Christian Dior F/W 04.05 Paris

Oh my good god. The entire show is now up at style.com and I have to say, this is the ugliest, most horrible collection of clothing I have ever seen in my life. Galliano is on the wrong drugs because this show is a complete and utter train wreck.

I appreciate his exploration of the Poiret coat but the rockabilly inspiration is so heavy-handed. This looks like 1920's Vogue covers meets Hot Topic teen goth! How gross.

:sick: :wacko: :blink: :sick: :yuk: :shock: :dizzy:

Remember ...what u see on the runway doesn't mean what u'll get in reality... if u browse through the racks at the dior store .. u'll find lots of wearable pieces with impeccable details and craftsmanship... Dior RTW is just an extension of Dior's Couture interms of the show itself... very loud, over the top, and larger than life.. but the clothes are definitely more discipline than those on the runway... which are purely showpieces or just-for-loan clothes for the celebrities..

Originally posted by TequilaSF@Mar 4th, 2004 - 3:53 am
Remember ...what u see on the runway doesn't mean what u'll get in reality... if u browse through the racks at the dior store .. u'll find lots of wearable pieces with impeccable details and craftsmanship... Dior RTW is just an extension of Dior's Couture interms of the show itself... very loud, over the top, and larger than life.. but the clothes are definitely more discipline than those on the runway... which are purely showpieces or just-for-loan clothes for the celebrities..
I think we all know that already, but thanks for the reminder. And just exactly what does that achieve, showing bizarre junk on the runway that nobody is going to buy or want to wear, and then filling the store racks with a bunch of completely unrelated designs? Isn't the whole point of a fashion show to give the trade and consumers a sneak preview of what is actually on offer in the stores for the upcoming season? Some people will surely scream "don't you get it? It's for PR and media attention!", well then I'd say this is a truly unconstructive, wasteful, and redundant practice. With other companies fashion is partially about pursuing genuinely good designs, and bringing them to the market. With LVMH, Dior in particular, it's all aboug generating hype among the media, and chanelling it into sales of tacky logoed handbags and slogan tees. :innocent:

Originally posted by Orochian@Mar 4th, 2004 - 12:14 pm
With LVMH, Dior in particular, it's all aboug generating hype among the media, and chanelling it into sales of tacky logoed handbags and slogan tees. :innocent:
very well said :wink:

welcome on board orochian :flower:

:innocent: here we go...

It’s possible that John Galliano’s theatrical proclivities at Christian Dior have reached a critical point of diminishing returns. Or perhaps he just didn’t give his fall collection for the house the attention it needed. Whatever the reason, the show Galliano staged on Wednesday presented a peculiar example of way too much being not quite enough.
....Galliano’s bold handbags, each dangling a giant pair of :blink: dice, flaunted the notion of fashion gambles. On the down side, gigantic coats in garish colors and prints, often decked with boatloads of fur, just look too cartoonish.

Unfortunately, the downside dominated, doing little to reflect the fabulous array of round-the-clock clothes that now happily grace all of those Dior boutiques. Galliano showed not a single item of real daywear or anything that might be translated into something most women could possibly wear by day if their last name isn’t Barnum or Bailey. At times in the past, Galliano has worked ample real-world possibilities into his fantastical runway reveries. Other shows may have been all theater, but he made them so beautiful you didn’t care.

This time, while the dresses dazzled, the rest looked uncharacteristically unbeautiful. As a result, the show clarified what we’ve all longed for for some time: Please, John, just once, knock us out with the real stuff!

extracts & photo from wwd :flower:

Hum... can I say... Hindenburg?
Well... maybe I'm being too harsh!
*tips John on his shoulder*
Hun, may we have whatever you were on when designing this sh* ...erm ....stuff?

Well, whatever your quibbles may be with Galliano, there's a reason why Dior is one of, if not *the* most profitable fashion/makeup/accessories house in the world.

By complaining about his collections you're giving them everything they want in terms of shock value. When people walk into Holts or Saks or something and see outfits that slightly resemble the runway collection it will trigger a conscious reminder of how over the top it was. Anything with the Dior name on it sells, you can't say that for the more 'run of the mill' houses out there....

The clothes were ugly, but the purses were somehow kind of nice :flower:

lets try and forget about the creepers and the CREEPY make up.

the clothes are just awful themselves... they got absolutely NO shape.
like potato sacks :yuk:

i'm just watching this carefully now (the whole show :doh: )
so, regardless the useless styling/editing/shapes :rolleyes:
i admit that strictly on colour terms his yellow-nile blue/green combinations (first group) were quite cute.

evidence :P

00040f.jpg

00080f.jpg

Silly, stupid and tacky. :sick: John tries, once again, to insult our intelligence. :rolleyes: :angry:

ABSOLUTELY FAUX-PASS CLOTHES! :yuk:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 4th, 2004 - 9:41 am
:shock: scary :yuk:

00460f.jpg
When I first saw this look last night at style.com, but jaw dropped in disgust and amazement. Soooooooooo bad. :sick:

ouch! :doh:

it's like a kick in the eye!!!! :yuk:

i love Hedi Slimane and i hate john galliano... how is it possible that they BOTH work for Dior???

will those pieces of crap sell at least to recover from production costs? i think NO. :sick:

I would soo love seeing Hedi doing the women's collections also :o

I'm soooooo dissappointed. I love John and I usually love his collections, but this one just didn't work. I personally love what he has done to make Dior one of the leaders of fashion nowadays, but this was too over the top, too in your face, just too much. The use of color was great, and the pompadours on the models were kinda cute actually, but I just didn't find this appealing. I'm hoping that this was just an error in judgement on his part and that this will not be a new direction for him. Remember, every designer has a bad collection now and then. The bags were great too, plus, they're a great alternative to the tiny clutches being shown. Any woman with a lot of stuff in her bag will appreciate them.

:heart: u John, but please, don't let this happen again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->