Burberry Prorsum F/W 08.09 : Rosie Huntington-Whiteley & Sam Riley by Mario Testino

Rosie doesn't quite fit for me...while she is gorgeous she isn't to me what i imagine a burberry girl to look like - not quite classy and british enough. Sam on the other hand, is perfect! He looks great in all the long coats, captures the drama of the setting and black/white images.

I love this campaigan Sam Riley is gorgeous he's amazing in control =) & Rosie looks great to. As a 'couple' they look great together.

Rosie doesn't quite fit for me...while she is gorgeous she isn't to me what i imagine a burberry girl to look like - not quite classy and british enough. Sam on the other hand, is perfect! He looks great in all the long coats, captures the drama of the setting and black/white images.

Agree about the Rosie. Even tho I like her she doesnt seem to fit in quite well.

This campaign is starting to grow on me. Rosie is a favorite, and I'm ecstatic that she was chosen, and while I agree that she doesn't seem to be the right fit - I think it works. The photography has become a bit more subdued than in the last few campaigns. For me, I'm a bit more used to the playful, sultry commercial printwork Rosie - this on the other hand is trying to evoke a sense of classicism with a tinge of the contemporary. It's trying to bridge the gap between the old established brand that devoted customers adore with a bit of the modern to draw in new customers. I think teenagers and young adults recognize her more, though they might not know where they've seen her. So if Rosie has the campaign and Burberry benefits, it's a win-win situation and I'm content. :D

I dont understand how Christopher Bailey is all about "Britishness" yet he uses Mario Testino. Could the aestetics be further apart? Seriously, when I think of Testino I think of Gisele in a bikini in Peru on the beach! :lol:

I wish the Creative Team would go with a BRITISH photographer. I mean can't they use David Sims or Nick Knight. Both would convey the British beat of Burberry far more effectively than Testino.

And seriously, the casting SUCKS. Sam Riley is cool but he doesn't work with Rosie. She's too...second rate Miranda Kerr. :lol:

This was a failure for me. I much prefer Agyness and her rock star buddies than this.

i think the campaing is stronge is very brithis, yes have much os 1998 with Stella Tennant but is very diferent of thr SS08 and reflex the concept of the collection yes David Sims, Nick Knight are wondefull photographers but do you think Nick shoting now Burberry? i think is very diferent you photography style, maybe David Sims, yes or Craig mcdean, Meisel etc but one of the reason of Burberry are now so young and have this modernity and success is about Mario Testino .

Argh. I love Burberry, and Rosie just doesn't quite seem to fit for me, for the label. There's just something about her that makes me think she belongs more in Calvin Klein maybe. :unsure:

I dont understand how Christopher Bailey is all about "Britishness" yet he uses Mario Testino. Could the aestetics be further apart? Seriously, when I think of Testino I think of Gisele in a bikini in Peru on the beach! :lol:
I'm not a big Testino fan but your comment is a bit perplexing so I just have to say that while a brand might rely heavily on the visual cliché his customers expect in order to follow them as an ideal of what's "British", I don't think the team that worked to achieve the concept should necessarily be measured by nationality, especially not someone like Testino who's been around long enough to prove he's a highly skilled photographer that hasn't cowardly cornered his work by photographing only his own "exotic" (?) background and is certainly NOT recognised for that but more for his ability to digest and explore different aesthetics and scenarios and translate it all into memorable imagery, which might explain why he was chosen by Burberry as he's probably experienced enough to know what a customer could expect from an All-British label instead of using the now-so insipid David Sims to take a photograph worthy of a studio ed for either Japanese or American Vogue as his work hardly exhibits his identity as a photographer, even more less as an English man IMO.
I can understand how a model or a landscape speak more than a thousand words but a passport over skill for those behind the lens?, a bit limiting, don't you think?.

MulletProof AMAZING coment , my inglish is very bad think 100% with you , obiusly love testino but great coment

I'm not a big Testino fan but your comment is a bit perplexing so I just have to say that while a brand might rely heavily on the visual cliché his customers expect in order to follow them as an ideal of what's "British", I don't think the team that worked to achieve the concept should necessarily be measured by nationality, especially not someone like Testino who's been around long enough to prove he's a highly skilled photographer that hasn't cowardly cornered his work by photographing only his own "exotic" (?) background and is certainly NOT recognised for that but more for his ability to digest and explore different aesthetics and scenarios and translate it all into memorable imagery, which might explain why he was chosen by Burberry as he's probably experienced enough to know what a customer could expect from an All-British label instead of using the now-so insipid David Sims to take a photograph worthy of a studio ed for either Japanese or American Vogue as his work hardly exhibits his identity as a photographer, even more less as an English man IMO.
I can understand how a model or a landscape speak more than a thousand words but a passport over skill for those behind the lens?, a bit limiting, don't you think?.

You completely misunderstood my point. My point was that Bailey is all about using British models, music, etc etc in his creative vision, and that Testino does not reflect this aesthetic.

Obviously Bailey doesn't choose the photographer for the ad campaigns - and you can feel that by looking at Testino's faux-British attitude. It's a subversion of aesthetics which is confusing because you look at Bailey's vision and then it completely goes against Testino's.

Whereas you look at a Sims Burberry campaign and it all clicks.

You completely misunderstood my point. My point was that Bailey is all about using British models, music, etc etc in his creative vision, and that Testino does not reflect this aesthetic.

Obviously Bailey doesn't choose the photographer for the ad campaigns - and you can feel that by looking at Testino's faux-British attitude. It's a subversion of aesthetics which is confusing because you look at Bailey's vision and then it completely goes against Testino's.

Whereas you look at a Sims Burberry campaign and it all clicks.

Do you think Bailey no have influence in the choose of the photographer i think yes in all shoting of the campaing him are in the shooting , and more Brithish of SS08 FW07 SS07 FW06 FW02 FW99, SS200 i think are very brithish the concept maybe do you need chek the historial of the campaing speciality 1998 to 2008.
I think Sims in Burberry The beat parfum have a good work no exelent i think the factor of the photo are Agyness and Fabien Baron no Sims

I love the background so much that I don't notice Rosie/Sam any more, I even pinned up on my wall half of one advert - the half that was all leaves.

I don't mind the idea of the Burberry aesthetic drifting away from some strict sense of 'Britishness' because usually Britishness equates to nothing more than London, such a restrictive set of clichés. This is the autumn that I know by heart every year around me... the autumn in these images belongs to anyone, there are no landmarks to pin you down.

Besides, Burberry shut down a lot of their factories in the UK, so it might be more accurate to have set this somewhere in China. I don't like Burberry's faux-British image when the products themselves aren't authentically manufactured in the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->