced?

does anyone know about Fashion courses in Brisbane? I know theres creative industries at QUT and Fine arts Fashion too. I'm currently doing BA Design on the sunny coast and looking to change.

hi all this is such a good thread! i am from perth and currently looking at either going to Melb school of fashion [or RMIT maybe] or to the Fashion Business Insitute in Sydney to study a Cert IV Fashion Business. i would love any feedback, opinions on either school or course as i would have to relocate and dont want to waste money/time :shock:. i do love design but do not yet feel 100% sure thats what i want to do [currently studying fashion at tafe in perth]. im more interested in the styling/PR side of fashion :heart:.
as i said anyones feedback would be appreciated! thanks in advance

I know somebody who is in UTS and she says that the dropout rate is incredible, a lot of students can't handle it apparently.

Really? I have friends doing fashion at UTS and they say they have lots of assignments but not over the top or anything, especially compared to other design majors at UTS e.g. architecture or industrial design.
In any case, like priss I was looking for some current students of FBI in Sydney. Is it really that bad? I'm currently studying a double degree and so qualifications are not what I'm looking for, I'd just like to learn the fundamentals of fashion illustration or design as I think it'll help what I'm currently studying. There's a short course at Whitehouse that looks awesome but FBI seems slightly cheaper and more flexible (can you put these on HECS?)

So apparently im getting the view that UNIVERSITIES are the best and most effective/effecient for alot of things... ive still got alot to look at =(

Really? I have friends doing fashion at UTS and they say they have lots of assignments but not over the top or anything, especially compared to other design majors at UTS e.g. architecture or industrial design.
In any case, like priss I was looking for some current students of FBI in Sydney. Is it really that bad? I'm currently studying a double degree and so qualifications are not what I'm looking for, I'd just like to learn the fundamentals of fashion illustration or design as I think it'll help what I'm currently studying. There's a short course at Whitehouse that looks awesome but FBI seems slightly cheaper and more flexible (can you put these on HECS?)

yeah I did a 2 day fashion sketching course with whitehouse with my school, and it was only 50 dollars, and it was pretty good

but The actually price for the 2 day course was really expensive, I wouldnt have paid that much.

i got accepted into FBI was really serious bout enrolling btu wanted to just suss it out a bit more first.. spoke to friends who know ppl at ACP magazines, a big international designer and major department stores (i just rang up HR hehe) and they all said basically its not worth doing it, you dont need to do it just keep doing what your doing - looking for jobs everyday!! so i decided to save my $4000!! (this was for the business course, design maybe different) they may have contacts so they hear about more jobs i guess but i just didnt think it was worth it

liketati - how was raffles interview?? i really wish i had of know about them when i started uni 5 years ago.. now im done and graduated i aint going back :(

Dont do TAFE at nambour. Im not sure about other TAFE's, but mine is ridiculously unorganised and unproffesional.

i was thinking about doing a diploma of business at FBI next year, but has anyone done the statement of atainment in design, I was thinking of doing it because i want to get into buying, but i can barely sow a button.

i dont think you need to know how to sew for buying.. save your money hun it aint worth it :smile:

thanks.
i think i pretty much have to go to FBI, cos i cant go to raffles or whitehouse because i havnt completed year 12, and Tafe doesnt offer the same contacts and work placements as FBI does.

Whitehouse Institue of Design - Sydney

Is there anyone who is studying Fashion Design at Whitehouse at the moment or has previously studied there? I was just wondering what the experience there is like, also how many days a week do you attend and hours per day? Thanks.

I have known a few people to study and WH... it has a very good reputation within the industry. The people I know have all completed their courses and not left half way. There is another Sydney based fashion college that i've had about 10 interns from over the past year... not one had completed her studies due to losing interest or lack of support from the college.
Whitehouse 110% :smile:

Don't think i've responded to this thread so I'll give it a go..

I finished up FBI last year (started a while before that, took a while to get it done) and to be honest I wouldn't really bother with it unless your having problems finding work placement in the industry... basically your paying $4,000 for work experience... but if that's what you want, they're fairly well connected in Sydney. If you want the business qualification, just get a degree... I started studying through Open Unis (don't have to have finished year 12) and will be finishing up a Bachelor of business with Monash this year... One subject will blitz what you learn at FBI.

I think the thing to consider when choosing which course to do should also be what you want to do with your qualification. If you want to work in Australia, the TAFE diplomas will serve you well, and this applies if you just want to start your own label straight out of school as well.

But if your wanting to spend some time designing for any of the big multinational companies, I would seriously look at getting your degree. It's really too competitive not to have it. UTS is good, but you'll have to blitz your year 12 exams to get in....

Personally I will be applying for RMIT next year (old mother hen at 22, but when you know what you want... B) ). Not only is the course considered excellent, but if you don't have the funds to do an entire course overseas, they have exchange partnerships with both F.I.T (fashion institute of technology) and Parsons... two of the world's best schools in New York. I really don't see how any other Australian schools can compete with that....

Just my honest opinion anyway :flower:

i was thinking about doing a diploma of business at FBI next year, but has anyone done the statement of atainment in design, I was thinking of doing it because i want to get into buying, but i can barely sow a button.

I know this is repeating what the above poster said but perhaps you could do open foundation and then a business degree at uni. My friend (who never worked in fashion and is from regional nsw) did a marketing major and is in buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MmeColbert
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->