Celine S/S 10 Paris

I don't get why everyone loves this. Am I the only one who thinks that this looks like rags and nothing else?

I want that forest green leather mini. I'm confussed. I don't wear green. I don't look good in it and I'm usually not a fan of coloured leather. What is going on.

It must be the power of the Phoebe.

GOOD! so good to see her back!
much more mature, refined... really good! Loewe could use some of this

The shapes, colors and forms are very basic. There is no innovative detail I can see. It actually verges on the too simple,unless one wants to debate the virtues of 90's minimalism.
The general look does reflect AKRIS and LOEWE as previously mentioned.
Perhaps it is the fact she is sorely missed that elicits such responses.

I love Phoebe but I'm a bit underwhelmed. It's a good start but I'm not really excited about the clothes yet. I really don't know the Celine history, besides jetset glamour a la Kors, but
I expected more I guess? But it's a decent start.

Simple, minimal, elegant and classic - the tenants of recession proof design. These are clothes designed to sell and with the exception of a few pieces that could have been edited out it is all very beautiful. I do wonder where the accessories are - Phoebe was very known for creating must have accessories - I was hoping to see a bag or a show that would bowl me over.

The shapes, colors and forms are very basic. There is no innovative detail I can see. It actually verges on the too simple,unless one wants to debate the virtues of 90's minimalism.
The general look does reflect AKRIS and LOEWE as previously mentioned.
Perhaps it is the fact she is sorely missed that elicits such responses.

Yes, I'm sad to say I tend to agree...

It's nice enough and it's very well executed, of course (I'd expect nothing less!), but I just don't think I'm ready for a '90s minimalistic take on the '70s, again, yet.

Especially as I feel this sort of thing has only, really, been away for a few years...

I don't really want fashion cycles to be just 15 or 17 years long, personally - 25 years seems more natural, to me (and was the norm until fairly recently, after all).

I appreciate that fashion often goes a bit minimal during recessions, but I don't think this is a typical recession, at all.

I want something to lift my spirits, not depress me - especially in this economy and TBH, if I wore this, I'd feel as though I was paying a penance for something I haven't done.

Perhaps that's the clever thing about it, though? Most of us weren't to blame for this particular economic slump, but the ones who were, obviously, still have a lot of money, so maybe they'll buy this as a penance? Albeit a fake one!

Certainly, nothing makes me think; 'Oh, I must have that!'; whereas, when Phoebe was at Chloe, something almost always did.

Maybe I just like the work Phoebe did for Chloe, more than I do/will her work for Celine - just as I tend to like the work Lagerfeld did for Chloe, more than I do his work for Chanel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic collection. As people are saying, it really is feminine and simple - and that's an excelent point since many designers cannot combine both things.
I really like its commercial appeal with a certain edge.
I LOVE this coat :heart:

i kind of feel this is going to sell very well in USA ....
and in general will sell very good.

Anyone could do a Celine History Class ??? Coz I only remember Celine with Michael Kors. And I guess if she's had delivered a 200p. inspiration book, there may have been a touch of Celine archives in it. non ?

I really don't see the reason to keep alive a house who's dying like this. The people obviously love Phoebe Philo herself, not Celine ...
They should sign her for her own label.

This seems like the most concise vision we've seen all week in Paris. This collection seems very considered and well thought out.

However, I must admit that I am a little disappointed. I thought her first runway show would be more exciting and would establish the new Celine vocabulary through some kind of exciting shoe or bag.

This collection is very subtle and very commercial, which is I suppose what Celine is about "fashion for everyone".

Overall good collection, but not very exciting. Resort 2010 was much more interesting and more dense with ideas and variety.

From Fashionologie :flower:

Pheobe Philo's First Celine Runway Collection for Spring 2010: The Reviews Are In

Mon, 10/05/09 — 01:35:59 PM

>> For her first runway show since leaving Chloe in 2006 to focus on motherhood, Phoebe Philo sent out a fast-marching group of models swaddled in earth tones, clunky wood wedges, modified trenches, military details, lots of leather, and curiously few handbags, despite Celine's accessory-brand heritage. Bound inspiration books from Philo, containing photos of Kurt Cobain, disco balls, and work by David Sims and Helmut Newton were placed on every seat.

The mood of the collection, one of the season's most anticipated, Philo described as “purposeful and positive.” Backstage, while holding her five-year-old daughter, Maya, who attended the show with Philo's husband, she went on: "I wanted to clean it up, refocus, and present a strong, powerful woman." And of all the expectation: "It's just the beginning. It felt like, just take it easy, just start easy. It's nice to have the bubble of expectations burst. That feels good. Sometimes what people get into their head is unachievable."

In the front row were top photographers David Sims, Mario Testino, Craig McDean; Pucci designer Peter Dundas, who called the collection "wonderful"; and top LVMH brass, including Bernard Arnault, who stood to applaud Philo afterward. As Suzy Menkes put it, "This was an important exercise in making Celine fashion credible. And that was mission accomplished."

How are you supposed to wear those nylon/PVC skirts in summer? You'd burn your as$ straight to the bone. But apart from that the collection is wonderful ^_^

Not liking this. Maybe it because of the colours? Very unapproachable. Also really dislike the bodysuit tops--although not sure if that's just an aspect of the styling. Disappointed.

Sorry but I think overall the whole collection is just way boring, not exciting. The shapes are all so basic to the point that nothing is new. Too much leather/pvc was used, making the clothes look heavy and rather masculine. Maybe because it has Phoebe's name attached to it, that's why everyone's giving the thumbs up. I think her aesthetic was much more suited for Chloe than Celine. Celine's style is much more rigid than Chloe, perhaps minimizing her abilities. But oh well, I'm keeping my hopes up for fall.

I don't think basic=boring,on the contrary, if a desigher makes the basic his/her inspiration to done a great show not depengding on those weired ideas....it is obvious she/he has the ability to make good clothes.I see no boring in phoebe's celine collection,by the way some pieces remind me of ysl(I don't know why ).It's really one of the bests show so far:flower::innocent:

Well, I definitely like this more than most of her Chloe collections, so that's something. There are some really great looks, for example that ivory tie blouse/black leather mini on Freja. But overall I'm left wanting more. I have no problem with minimalism, so that's not an issue, but I think that doing shapes that are this spare with virtually no decoration in extremely neutral colors does have the effect of being a little uninteresting. As it is the shapes are good, and I expect that the fabrics are beautiful, but just the slightest bit of color would have elevated this for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->